PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who has an IPOD

ruthie
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Does the IPOD keep charging while the bike is off?

phj
08-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Does the IPOD keep charging while the bike is off?

Yes!

A question for you, when you stop for gas or anything and you have been playing your IPOD and after starting again does the IPOD start playing right away or is there a delay (several minutes)? I have found I need to unplug the IPOD and then plug it in again for it to start playing right away.

BlueLine
08-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Your question got my curiosity up. I went to the garage and plugged my iPhone into my Spyder and didn't get any indicator on it's face. I then turned on the key and the iPhone responded and indicated a charge icon in the upper right corner. I then cut the key off, and immediately lost the "Charge Icon". I'd say a safe assumption is that it doesn't charge with the key OFF.

Arr MiHardies
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
It starts playing right away.

Pennyrick
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Turning off the ignition, allows everything to power down on that circuit before things shut down completely. I'm not certain but I believe this gives the I-pod or I-phone in that circuit time to power off completely. I know when I look at the device nothing is lit up.

Since there is no power coming through the right side plug (facing forward) in the rear compartment, there isn't any way the I-Pod would be charging when the power is switched off.

My I-Pod is the 30GB Classic model and sometimes if the Spyder has been re-started shortly after shut down, it will take several minutes for the re-connection on the I-Pod to occur.

ruthie
08-11-2012, 05:11 PM
which IPOD do you folks have? My is an old one and thinking about a new one.

PHJ, I think my IPOD comes right back on. If it doesn't it's not a enough delay for me to really notice.

NancysToy
08-11-2012, 05:40 PM
My iPod Nano Gen 5 picks up right where it left off, right after the engine starts.

Moosemanj
08-11-2012, 06:25 PM
My iPod Nano Gen 5 picks up right where it left off, right after the engine starts.

:agree: That is how my 5th Gen Nano works!

Ga Blue Knight
08-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Your question got my curiosity up. I went to the garage and plugged my iPhone into my Spyder and didn't get any indicator on it's face. I then turned on the key and the iPhone responded and indicated a charge icon in the upper right corner. I then cut the key off, and immediately lost the "Charge Icon". I'd say a safe assumption is that it doesn't charge with the key OFF.

I believe that the 2012 12 volt plug is live when the bike is off

BlueKnight
08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
2011 Limited, does NOT keep charging the ipod when the bike is off.

spacetrucker
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes the bike dose keep charging on my 2012 in the iPod in put and will draine your battery be wacht full..

NancysToy
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes the bike dose keep charging on my 2012 in the iPod in put and will draine your battery be wacht full..
Mine has never drained my battery, even when left for weeks at a time. Better have your radio checked. That is the most likely cause of your parasitic loss.

eddieshep999
08-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a I Pod 6th Gen Nano
It appears to still be charging up after I switch off my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model

After switching my Spyder off - If I check the I Pod in the trunk the display appears to be off (Blank)
Its only when you press the ON/OFF switch you see the closing down sequence running
this would suggest the I Pod was being charged up'd

Even if I haven't used the Spyder for a couple of days the I Pod will start at the same point it had stopped once the Spyder is switched on

I hadn't considered that this could drain the Spyders battery down but the drain must be very low so it may not be
a problem anyway

Anyone know if having the I Pod being left on charge all the time will effect the I Pod e.g Long term battery life on the
I Pod shorten'd due to it be charged up for so long and not allowing the I Pod to run down fully then being recharged

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

phj
08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a I Pod 6th Gen Nano
It appears to still be charging up after I switch off my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model

After switching my Spyder off - If I check the I Pod in the trunk the display appears to be off (Blank)
Its only when you press the ON/OFF switch you see the closing down sequence running
this would suggest the I Pod was being charged up'd

Even if I haven't used the Spyder for a couple of days the I Pod will start at the same point it had stopped once the Spyder is switched on

I hadn't considered that this could drain the Spyders battery down but the drain must be very low so it may not be
a problem anyway

Anyone know if having the I Pod being left on charge all the time will effect the I Pod e.g Long term battery life on the
I Pod shorten'd due to it be charged up for so long and not allowing the I Pod to run down fully then being recharged

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

According to the wire prints my dealer tech showed me the IPOD continues to charge on the 2012 RT S SE5 with the key off.

spacetrucker
08-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Just unplug it when you stop for the day or night that's what I do and yes it stays on in charge mode all the time. It is not the radio that people say it is done the check on radio and joy it ...just take it out when done for the day...10-4

Bob Denman
08-12-2012, 07:44 AM
This all reminds me; I've still got to get mine fixed! :shocked: :gaah:

harrypottar
08-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I have an older 60 gb iPod, don't know the generation but it's when they first cames out with color video on the small screen. Anyway, it play fine, starts up where it left off within a few seconds of starting the bike.

The issue I have is holding the right button for a few seconds will go to the next playlist but will not play them all. Cycles through a select few and I've had the odd crash where I have had to reset the iPod.

Plan to get one of the new solid state ones to leave on the bike, see how that does.

Harry

ruthie
08-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Any one use the Ipod Shuffle on the bike? Trying to find out what is best, the Shuffle or Nano before I get a new one.

NancysToy
08-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Any one use the Ipod Shuffle on the bike? Trying to find out what is best, the Shuffle or Nano before I get a new one.

Does the Shuffle have the standard iPod connector? If not, you won't be able to charge it as you ride, or control it from the handlebar.

I do think the versions like the Nano and Shuffle, with solid state storage rather than the hard drive on the standard model, are better with the Spyder. JMHO

SpydherLuv
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I use a first gen iPod touch on my 2011 RTS SE and it does not charge once the key is turned off. I've had the battery on the iPod completely drained and it will start right up once power is restored it (i.e. key turned on). The 12v socket on the opposite side of the iPod connector stays hot and will cause a drain if you have something plugged into it and turned on - these two plugs are not connected and are independent from one another. Did BRP change the iPod port to always stay hot on the 2012's? Seems strange they would do that, but stranger things have been known to happen. ;)

glynnk
08-14-2012, 05:28 PM
I use a first gen iPod touch on my 2011 RTS SE and it does not charge once the key is turned off. I've had the battery on the iPod completely drained and it will start right up once power is restored it (i.e. key turned on). The 12v socket on the opposite side of the iPod connector stays hot and will cause a drain if you have something plugged into it and turned on - these two plugs are not connected and are independent from one another. Did BRP change the iPod port to always stay hot on the 2012's? Seems strange they would do that, but stranger things have been known to happen. ;)

Agree. My Ipod came with my 2010 RT-S PE and it was my understanding that when the bike was turned off it quit charging. Anything however plugged into the 12v would continue charging after turning off the bike.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

NancysToy
08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I think the differences are more likely in the iPods...or in cables that don't seat completely. On my 2010, and now on my 2012, the iPod remains charged for at least several weeks. I can't say for sure that it is charging, but it doesn't run down and always has a full battery indication if I pull it off. I even forgot it for a couple of months last winter, and it was fully charged when I finally remembered it. Mine is an iPod Gen 5 Nano.

bluestratos
08-14-2012, 06:26 PM
After my radio was replaced with 2012 version it does not always continue to charge after the bike is turned of. I have to be sure to manually turn it off the first time I put the ipod in the trunk after taking it out for any reason. Then the Ipod will return to off when the bike stops after. Other wise the Ipod is dead after a few days of not riding. It returns to the last song after restarting but if I just turn the volumn off while riding it is actually still playing.

If the Ipod battery is dead, it will take a few minutes to charge it before it starts playing again, in the mean time it says "AUX". As soon as the Ipod has enough power it automatically switches to "Ipod"

Lamonster
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Add me to the list of 2012 ipod/iphone connected to the right side apple plug does NOT charge when the bike is off. It will drain till it's dead.

Gortwol
08-21-2012, 12:46 AM
iPod plugged into the right side port to interface with the inbuilt sound system will not charge after ignition is off. Never checked the 12 volt outlet but by default unplug from this outlet when we leave the Spyder for longer than the basic pitstop.

SpyderFun
08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
On my 2010 RTS I have noticed that if I use the left-side 12v plug the battery drain continues until the iPod is charged. Using the iPod connector (not the earpiece out), the right-side DIN connector stops charging with key off, but the iPod seems to continue to run off of its own battery until drained .