PDA

View Full Version : Using The 12 V Power Outlet?

A1A
08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
This may have been asked before, but I couldn't fined it. I have an extension cord plugged into the power source located in the top storage compartment. I understand the outlet provides a constant power source from the battery if left plugged in with the engine off.
My question is the extension cord has a 3 anp fuse with a on/off switch attached to the male end of the cord. Can I leave the extension cord and attached XM radio hooked togeather plugged into outlet and just turn the switch off at the male fused plug? Or will I still have to remove the male extension plug completely after turning off the engine?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 03:45 PM
This may have been asked before, but I couldn't fined it. I have an extension cord plugged into the power source located in the top storage compartment. I understand the outlet provides a constant power source from the battery if left plugged in with the engine off.
My question is the extension cord has a 3 anp fuse with a on/off switch attached to the male end of the cord. Can I leave the extension cord and attached XM radio hooked togeather plugged into outlet and just turn the switch off at the male fused plug? Or will I still have to remove the male extension plug completely after turning off the engine?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

As long as the in line switch is in the off position and your xm radio is unable to power up. You should be fine.

A1A
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Ok guys and I appreciate your very quick resonses. I was hoping the switch off would work. I'd hate to cause wear and tear on the outlet plug pushing in and pulling out all the time.

:cheers:

A1A
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Wrong info given for fuse,

12VDC, 10A Output

12VDC Input

10A, 250V fuse protection

It will still be OK to just use the On/Off switch right?

NancysToy
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Wrong info given for fuse,

12VDC, 10A Output

12VDC Input

10A, 250V fuse protection

It will still be OK to just use the On/Off switch right?
Yes, but that's a lot of juice. The RT outlet is only rated and fused for 10 amps, so if your device takes that much, it would be possible to blow the Spyder fuse instead of the inline fuse. If your device can operate on a lower fuse, I'd install a smaller rating inline. If your device pulls 10 amps, I'd seriously consider an auxiliary fuse block to feed it, ir wire it direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

A1A
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, but that's a lot of juice. The RT outlet is only rated and fused for 10 amps, so if your device takes that much, it would be possible to blow the Spyder fuse instead of the inline fuse. If your device can operate on a lower fuse, I'd install a smaller rating inline. If your device pulls 10 amps, I'd seriously consider an auxiliary fuse block to feed it, ir wire it direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

NancysToy,
The radio Power Requirements: 9-16 V DC, 500 mA (Max.)
What are your thoughts for this?
Thank you