PDA

View Full Version : Corbon seat and heat at gas access cover

bluestratos
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I have the corbin seat and have noticed that the heat that builds up under the seat comers out around the gas cover something fierce at times. I put some foam tape around the opening and it cured the problem but the heat is so much that it loosens the glue and the foam comes away. I also tried priming the contact area with 3M high strenghth adhsive but it still fails after a time. Any thoughts on how to make that foam tape stick? The tape I am using is the about 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick with self adhisive strip on the back.

Thanks for any help,

Randy

Jeriatric
08-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I have the corbin seat and have noticed that the heat that builds up under the seat comers out around the gas cover something fierce at times. I put some foam tape around the opening and it cured the problem but the heat is so much that it loosens the glue and the foam comes away. I also tried priming the contact area with 3M high strenghth adhsive but it still fails after a time. Any thoughts on how to make that foam tape stick? The tape I am using is the about 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick with self adhisive strip on the back.

Thanks for any help,

Randy

Permatex high heat - exhahust sealer should work.

I have the same seat but set back far enough that I've never noticed the heat. That siaid, it's a perfect place for it to escape.

Superior adhesion.
http://www.simsupply.com/p-29701-3oz-gasket-silicone.aspx?CAWELAID=1303355654&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COmCm4-u2LECFaMaQgodr2MA_A

DR Buck
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks for any help,

Randy

That's heat rising off the header pipes. It needs to escape somewhere.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42730-Scientific-Analysis-of-RT-Heat-Problem-almost

Jeriatric
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
That's heat rising off the header pipes. It needs to escape somewhere.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42730-Scientific-Analysis-of-RT-Heat-Problem-almost

True, it does need to escape somewhere. What amazes me is all the heat I've taken (pun intended) for openly stating BRP's radiator heat outlet design is flawed. People say heat off a motorcycle - is what it is. Yet, there seems to be a lot of concern about the heat under the seat. Isn't that normal? To me that's what heat under the seat is, and it's never been a problem for me. Strange.

bluestratos
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
The heat may have to escape somewhere but sure as heck not directrly on my thigh, lol. Yes the seat gets warm too but I can live with it for now but the heat that comes out of the gas door is not necessary as the orgional seat did not have one. I will try the silcone, just not sure how to hold it in place while it cures. I will have to study on that one.... I was thinking of creating a flange for the gas door to rest against using Bondo. If I pull the seat off I can masking tape and use release agent around the door and the opening then layer up some bondo and fiberglass. This will create the exact shape of the door but not sure if I can trim the leather back enough to allow for a good attachement point.

Jeriatric
08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a Corbin also and have been sitting on a BBQ seat for the last year or so. Heat around the seat and Glove box has been a problem since day one of the RT just like the right foot heat. I do believe the heat around the seat and glove box is a direct result of the piles of black plastic that is covering the top of the engine (all the air box stuff). Since I have removed all the air box plastic there is a ton of air flowing into the engine compartment area. The result of all the air coming in while riding is the glove box, top side pieces of plastic and seat temperature are the same as the ambient temp around you. I have a Thermocouple mounted above the air cleaner and it displays temperature near the glove box. I have ridden in 98 degree air with a heat index of over 115 and everything stays cool as compared to before I did this MOD. The only time the temp rises any is when I have to stop but as soon as you start moving again the temp comes down quite quickly.

The right side heat by the foot has never bothered me.

I don't agree with trying to stop the heat by sealing around the seat. Over time the plastic is going to deform.

Doc, I followed your air filter replacement post and while it sounds like a lot of work, it sounds like it yeilded great results. :thumbup:

Found this chart on here somewhere.....can't remember who posted it. Lamont? Anyway, do you have any idea where your engine is performing when compared to the info provided in the chart. Thanks jer