PDA

View Full Version : A jingle in the front?

HedonismBot
08-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Now that it isn't 110 with 85% humidity in St. Louis, we've been able to get the RTS out and about. I've notice a sort of tinny rattle or jingle (sort of like keys hitting each other) coming from what sounds like the front. It always when we start out riding after it's been parked for 24hours or more. Generally it goes away after 10 minutes or so. I don't have anything in the frunk and nothing appears to be visibly loose like a bolt or nut.

I thought I had read another post recently about the parking brake or brakes causing a sound for a short period of time after being parked. We've got about 400 miles on it right now. Any ideas as to the mystery sound?

Other than that weird noise, we've had no mechanical problem or codes! One fog light burnt out though :hun: So, we'll have them fix that at the 600 mile service. It definitely shouldn't be out.

StanProff
08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Now that it isn't 110 with 85% humidity in St. Louis, we've been able to get the RTS out and about. I've notice a sort of tinny rattle or jingle (sort of like keys hitting each other) coming from what sounds like the front. It always when we start out riding after it's been parked for 24hours or more. Generally it goes away after 10 minutes or so. I don't have anything in the frunk and nothing appears to be visibly loose like a bolt or nut.

I thought I had read another post recently about the parking brake or brakes causing a sound for a short period of time after being parked. We've got about 400 miles on it right now. Any ideas as to the mystery sound?

Other than that weird noise, we've had no mechanical problem or codes! One fog light burnt out though :hun: So, we'll have them fix that at the 600 mile service. It definitely shouldn't be out.

Check your mirrrors, mine has a squeak from time to time, it would keep time with the motor so I thought it had to be a valve or something. I thought it was coming from the right side of the engine but actually it was the left hand mirror :shocked: I have some hearing loss on the left side and i was going over the right side every witch way to find it, I happened to reach up for some reason, maybe to adjust the mirror, and the squeak stopped when i touched it. A lot of worry over nothing. Anyway I removed the mirror and rebent the little tabs and popped it back on and the squeak is gone.

HedonismBot
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Check your mirrrors, mine has a squeak from time to time, it would keep time with the motor so I thought it had to be a valve or something. I thought it was coming from the right side of the engine but actually it was the left hand mirror :shocked: I have some hearing loss on the left side and i was going over the right side every witch way to find it, I happened to reach up for some reason, maybe to adjust the mirror, and the squeak stopped when i touched it. A lot of worry over nothing. Anyway I removed the mirror and rebent the little tabs and popped it back on and the squeak is gone.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check them tonight.

Bob Denman
08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
I used to be bothered by some squeaks, squeals, rattles, groans and pops all of the time until I quit cleaning the wax out of my ears... :shocked: :roflblack:
(And that was just me getting up out of my favorite chair!)

boborgera
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I used to be bothered by some squeaks, squeals, rattles, groans and pops all of the time until I quit cleaning the wax out of my ears... :shocked: :roflblack:

One advantage with my Tri Glide, Is Squeaks, Squeals, Rattles, Groans, And Pops disappear as soon as you fire up the engine.:roflblack:
The Spyder is just too quiet and you will hear things that are bothersome.:dontknow:

HedonismBot
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Haha!

Yah I don't expect a Town Car quiet environment but the worrier in me immediately thinks, "A bolt is loose...my wheel is going to come off at 75mph." It's probably nothing but being our first, we don't want to ryde it and cause more damage if something is really wrong. I don't want to be the one that breaks our pride and joy by neglecting a noise. :2thumbs:

exwinger
08-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I had a funny noise on mine also which you could hear when strarting out and I thought it was from the front . Had a buddy listen to it and found out it was really coming from the back.Did some checking and found the belt was out of alignment and rubbing the inside. Check your belt against the sprocket and see if you have any clearance at all. Mine was tight against the sprocket. Had belt aligned and no more " funny noise ".

Bob Denman
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
That is ALWAYS a good thing to check when there's kind of a funky noise that defies descriptions. Nice Catch! :firstplace: :thumbup:
BRP even issued a service bulletin about this... but I don't know how to access it! :opps:

dliszews
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
"A jingle"???....if your RT is red and you have 9 reindeer in front of you, I have
a hunch :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

HedonismBot
08-13-2012, 03:14 PM
"A jingle"???....if your RT is red and you have 9 reindeer in front of you, I have
a hunch :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

It is red... :roflblack:

HedonismBot
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I had a funny noise on mine also which you could hear when strarting out and I thought it was from the front . Had a buddy listen to it and found out it was really coming from the back.Did some checking and found the belt was out of alignment and rubbing the inside. Check your belt against the sprocket and see if you have any clearance at all. Mine was tight against the sprocket. Had belt aligned and no more " funny noise ".

Well the back of the belt looks good. I don't see it rubbing against the sprocket. There's enough clearance. So, I'll chalk it up something else and not worry. It'll be in for the 600 soon enough.

donnellpj
08-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I've had it since day one. It's very subtle, and it sounds like its coming from my left lower leg area, somewhere off the engine. Sometimes these sounds can be deceiving, especially at speed.

I have never been able to see anything obvious with my eyes, and I check every time I pull the Tupperware off.

I have heard rumors of some people being able to "hear the fuel boiling" in the tank, due to the heat from the exhaust, but I have no way to confirm that is what I am hearing.

Much the same, no technical issues thus far with 1K miles on, so I try not to sweat it.

I plan to bring it up at my next maint visit. Maybe they know something I don't.

CanAmChris
08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Don't know if it is the same thing, but on my RSS I have the same type of sound... still do. I could never figure it out until one day I decided to touch the ignition key while riding. Sure enough that was it. As soon as I put my finger on the key, it went away. I let go and it started again. The cagers must have though I was nuts because I was laughing and cursing at the same time.

HedonismBot
08-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Don't know if it is the same thing, but on my RSS I have the same type of sound... still do. I could never figure it out until one day I decided to touch the ignition key while riding. Sure enough that was it. As soon as I put my finger on the key, it went away. I let go and it started again. The cagers must have though I was nuts because I was laughing and cursing at the same time.

That's interesting and pretty darn funny. My wife and I went out last night with me in the back position and I could not hear it. So, it's totally up in the front. It'd be pretty funny if it's the zipper in the frunk rattling around :p

donec
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Is it a better jingle than "Drive a Chevrolet in the USA da du da du da"?

HedonismBot
08-15-2012, 08:58 AM
lol I dunno about better ;)