PDA

View Full Version : OIL USEAGE

ma and pa
08-09-2012, 10:55 AM
How much oil useage is normal between oil changes? Thanks in advance.

boborgera
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
How much oil useage is normal between oil changes? Thanks in advance.

My 08 used less than a half quart, every 3 thousand miles.
Anywhere from a half to a quart would probably be considered normal.
Now if your over filling you'll be burning off the extra pretty quick.!

BajaRon
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I am not sure what 'Normal' is. Last trip, 6,000 miles, very hot, mostly freeway with a reasonable amount of twisties. I used a little less than 1/2 quart. On the same trip Lamont used a little over 1/2 quart on his RT pulling a trailer (most of the time).

boborgera
08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Maybe i should have said a haft to a quart is Acceptable between oil changes [3 thousand miles]

noel
08-09-2012, 07:05 PM
is it because the engine has not fully broken-in? does it stop burning oil with more miles and faster seating with conventional motor oil first before switching to synthetic oil?

Farmboy
08-12-2012, 07:43 AM
is it because the engine has not fully broken-in? does it stop burning oil with more miles and faster seating with conventional motor oil first before switching to synthetic oil?

I feel that BRP should never use.."start out with semi synthetic" at all. A good old stand by oil out of the ground till at least first 1000 miles so the rings get there grove cut and sealing. Then go full synthetic. Never had a "new bike of any kind" to use oil. But because they started with synthetic, they will NEVER stop using oil unless we re ring them and start all over again. "my 2 cents worth"

noel
08-12-2012, 09:43 AM
That's what I did with my BMW and only switched to full synthetic after the burning came to an end. And it worked! I wonder if I should do that with this since I'm still in the 600 break-in period. Any ideas?

NancysToy
08-12-2012, 09:55 AM
NicaSil cylinders and moly rings do not need (or benefit from) the break-in procedures that old engine technologies required. The rings are seated during the first few revolutions. You cannot wear into the hard cylinder walls, and there is no cross-hatch pattern to wear into. The oil usage here is not really due to burning oil, but to other issues like venting to the airbox. If any oil is pulled past the rings or valve guides, it would be because synthetics cling so well and are so slippery. Unfortunately, dino oils do not provide adequate lubrication, resistance to shearing, superior film strength, and other characteristics that these modern engines need. If the manufacturer, like BMW, says to use a break-in oil (usually dino oil), by all means do so. Those BMW models have conventional cast iron cylinder liners, and require the break-in. If a semi-synthetic is specified, or even a full synthetic, I'd go that route, especially with hardened cylinders. They don't just have an intern dream this stuff up. Their recommendations are based on the materials and methods used, factory tests, and sound engineering. JMHO

noel
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, the break-in was dino oil and no specification of either type later. But for those that switched to synthetics right away for the extra protection, they were burning more that those who continued using dino until it stopped burning or reduce to a smaller amount. And I believe they are Nikasil cylinders.
I do appreciate your opinion. Cheers.

BajaRon
08-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I started using Amsoil at the 600 mile oil change (which I did myself). My oil consumption has not varied all that much over time. I've now got 31,000 miles on my Spyder. I don't think having to add less than 1/2 quart during our latest 6,000 mile trip in June is all that bad.

It is impossible to argue with someone elses experience but the facts back Scotty on this one.

High RPM, high compression, high performance engines will always use more oil than their slow revolution, lower compression counterparts.

But I think everyone has come to the same, correct conclusion on one point. If you want increased engine wear, don't use full synthetic oil.

Farmboy
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
NicaSil cylinders and moly rings do not need (or benefit from) the break-in procedures that old engine technologies required. The rings are seated during the first few revolutions. You cannot wear into the hard cylinder walls, and there is no cross-hatch pattern to wear into. The oil usage here is not really due to burning oil, but to other issues like venting to the airbox. If any oil is pulled past the rings or valve guides, it would be because synthetics cling so well and are so slippery. Unfortunately, dino oils do not provide adequate lubrication, resistance to shearing, superior film strength, and other characteristics that these modern engines need. If the manufacturer, like BMW, says to use a break-in oil (usually dino oil), by all means do so. Those BMW models have conventional cast iron cylinder liners, and require the break-in. If a semi-synthetic is specified, or even a full synthetic, I'd go that route, especially with hardened cylinders. They don't just have an intern dream this stuff up. Their recommendations are based on the materials and methods used, factory tests, and sound engineering. JMHO

Very true, I agree. but why do our spyders... Use oil... no others do? I really don't have any other answer. I don't think any one does...I have not found any oil in air box as of yet. at 5000 miles about a full quart so far. my yamaha 28000 and not a drop below full at oil change time and Never had to add a drop. one 4 wheeler and 1 car, 1 truck one riding lawnmower one 40 hp tractor one river boat "4 stroke". all I got new and never had to add oil. or had to worry to take a bottle with me. dont get me wrong I am not talking bad about my spyder... just trying to make a point. we read about "limp nodes" "heat" etc... Its obvious that BRP engineering do not own a spyder:roflblack: sorry. just my "1 cent" on this one. Sure glad I love my spyder to put up with it.:bowdown:

noel
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Agreed to all of the above. All very valid points.

dave01
08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
My RT might use 1/8 of a quart between oil changes. Not bad, but my Busa uses none. Same with the GSXR 1000.

BajaRon
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
My RT might use 1/8 of a quart between oil changes. Not bad, but my Busa uses none. Same with the GSXR 1000.

I agree that the Spyder uses too much oil compared to just about anything else. I'd be curious as to what oil usage is on the Aprilia.

My comparrison was apples to apples with other Spyders.

dave01
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I can live with 1/8 quart. No problem for me. I think the Spyder motor isnt built to the tight specs the sport bikes are. My riding partner has a CanAm 800 quad and his use is about 1/4-1/2 quart between changes.

Ga Blue Knight
08-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Past experiences with the Rotax engine, many different cc's and applications would indicate that they all used oil at some level of consumption. It's just the nature of the engine design.

boborgera
08-13-2012, 07:00 AM
My 08 didn't use enough oil between changers to worry about, None of my previous bikes [Japanese] used oil ether. As a matter of fact my Tri Glide in over 10 thousand mile's hasn't used Any.
I think oil usage with the Spyder or most modern engines now days is not a problem,
In my opinion its a lot to do about nothing. :dontknow: