PDA

View Full Version : Another glitch

exwinger
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Had the spyder in for some service updates , belt alignment ,etc. , etc.. Found I have a bad radio and waiting for a replacement .Now I'm having an intemittent problem when starting .Go thru the sequence and all is fine until I hit the starter button then nada , not doing anything , no clicks or funny screen. If I put the bike in neutral it starts fine . It acts like the clutch isn't engaging while in gear when trying to start. During this sequence it is almost possible to get the bike out of gear , thought I was going to snap my foot off trying to shift up for neutral. Haven't tried putting it in reverse first during the non starting and then going to neutral. To me it has to be something in the clutch action but just wondering if anyone else had this problem. Getting ready to head out on a 1500 mile trip and don't want to maybe get stranded. Dealer was closed so can't contact them until tomorrow.

NancysToy
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing you have an SM. Check the clutch switch, under the handlebar. Could be the trip lever got bent or broken. This sometimes happens when cleaning or polishing the Spyder. On a very few the clutch switch has come loose or disconnected.

recordingguy
08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Had kinda the same problem before leaving for Cuba in the spring. Twas the battery. New one took care of the problem. Only one year old. Bought a deca not oem. Good luck. Bob