PDA

View Full Version : Remove Front Speaker Grills?

rc51ny
08-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Well, I think I might have blown one of my front speakers (yea--blasting "Rolling Stones" too loud!! LOL). In any case, can anyone tell me how to remove the front speaker grills? Do they just "pop" off or do I need to remove body parts to get them off? Thanks

captblack
08-07-2012, 07:28 AM
The speaker grill just pops off, is a small screwdriver to get to pop it off. I'm not sure what's required to remove the speaker. You might have to remove the side panel.

rc51ny
08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
The speaker grill just pops off, is a small screwdriver to get to pop it off. I'm not sure what's required to remove the speaker. You might have to remove the side panel.

Thanks--I'll give it a try

Huntindawg1962
08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
search the forums - there is a thread with a video - not as easy as it sounds :) Lots of removal of sides and stuff

CyncySpyder
08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50867&d=1344346248And while you have them off, you may want to consider painting them to match the color of your Spyder, as it makes for a really nice & complete look, especially if you also do the dash bezel & rear grills.... just our opinion that we thought we'd share ;)

Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhere:dontknow:Good Luck:thumbup:

CyncySpyder
08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25474-Polk-Audio-Speaker-Replacement-on-the-RT

Firefly
08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Well, I think I might have blown one of my front speakers (yea--blasting "Rolling Stones" too loud!! LOL). In any case, can anyone tell me how to remove the front speaker grills? Do they just "pop" off or do I need to remove body parts to get them off? Thanks

You have to remove TONS of stuff to replace the front speakers. Mirrors. Both side panels. Dash panel. Windshield. Top of cluster. Glovebox, etc.

Plan on a good 4 hours to replace front speakers. nojoke

vrodrjs
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Here is a picture of mine when I replaced the speakers

harrypottar
08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Just asking, please don't shoot the curious, are blown speakers covered under warranty.

I would guess not but that's a lot of tupperware to remove for a speaker.

Harry

Firefly
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Just asking, please don't shoot the curious, are blown speakers covered under warranty.

I would guess not but that's a lot of tupperware to remove for a speaker.

Harry

They should be covered in my opinion. The speakers should have been chosen to handle anything you throw at them. They should be able to handle whatever max volume is.

If you're tearing down that far... I'd swap for some J&M or Polk speakers.

I'd certainly check with the dealer and see if warranty will cover the replacement.

MouthPiece
08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Not sure if the following answers your question, but it's in the general area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUqry0JTulc

Chris

rc51ny
08-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys for your responses. I'm not too worried about replacing the OEM's under warranty. I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers anyways.

Bob Denman
08-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Please keep us in the loop on the replacement and upgrade process... I need better speakers too!
AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Nugent, Iron Butterfly, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult... They need more horsepower behind them to really get your ears to bleeding! :roflblack: :thumbup:

rmillis
05-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhere:dontknow:Good Luck:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a silly question: but how do you pop them back on? Some how the right corner of the right hand side on my 2010 RT SM5 popped out. I removed it to recent loss and can’t get it back on. Any tips?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Speaker grills themselves, VERY EASY, as stated by others, just a small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Haven't replaced nor removed the speakers, but as stated, should be a video on here somewhere:dontknow:Good Luck:thumbup:

Perhaps a silly question: but how do you pop them back on? Some how the right corner of the right hand side on my 2010 RT SM5 popped out. I removed it to recent loss and can’t get it back on. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Popping them back on - I would put just a small DAB of liquid soap on the Tabs to assist …. after it dries it might actually help hold it on ….. I changed my speakers ( all four ) to JBL 2 ohm models ( fantastic sound & in-expensive too ) as I recall I got the front speakers out using a screw driver that had a spring extension ( it's much smaller than even a 1/4 " swivel ) that allowed it to bend a bit ….. got all four out with just removing the grills :2thumbs: …… Mike :ohyea:

rmillis
05-14-2019, 10:18 PM
Popping them back on - I would put just a small DAB of liquid soap on the Tabs to assist …. after it dries it might actually help hold it on ….. I changed my speakers ( all four ) to JBL 2 ohm models ( fantastic sound & in-expensive too ) as I recall I got the front speakers out using a screw driver that had a spring extension ( it's much smaller than even a 1/4 " swivel ) that allowed it to bend a bit ….. got all four out with just removing the grills.

I unintentionally left the RT warm up in the Okanagan sunshine while the grill was shaded in the trunk. I inserted the bottom first and then the top corner. Then using a small plastic trim remover tool popped in the last leftmost corner. It’s not right, but nor is the grill on the left. So far it’s stayed on at highway speeds.

What JBL models did you use? What’s the popular Polk speaker?

I seem to ONLY have front speakers.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2019, 12:36 AM
I unintentionally left the RT warm up in the Okanagan sunshine while the grill was shaded in the trunk. I inserted the bottom first and then the top corner. Then using a small plastic trim remover tool popped in the last leftmost corner. It’s not right, but nor is the grill on the left. So far it’s stayed on at highway speeds.

What JBL models did you use? What’s the popular Polk speaker?

I seem to ONLY have front speakers.

What year RT do you have ???? …. I thought all RT's that had the audio package had FOUR speakers 2 frt. + 2 rear ……. help me I'll help you ….. Mike :ohyea:

rmillis
05-15-2019, 10:14 PM
2010 sm5.