PDA

View Full Version : Recently Declassified: Spy Satellite KH-9 Hexagon

Jeriatric
08-11-2012, 02:23 PM
This is a National Reconnaissance Office video from codename Hexagon, a Cold War era spy-sat photo program.

Twenty KeyHole "Big Birds" were launched from 1971 to 1986. Their resemblance to Hubble Space Telescope is not merely coincidental.

One of many projects where Titan Missiles were used. Note the number of company's involved in the program.

Big Bird was considered the most successful space spy satellite program of the Cold War era.

Each satelite contained 60 miles (100 kilometers) of film and sophisticated cameras that orbited the earth snapping vast, panoramic photographs of the Soviet Union, China and other potential foes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LQq9KcEw7nk

Recovering a Secret Spy Satellite Capsule from 16,400 feet Below the Pacific Ocean

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/historical-collection-publications/underwater-ice-station-zebra/Hexagon%20Booklet%20web%20FINAL.pdf

http://www.foia.cia.gov/hexagon-capsule.asp

mhoecker
08-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Very interesting viewing and reading! I've shared it with my husband and son, who are also geeks (and very smart engineers).

Madonna

mooneych
08-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow, how interesting! I read an article within the last month that the National Reconassance Office (NRO) has provided NASA with 3 Hubble Class telescopes for its use. NASA's budget has been cut lately, and it was nice to know that someone was around to lend them a hand.

Thanks for sharing.

Oldmanzues
08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
It was reported in the open press, that elments of this system were on view at the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio.
However, I can not confirm or deny this information.
Name change National Muesum of the USAF in Dayton, ohio.Even has limited M/C parking close to main entrance.
Oldmanzues

ThreeFeet
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM
:yikes:nojokeBIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!:cus:

Eraser
08-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Get used to it.:yikes:

Camo.....lots of Camo!!!!:roflblack:

Jeriatric
08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Nothing to fear

Arr MiHardies
08-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Why do you think people shoot guns in the air? Trying to poke out those eyes in the sky! :joke:

boborgera
08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Why do you think people shoot guns in the air?

Because of beer!, And i won't do it any more. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Camo.....lots of Camo!!!!:roflblack:

:agree:

bruiser
08-12-2012, 10:06 AM
My USAF background prohibits me from commenting on this matter. However, for a small fee...

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 10:13 AM
My USAF background prohibits me from commenting on this matter. However, for a small fee...

Were you part of the missile program?

Arr MiHardies
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Doesn't it also prohibit you from saying you are prohibited from commenting? I know a lot of non disclosure agreements in the private sector prohibit you from even saying you have signed a non disclosure agreement.

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Doesn't it also prohibit you from saying you are prohibited from commenting? I know a lot of non disclosure agreements in the private sector prohibit you from even saying you have signed a non disclosure agreement.

Not much different from how the military handles their top secret clearance procedures. You know, you file it away, and wait until they decide the rest of the world gets to know too.

bruiser
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I didn't sign a non disclosure with my company. However, I did have to sign a non compete form. But for a few dollars...

bruiser
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Were you part of the missile program?

Missle Program??? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Missle Program??? I have no idea what you're talking about.

In your first post you referred to your Air Force career and implied that you knew things. To know things. You would have needed to have been part of the program. No biggie. :thumbup:

mhoecker
08-12-2012, 01:38 PM

The government probably knows less about you than your insurance company!!

bruiser
08-12-2012, 03:59 PM
In your first post you referred to your Air Force career and implied that you knew things. To know things. You would have needed to have been part of the program. No biggie. :thumbup:

I was joking, didn't you see the last part where I said "for a small fee..." in my first post. I had friends in the missle program. One of them took his own life. But you have to remember, there were many other programs and AFSCs that one could not or cannot speak of. My job didn't stay the same in my 20 years in. Is that implication enough? I have respect for those who had to spend so much time stuck in a hole in the ground not knowing when and if they had to turn those keys and unleash the dogs of hell. I have that same respect for those who spend months in a tube under water not seeing the outside world. I'm not trying to be nasty Jerbear, just trying to get my point across Bro.

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 04:03 PM
We're cool bro :cheers:

bruiser
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks. Now, what do you now about that missle program? I have a good friend who would like some info for his book. :roflblack:

Jeriatric
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Now, what do you now about that missle program? I have a good friend who would like some info for his book. :roflblack:

I was 44250, I'm sure there are far more interesting folks for him to talk to than a guidance guy.

nojoke

bruiser
08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
When did you get out/retire? I hear they're not called AFSCs anymore.

Jeriatric
08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
When did you get out/retire? I hear they're not called AFSCs anymore.

Been out since Sept. '70....'kinda'. No longer called AFSC's......not doubt. When I signed on we had service numbers.....sometime before getting out they switched us over to the SSN system.

flaggerphil
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
KH-9, which last flew in the '80s, was '60s technology. Old stuff. An actual film camera that spit "buckets" of film out from time to time for reentry. It was kinda neat how they recovered them, but, again, old stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/HGZ7y.jpg

Jeriatric
08-16-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inCC-PAggRA

bruiser
08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Been out since Sept. '70....'kinda'. No longer called AFSC's......not doubt. When I signed on we had service numbers.....sometime before getting out they switched us over to the SSN system.

Yeah, 11706311 if my memory serves me. I may have to look it up on an old APR which is not an APR anymore.