PDA

View Full Version : P1614 are back

Gortwol
08-13-2012, 05:45 AM
The dreaded code is back, had lots of trouble with this on an long trip, three mornings with the code. Several attempts at starting and walking away and it would stop coming up. Dealer had a look on buds and made "adjustments". Last trip out doing about 300 km for the day, stopped the afternoon. Left overnight and started next morning......P1614 is back. Rough idling, unburnt fuel smell is strong. Switch of, wait, try again, same, again, same. Four attempts and no joy. Left it for about half hour, came back and started up no problem. What is this? Trust is damaged in this relationship. This machine is our preferred touring option and want to go on long extended trip, but if i have to worry about it not starting in the mornings...then it is not going well. All good and well if it happens close to civilization, but out in the middle of nowhere and it becomes less fun. Any advice on what i should tell the dealer to "steer" them in the right direction.

NancysToy
08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
You need to have your throttle body replaced. Your dealer did you no favors by taking a shortcut. He should be ashamed! This problem will not get better by itself!!!

Gortwol
08-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Workshop guys are generally good but are not overly interested in the Spyder, they do the basic but do not spend time researching issues. If only they will be open to advice from us ryders, I am by no means a mechanic and have little desire to work on the spyder beyond basic stuff, but i am a enthusiast and ready to ask read and research stuff. Thanks for input.

NancysToy
08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
There is a service bulletin on this issue, and the BRP support staff is very familiar with it. Sorry to hear your dealer isn't enthusaistic enough to do his job. Have them order a throttle body for you and all will be well...after they also do the necessary software updates following replacement, and zero the positioner.

Gortwol
08-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Is there an online database for service bulletins?

NancysToy
08-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Is there an online database for service bulletins?
Unfortunataely, no. There is a series of service bulletins and updates on this issue, beginning with TSB 2011-0008. Your dealer should be able to look them up on his computer if he is an authorized dealer. I don't have them all, but if you get stuck and need 2011-0008, PM me and we'll work something out.

Gortwol
08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks mate, the dealer woke up and did a search for bulletins on my vin number and found some outstanding and are now in the process of getting it done. Seems there is four outstanding, but not the one you mentioned. Hopefully things will improve.

NancysToy
08-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks mate, the dealer woke up and did a search for bulletins on my vin number and found some outstanding and are now in the process of getting it done. Seems there is four outstanding, but not the one you mentioned. Hopefully things will improve.
The one I mentioned was superceded by one or two others, so he could be OK. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Gortwol
08-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Things are moving at a new pace, dealer contacted tech support at BRP australia and are "finding" lots of information they "never" knew about. Hopefully they get back on track and all Spyders get the service they need.