PDA

View Full Version : HI

mick ruhdorf
08-07-2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png Hello
Hi everyone my name is mick and i need your help, i need as much firsthand info on the SPYDER as i think im goin to buy one very soon . I have been a motocycle rider for 35 yrs until i was run over on my triumph by a road train that ran a stop sign eight yrs ago, i have been in a wheelchair ever since i am not para but have been realy smashed up from knee to hip both sides (my phsio says my x-rays look like broken cookies) but i have finnally healed up enough to get back on the road im still not strong enough in the legs to hold up a bike when stopped so i thought when i saw a spyder online that one of them would be just the thing for me, so i need your firsthand knowledge/experience to aid me in my choice as to accesories and how to ride the spyder as i suspect it will be very different from a two wheeler, i have ridden a four wheeler and i suspect it may be similar ...but i just dont know . any help will be appreciated

Cheers m.j.ruhdorf (fester)

P.S has anyone got plans for a chair rack that is not mounted to the swingarm ?

zrc
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the Spyder community Fester, there are some amazing riders here that are doing exactly what you are looking for and I am sure they will pop up out of the woodwork to help.

:welcome:

CyncySpyder
08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
:congrats: & :welcome: Your correct about the Spyder being very different than a traditional 2 wheeler :thumbup:its a very different beast:shocked: but mostly in good ways, like you can't lay it down like a 2 wheeler and a newbie like Teddy & myself can take right to it with little acclimation. You may want to send SethO a PM about his wheelchair mount:rolleyes:we've seen it in person & its a pretty slick set-up:thumbup: Know that you've found the :firstplace: site on the www for ANYthing & EVERYthing :f_spider: related :yes::yes::yes: Most the forum members are eager to help and we're ALL more like an Extended Family on here :chat: So WELCOME TO THE PARTY:yes::2thumbs::yes:

acinpcola
08-07-2012, 04:56 PM
:welcome: Though I am not in a chair at this time my legs are weak to do denervation. I would say you should get the SE5, no clutch and you shift with your thumb and finger.

Be Safe and most of all, be comfortable with whatever you purchase

AC:spyder2:

ARtraveler
08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
:welcome: Take a look at the enabled spyder riders threads for a lot of information.

coz
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
you are in the right place, to do what you want to do. hand brake, floorboards, w/c rack, let er rip :thumbup:

mick ruhdorf
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and invaluable info and opinions. cyncy rider i too have a furry boss his name is nelson but unless i rip the frunk lid off i dont think hell be spyderin with me ,i have enjoyed reading of your adventures .Again thanks to all .:thumbup:

mick (fester)

gimpygary62
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png Hello
Hi everyone my name is mick and i need your help, i need as much firsthand info on the SPYDER as i think im goin to buy one very soon . I have been a motocycle rider for 35 yrs until i was run over on my triumph by a road train that ran a stop sign eight yrs ago, i have been in a wheelchair ever since i am not para but have been realy smashed up from knee to hip both sides (my phsio says my x-rays look like broken cookies) but i have finnally healed up enough to get back on the road im still not strong enough in the legs to hold up a bike when stopped so i thought when i saw a spyder online that one of them would be just the thing for me, so i need your firsthand knowledge/experience to aid me in my choice as to accesories and how to ride the spyder as i suspect it will be very different from a two wheeler, i have ridden a four wheeler and i suspect it may be similar ...but i just dont know . any help will be appreciated

Cheers m.j.ruhdorf (fester)

P.S has anyone got plans for a chair rack that is not mounted to the swingarm ?

Welcome aboard. I don't have plans but I can snap some pics if you like.

800steve
08-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and invaluable info and opinions. cyncy rider i too have a furry boss his name is nelson but unless i rip the frunk lid off i dont think hell be spyderin with me ,i have enjoyed reading of your adventures .Again thanks to all .:thumbup:

mick (fester)Hi Mick, I went to the spyder this year because leg issues. Hand brake and floor boards did the trick. All available on this site, with lots of help and advice. A really great and helpful group. You can take the dog with some work, check out BlueKnight911 on this site, Mike has a trailer for his dog. Good luck Steve.

ThreeFeet
08-12-2012, 09:18 AM
:welcome:you will really get almost all the info and help you can handle on this site. As said earlier PM SETHO his wheel chair rack is awsome. When you get your spyder let us know and take pictures we gotta see your"baby". The other thing is find a dealer and try one on for size. RT's a really comphy. RS's will take a wheel chair rack easily. And the semi automatic is the best way if you have a LOT of leg problems it's the SE-5 ( SEMI 5SPEED) think the E stands for electric but not sure.......:dontknow: Scotty where are you?:helpsmilie:

mick ruhdorf
09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Well i have finally taken the plunge i picked up my 2012 metallic black RS SM5 on friday and rode it home (400 m) on sunday WOW its tottaly diffrent from anything ive ever thrown a leg over. the ride overall was excellent after an ajustment period of about a hundred miles ,now im hooked, man it sure moves out when you twist the loud grip.:ohyea:

cheers from a very happy new :spyder: owner mick53176

btcherm
09-12-2012, 08:20 AM
:welcome::spyder2::ohyea::thumbup::congrats::coffe e::cheers::chat:

Rar
09-12-2012, 08:25 AM
AWESOME NEWS, Mick.:cheers: :clap::yes::2thumbs::welcome::congrats:

Big Arm
09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new purchase :clap:

Adirondack Mik
09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
:congrats::welcome:Now you have to work something out for poor Nelson

mick ruhdorf
09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
:congrats::welcome:Now you have to work something out for poor Nelson

poor nelson ??? the first thing he did when i got my new :spyder2: home was PEE ON IT :gaah:

cheers mick

Papa
09-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Congrats and welcome to a great group of people here on Spyderlovers. Lots of help, advice and friendship.

Dizneyman
09-13-2012, 06:09 AM
:congrats:...Enjoy the new ryde...

Adirondack Mik
09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
poor nelson ??? the first thing he did when i got my new :spyder2: home was PEE ON IT :gaah:

cheers mick
Maybe he was trying to tell you something Mick:roflblack:

Flight Risk
09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Outstanding Mick!!!!!!!!! You will love your Spyder for sure :clap:and :welcome::congrats:

gimpygary62
09-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Well i have finally taken the plunge i picked up my 2012 metallic black RS SM5 on friday and rode it home (400 m) on sunday WOW its tottaly diffrent from anything ive ever thrown a leg over. the ride overall was excellent after an ajustment period of about a hundred miles ,now im hooked, man it sure moves out when you twist the loud grip.:ohyea:

cheers from a very happy new :spyder: owner mick53176

Congrats on taking the plunge. It's hard to refrain from the rolling burnouts for sure! Enjoy the ride:yes:

CyncySpyder
09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
poor nelson ??? the first thing he did when i got my new :spyder2: home was PEE ON IT :gaah:cheers mick
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:You gotta love 'em:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Just in case you haven't seen this thread, may I suggest reading over it carefully, as its one of the BEST Threads I've EVER seen for new ryders.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

:congrats: on the New Ryde btw:yes::yes:

Now about Nelson:lecturef_smilie::roflblack: tell us more, like what breed, how much does he weigh etc etc:dontknow::hun:..... If he's not too big:opps: there are ways to make it work out with a Spyder and a smaller dog :thumbup:
Dave nTeddy~

mick ruhdorf
09-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Now about Nelson:lecturef_smilie::roflblack: tell us more, like what breed, how much does he weigh etc etc:dontknow::hun:..... If he's not too big:opps: there are ways to make it work out with a Spyder and a smaller dog :thumbup:
Dave nTeddy~[/QUOTE]

My commander in chief is an australian x british bulldog hes about 45 kg dunno what that is in pounds but hes heavy hes not very tall about 18 inches at the shoulder and about that wide across the chest hes not very athletic (cant even get into a car without help ) so i dont see him jumping up on the spyder and hes too heavy for the trunk so if he comes itll have to be in a trailer which is not on the cards for a few years yet so no spyderin for nelly :(

Adirondack Mik
09-14-2012, 06:26 PM
He's a beauty Mick, how much do you weigh maybe Nelson can drive:roflblack: Actually the trailer with the top holes would be great. I can see the leather RAF helmet and goggles now.:yes::yes:

Rar
09-15-2012, 06:50 PM

cheers mick

He was marking his territory. No one better mess with Nelson's Spyder!!!!:lecturef_smilie:

Farmboy
09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Look's like you have gotten a lot of input. I just want to say that you have beaten the bad odds and ready to ride. My hat is off to ya brother. ROCK ON AND RIDE!:thumbup:

Star Cruiser
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the Cluster!

I am a above knee (left) amputee and the Spyder has been a Godsend to me. I put about 80K km on an RS, similar to yours but 2008. Then I moved over to the RT-S this May. It is more comfortable, but not quite as quick. You are going to LOVE your new aquisition.....

Nice to hear some metric speak (LOL). I am forever converting F to C, Miles to km and lbs to kg......
This is a great place to be and a lot of good suggestions by real rYders. I do a lot of touring and have picked up a few tricks about carrying my leg around. ideas for transporting crutches motels....you get the drift...
Enjoy your new toy and BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. Remember there are two miles of ditch for every mile of road :)

mick ruhdorf
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the Cluster!

I am a above knee (left) amputee and the Spyder has been a Godsend to me. I put about 80K km on an RS, similar to yours but 2008. Then I moved over to the RT-S this May. It is more comfortable, but not quite as quick. You are going to LOVE your new aquisition.....

Nice to hear some metric speak (LOL). I am forever converting F to C, Miles to km and lbs to kg......
This is a great place to be and a lot of good suggestions by real rYders. I do a lot of touring and have picked up a few tricks about carrying my leg around. ideas for transporting crutches motels....you get the drift...
Enjoy your new toy and BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. Remember there are two miles of ditch for every mile of road :)

hi even though i spend most of my time in a chair i can walk short distances on crutches if the need arises (hurts like hell ) i was wondering how you carry yours mine dont fold or anything like that and there pretty heavy as am i 120 kg 187 cm so i need an easy way to carry them.
cheers mick

Star Cruiser
09-18-2012, 09:28 AM
hi even though i spend most of my time in a chair i can walk short distances on crutches if the need arises (hurts like hell ) i was wondering how you carry yours mine dont fold or anything like that and there pretty heavy as am i 120 kg 187 cm so i need an easy way to carry them.
cheers mick

I use a Prosthetic almost all of the time. I carry my crutches for in the motel room etc (or if my leg is bothering me). Mine are collapsable, but i think ca carry quite a bit of weight. I'll try to get the information on them if you are interested. They are available in Canada at Shoppers (major drug store chain) and at Walgreen's in the USA. Not sure about Ozzy Land? ($60 - $70 range, I think).
They fit nicely on the RS folded and attached to the passenger handles, one on each side. I used a velcro wrap. With the RT the vags are in the way, but I discovered that they fit in the FRUNK when collapsed and I take them apart. I can still fit a back pack in there with them. I can try to find a picture that I have "somewhere" and post it if you'd like to see. It is amazing how innovative some of the people ont his forum are.

I seem to remember somebody talking about using an ATV Rifle case / holder attached to the Spyder. It might be worth doing a search. Hve fun with the new machine - I KNOW you are going to have a blast

mick ruhdorf
09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
I use a Prosthetic almost all of the time. I carry my crutches for in the motel room etc (or if my leg is bothering me). Mine are collapsable, but i think ca carry quite a bit of weight. I'll try to get the information on them if you are interested. They are available in Canada at Shoppers (major drug store chain) and at Walgreen's in the USA. Not sure about Ozzy Land? ($60 - $70 range, I think).
They fit nicely on the RS folded and attached to the passenger handles, one on each side. I used a velcro wrap. With the RT the vags are in the way, but I discovered that they fit in the FRUNK when collapsed and I take them apart. I can still fit a back pack in there with them. I can try to find a picture that I have "somewhere" and post it if you'd like to see. It is amazing how innovative some of the people ont his forum are.

I seem to remember somebody talking about using an ATV Rifle case / holder attached to the Spyder. It might be worth doing a search. Hve fun with the new machine - I KNOW you are going to have a blast

thanks for the post star cruiser yeah might have to look into some fold up crutches ,as for enjoying the ride i certainly am went for a blast this afternoon and had such a good time that i forgot my afternoon meds and am now paying for it , but it was worth every bit of pain, so again thanks stay well and keep the shiny side up:thumbup:

enjoying it all mick :cheers: