PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the

LLSailor
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
lower back. Getting time off from work at the same time as the wife is an exercise in futility. Got my RT-S in May, and finally we both had the day off and the temps are still in the 90s. So off we went. 100+ miles later and she's fine, but my back is telling me that a change in seating stucture is in order. I bought Burp with the BRP comfort seat right out of the box, which might be part of the problem, after a while, I have to sit up straighter. Suggestions are solicited and appreciated.

Harley
08-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I was bothered with lower back pain also after a hundred miles, more or less. I had a Utopia back rest installed at Cowtown about three weeks ago. We rode about 250 miles today and no lower back pain. Best mod I could have added for my back. I also had a set of Corbin arm rests installed to make a more comfortable ride for the wife. Now we are both ready for longer rides. I hope this information helps.
rm

TuckMiddle
08-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Their Spyder backrerst is the answer for me. I have a "swivel point" between the 8th and 9th vertebrae due to botton 8 being welded together. The Utopia back rest has a 1/2 inch or more slight indentation in the center part of the back pad and my "universal joint" fits right in there. It's more comfortable than any of our Lazy Boy recliners and we've got three of em. Rode 200 miles today with the HOGS and It was like having a day off. Have about 20,000 miles with the Utopia since last Aug and it's worth every penny to me. The backrests on my old Magna and Helix scooter don't have the indentation. Have to get that done.

The forward pegs on the Spyder also will perhaps help your back. Mine sure do. You get to change the geometry of your lower back and body with them and they really help to keep everything pretty much pain free.:firstplace:

Tuck

Bob Denman
08-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Everybody is pointing you in the direction of a backrest; who am I to argue? :dontknow:
Make the call; your spine will thank you for it! :thumbup:

fastfraser
08-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Before you make the call, find someone with the set-up you are looking for and give it a try . Your wife may not find the limited space left for her that great .:dontknow:

Farmboy
08-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Everybody is pointing you in the direction of a backrest; who am I to argue? :dontknow:
Make the call; your spine will thank you for it! :thumbup:

:agree::agree::agree:

I love my back rest.

Netminder
08-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree with everyone above. Back has not bothered me since installing the Utopia backrest. I think with seal floorboards, the comfort package should be complete!

LLSailor
08-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replys/suggestions. Guess I need to start checking out the backrests, but also might have to change seats. I'm afraid the comfort seat driver's seat is too far back to make the backrest useful.

TimmieTheGeek
08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
I agree with fastfraser. If you can, find someone who has a backrest and see if the reduced passenger space is okay for you. I really like my Corbin backrest, which is quite adjustable, but my passenger prefers not have it installed as it restricts her space. Fortunately it's easy and quick to install/uninstall so when I'm riding alone I have it and don't suffer any lower back issues. When she's riding with me it comes off and I don't complain as she provides a rather nice backrest. :p But it would be a good idea if you could see one on someone else's bike before you invest.

saint999
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree with fastfraser. If you can, find someone who has a backrest and see if the reduced passenger space is okay for you. I really like my Corbin backrest, which is quite adjustable, but my passenger prefers not have it installed as it restricts her space. Fortunately it's easy and quick to install/uninstall so when I'm riding alone I have it and don't suffer any lower back issues. When she's riding with me it comes off and I don't complain as she provides a rather nice backrest. :p But it would be a good idea if you could see one on someone else's bike before you invest.

Do you find the Corbin seat stiff? I have heard things about that.

SpyderRocks
08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
We have an RT with the Corbin seat with back rest, and both love it. It is a bit stiff at first but we've found it quite comfy. Just added a couple of sheepskin pads which were highly recommended for help with the "hot seat" issues of summer ryding.

I'm sure my husband (KCPete) would be more than happy for an excuse to ryde and meet up with you so you can check it out. He researches EVERYTHING thoroughly before buying a mod too so I bet he can tell you why he picked out the Corbin. We both work during the week but it looks like the weather should be great again next weekend!

Flight Risk
08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
On Sept 4th I send a spare seat to the Day Long folks. Their seat is made for you.....not some generic configuration. I'm having them put on a drivers back rest as well. I've sat on a Corbin and dang they are hard. I am butt bone on seat so I need a seat that addresses that problem. Currently I do have a Utopia on my stock RTS seat.......that backrest is a lifesaver and looks like it is stock. I have a bad back as well and I couldn't go on these longer trips without it

exwinger
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Utopia backrest is the best. Only problem with it on the spyder is that it cramps the passenger but when I ride double she's my backrest. If you plan on taking it on and off I highly suggest you get the removable piece right off the bat even though it costs a little more. You can put a hinge pin ( type for securing ball lock ) but this leave a piece sticking up which is in the way and could be hazardous to body parts if you have to come to sudden stop for some reason.....been there . Without the quick release it's a pain in the butt to put back on.

LLSailor
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Just got off the phone and website for Utopia. Ordered my backrest!:clap:Thanks for all the suggestions.

LLSailor
09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
The Utopia backrest is in! Headed down to Reno's later today to get it installed.

LLSailor
09-20-2012, 06:46 PM
The seat is on.

Rar
09-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Really sharp looking. :thumbup: I like it. Let us know how YOU like it. :D