PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought the chrome handlebar cover off of ebay (plastic cover)

Hawk
08-08-2012, 07:56 AM
There is a cover on ebay that is made of ABS and chromed that covers the handlebars. Just sticks on with tape. Looks pretty decent, is cheaper than the factory one (although I think it is still too much), and you dont have to remove the entire half of the bike to put it on. I have the factory nav mount and I am pretty sure, it will not work with that. I asked the seller and they did not know. Anyone purchased one? If so do you think the factory GPS mount will work with it?

Buttsy
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Saw that the other day, would love to hear about the quality etc..................:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: With you on the price as well!

NorthStar
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The BRP Chrome handlebars, although super quality, cost an arm and a leg up here in Canada. The install is also a bear.

This offering is exactly what I have been looking for and it is definitely at the top of my purchase list.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Since I won't be buying this for a few more months, I too would appreciate it if someone who has or will purchase this item posts a review.

dickjanewats
08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
There is a cover on ebay that is made of ABS and chromed that covers the handlebars. Just sticks on with tape. Looks pretty decent, is cheaper than the factory one (although I think it is still too much), and you dont have to remove the entire half of the bike to put it on. I have the factory nav mount and I am pretty sure, it will not work with that. I asked the seller and they did not know. Anyone purchased one? If so do you think the factory GPS mount will work with it?

I purchased the cover and was very pleased with the quality of the cover. When I installed cover it fit nice but didn't want to go down on the handlebars and around the ignition switch. I have an IPS key holder and it would not fit with the cover. I used a 2" hole saw & drilled the bottom of cover for clearance. Installed cover and am very please with the fit. If you don't have the IPS key holder, I think you need to use a file around the hole on the cover to make it a little larger around the switch to fit down on the bars.

Hawk
08-09-2012, 07:42 AM
I purchased the cover and was very pleased with the quality of the cover. When I installed cover it fit nice but didn't want to go down on the handlebars and around the ignition switch. I have an IPS key holder and it would not fit with the cover. I used a 2" hole saw & drilled the bottom of cover for clearance. Installed cover and am very please with the fit. If you don't have the IPS key holder, I think you need to use a file around the hole on the cover to make it a little larger around the switch to fit down on the bars.

No GPS I am assuming. I wonder if it will interfere with the mount.

dickjanewats
08-09-2012, 08:01 AM
No GPS I am assuming. I wonder if it will interfere with the mount.

Correct, No GPS. The orginal 4 bolts are in still accessable, although they are recessed in the cover. Not sure how the GPS mounts but there is a small rectangular hole which matches the handlebar plug where I have a spyder decal that I purchased on e-bay that is still visable.

NorthStar
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Thank you for the update. Am I correct in assuming that after your mods to the unit you were able to utilize the IPS with this cover?
Can you post a close up picture of the installed cover?

Bob Denman
08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Can you grab us a link to this item? Thanks! :thumbup:

dickjanewats
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the update. Am I correct in assuming that after your mods to the unit you were able to utilize the IPS with this cover?
Can you post a close up picture of the installed cover?

Yes, I could use my IPS . Hopefully these pictures will help you.

Bumblebee67
08-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Can you grab us a link to this item? Thanks! :thumbup:

Here is one link on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Handlebar-Chrome-Top-Cover-For-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-/140820745732?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c9920e04&vxp=mtr :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks! :2thumbs:

flybuddy
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Looks very nice..Do you get any glare when sun is over your shoulder?? I recently put on polished Madstad footrests and I can get some wicked glare from them if the sun is in the wrong spot.

billythekidd
08-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Looks very nice..Do you get any glare when sun is over your shoulder?? I recently put on polished Madstad footrests and I can get some wicked glare from them if the sun is in the wrong spot.

I asked the same question about a year ago and no one seemed to have the problem with the BRP handle bar "cover", or at least never responded.

I use the KewlMetal GPS mount, (I like it better than the BRP mount that came with the limited) so I am sure it will work. I am getting the part today and am guessing that I will have to tear the whole side apart to remove the GPS wiring put on the chrome, then reinstall the GPS, right??

Willy