PDA

View Full Version : Installed Capt Jim's Belt Tensioner today...

cjackg
08-08-2012, 08:18 PM
After reading everything I could find on SpyderLovers about the belt
tensioner plus Capt Jim's Installation Instructions, I started on the tensioner
install on my 2012 RT this morning.

I decided to give it a try without removing any side panels, only the 2
plastic belt guards. After studying the mounting location from underneath the
spyder (on jack stands) I soon found the right location to mount the bracket and
drill the two holes in the frame. After I clamped the bracket in place
with longnose vicegrips, I decided to depart from the instructions and go ahead
and centerpunch & drill the forward hole while the bracket was clamped.
Then I put in the front bolt & nut and tightened them down. Now I was able
to remove the clamp and work on the back hole. Once it was drilled and the bolt
& nut installed I was done with the bracket and never had to move it
again. (It would be very difficult to mark both holes at the same time, so this
approach worked well.)

Now that the scary part was done, the rest was easy and Capt Jim's
instructions were accurate and complete in every aspect. After double checking
the alignment, tracking, and tensioner adjustment, I headed out for a short road
test. After driving just a few miles at speeds from 40 to 70 it was apparent
that the persistent belt related vibrations at various rpms were all gone! I still have
occasional harmonic vibrations from mystery causes but the belt related vibrations were noticeably gone.

Capt Jim's Smooth Spyder (sponsor) belt tensioner is a very high quality item and a significant
spyder performance improvement. It makes you wonder why BRP doesn't include this
as a standard feature on all Spyders since that super long spyder belt is always going to flex
and add vibrations any time you ride.

The following are a couple of pics from the install but the first one is from
Phil's install where he had the side panels removed and you can see the full
picture..

50963 50964 50965 50975

warp10
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
big improvement on vibration. a must do mod.:yes:

JRWW
08-09-2012, 02:17 AM
What is the difference between capt jims belt tensioner and the smoothspyder?

warp10
08-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I believe they are the same person.

cjackg
08-09-2012, 07:10 AM
What is the difference between capt jims belt tensioner and the smoothspyder? Same thing... He is a SpyderLovers sponsor..... http://www.smoothspyder.com/products.html

phj
08-09-2012, 07:49 AM
big improvement on vibration. a must do mod.:yes:

Yes, I agree!! I have removed a lot of the vibration but still have a little more to figure out and remove.:bowdown:

DougB
08-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I took my RT to Jim Potts Motorsports in Woodstock, IL. for the brake pin recall. Their service manager spotted my belt tensioner immediately and asked what it was. After explaining, he stated that it BRP would not honor the warranty on the belt with the tensioner. He got curious and took pics to show his mechanic. He knew nothing of the belt vibration problems. Then
I'm told he's never ridden a Spyder. He rides a Harley. DUH!!!
After reading everything I could find on SpyderLovers about the belt
tensioner plus Capt Jim's Installation Instructions, I started on the tensioner
install on my 2012 RT this morning.

I decided to give it a try without removing any side panels, only the 2
plastic belt guards. After studying the mounting location from underneath the
spyder (on jack stands) I soon found the right location to mount the bracket and
drill the two holes in the frame. After I clamped the bracket in place
with longnose vicegrips, I decided to depart from the instructions and go ahead
and centerpunch & drill the forward hole while the bracket was clamped.
Then I put in the front bolt & nut and tightened them down. Now I was able
to remove the clamp and work on the back hole. Once it was drilled and the bolt
& nut installed I was done with the bracket and never had to move it
again. (It would be very difficult to mark both holes at the same time, so this
approach worked well.)

Now that the scary part was done, the rest was easy and Capt Jim's
instructions were accurate and complete in every aspect. After double checking
the alignment, tracking, and tensioner adjustment, I headed out for a short road
test. After driving just a few miles at speeds from 40 to 70 it was apparent
that the persistent belt related vibrations at various rpms were all gone! I still have
occasional harmonic vibrations from mystery causes but the belt related vibrations were noticeably gone.

Capt Jim's Smooth Spyder (sponsor) belt tensioner is a very high quality item and a significant
spyder performance improvement. It makes you wonder why BRP doesn't include this
as a standard feature on all Spyders since that super long spyder belt is always going to flex
and add vibrations any time you ride.

The following are a couple of pics from the install but the first one is from
Phil's install where he had the side panels removed and you can see the full
picture..

50963 50964 50965 50975

Macca
08-09-2012, 08:20 AM
The Service Tech at Jim Potts may ride a HD but I can assure you he has ridden Spyders and is no doubt the best tech in the area. JMHO and experience.

Firefly
08-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I took my RT to Jim Potts Motorsports in Woodstock, IL. for the brake pin recall. Their service manager spotted my belt tensioner immediately and asked what it was. After explaining, he stated that it BRP would not honor the warranty on the belt with the tensioner. He got curious and took pics to show his mechanic. He knew nothing of the belt vibration problems. Then

I could certainly see them having warranty problems on the belt due to this modification... but I'm not sure they're really covering belts anyway as they are a wear item. I had 56,000 miles on my original belt without any problems.... had the belt tensioner on for the last 20,000 miles.

On my RT it feels so smooth I have not felt the need for the tensioner......

Pertaining to the HD and vibrations, certainly many HD's vibrate far more than the Spyder... in particular at idle... but once they are at speed they do smooth out quite a bit.

I still contend that many complaining about the Spyder vibrations just aren't familiar with having a 1,000 cc V-Twin underneath them....

DougB
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
He told me he had never ridden a Spyder

The Service Tech at Jim Potts may ride a HD but I can assure you he has ridden Spyders and is no doubt the best tech in the area. JMHO and experience.

DougB
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
I was told by him that BRP warranties the belt for 100,000 miles.

I could certainly see them having warranty problems on the belt due to this modification... but I'm not sure they're really covering belts anyway as they are a wear item. I had 56,000 miles on my original belt without any problems.... had the belt tensioner on for the last 20,000 miles.

On my RT it feels so smooth I have not felt the need for the tensioner......

Pertaining to the HD and vibrations, certainly many HD's vibrate far more than the Spyder... in particular at idle... but once they are at speed they do smooth out quite a bit.

I still contend that many complaining about the Spyder vibrations just aren't familiar with having a 1,000 cc V-Twin underneath them....

Jeriatric
08-09-2012, 11:05 AM

The belt is to be adjusted within a certain tension range dictated by BRP. As long as your belt is not adjusted to the top of that range your smoothspyder should not cause it to exceed BRP's edict on belt tension. Therefore there should not be any warranty issue. In fact...IMO....you are doing your Spyder and BRP a favor having installed it.

Just another service manager with a personal opinion.......no different than mine. Who's right?

NancysToy
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
In BRP's warranty exceptions it states:

Exclusions - Are Not Warranted

Normal wear and tear, such as, without limitation, wear and tear of the tires, battery, generator brushes, sealed beams and light bulbs, clutch plates and facings, drive belt, brake pads, brake linings and rotors and sprockets.

Jeriatric
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM

He needs to read up on what is warrantied and what is not.

bo9roadking
08-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I owned an HD RoadKing and I know what you mean about the v-twin vibration, but the RT has a harmonic vibration that is different. If it is the belt, like some people have mentioned, I may get the belt tensioner. I get a vibration at about 5500 RPM and it doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Once I get past that rpm range, everything is smooth again.

JJW SpyderRider
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
He told me he had never ridden a Spyder

Doug I don't think the service manager is there anymore. The service tech is good but there were questions about the manager. He told me and another rider that he had installled the new ECU filter. When I went to change my oil I found that he had not done mine or the other riders RT. I was not happy but he is not there anymore so I will continue to use the good tech that is still there and did most of the work on Spyders anyway.