PDA

View Full Version : Paid too much for HMC filter?

stillriding
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Just had the oil and filters changed on my RTS SE5 today. The cost of the new engine filter was $21.99 and the filter for the transmission was $25.50 for the kit that included the larger cover. Isn't the cover supposed to be free? I asked the service manager about that and how much for the filter alone. He said they only have the kits, but no individual HMC filters. Therefore he doesn't know how much the filter alone would cost. By the way, he showed me both the new and old engine filters side-by-side and the new one appears to be much more substantial.

spyderbirds
08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Just purchased new oil and tranny filter (tranny filter and cover in kit) and the new o ring for both.
34.28 total with tax. ( over $10 of this were the o rings!)

my local dealer always gives me lower prices on parts than what I see as retail on BRP part site.

JJW SpyderRider
08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I paid about $16 for the ECM filter and new cover. They too only have the pair for now.

bluestratos
08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I bought the oil change kit that includes oil, two filters, gaskets and crush washers ro $87 after 10% discount (includes tax) from my dealer. They had already subsituted the small filter for the new set up and there was no addtional cost for the cover.

ulflyer
08-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Mine was done 24 Jul at dealer in Albemarle NC and the "filter cover kit (new cap, O ring, filter) was $7.85 and the oil filter was $13.12. They said they had the new filters in stock and old ones had been returned to BRP.

modagwood
08-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Is there a good after market engine oil filter available for the RT? Thanks for your help

JJW SpyderRider
08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Is there a good after market engine oil filter available for the RT? Thanks for your help

BaJaRon has filters that are better than the old BRP ones, see his add on the vendor page. I have several new ones from Ron and will use them before going to the new BRP filters. The new ECU filter looks to be very well made and I think the engine oil filter is built the same.

Grandpa Spyder
08-10-2012, 04:46 AM
I paid $27.00 and change for the 2 new oil filters at a local dealer. Somebody is making a killing on theirs.

Grandpa Spyder
08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
You do know the open goes in first right.

boborgera
08-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Has anyone, aside from me, had any trouble installing the updated BRP engine oil filter? I wound up putting a HiFlow back in that I had left over. Quite a struggle trying to get the cap back on. Wound up with a 1/8" gap every time. Maybe a different technique is in order, but I did it the same way as the last 5 or so changes. Part # is correct, and all that and the updated BRP filter is much more substantial than the old ones. And as you can see, the divot is shaped rather differently than the HiFlow. Just curious, will try again in 4K miles or so.

Patrick

Are you using the new cap [cover]:dontknow:

Pandy
08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Are you using the new cap [cover]:dontknow:

No such thing for the Engine Oil filter.

Sarge707
08-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Was NOT there something in writing saying when you buy the New Tranny Filter you get the cover free if you purchase it before May 2013??:gaah: Can anyone link to it as I know it was stated as such!!!

I want to bring something in PRINT@!!!

One dealer told me the only way its Free is if I buy the $85 WHOLE oil change kit? Sorry I use Amsoil I told him?:gaah:

bobbobtar
08-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Was NOT there something in writing saying when you buy the New Tranny Filter you get the cover free if you purchase it before May 2013??:gaah: Can anyone link to it as I know it was stated as such!!!

I want to bring something in PRINT@!!!

One dealer told me the only way its Free is if I buy the $85 WHOLE oil change kit? Sorry I use Amsoil I told him?:gaah:

I think the free part was for the black lower panel when you get a oil change from the dealer before May 2013. I just today bought the new trans. filter and cap $8.00

Littlebadwolf
08-18-2012, 04:35 AM
BaJaRon has filters that are better than the old BRP ones, see his add on the vendor page. I have several new ones from Ron and will use them before going to the new BRP filters. The new ECU filter looks to be very well made and I think the engine oil filter is built the same.

Ron's got the filters and the oil...Amsoil...and his shipping is lightning fast...I ordered a case of oil on Thursday afternoon and UPS pulled up on Friday morning delivering the oil...Now that's speedy service...^ Ron