PDA

View Full Version : Wife is getting cold feet, need help from the ladies here

Lamonster
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
My wife and I have been together since we were 15, we got married when we were 21 and we're 48 now. I have always had motorcycles and at one time Chris use to like to ride with me. Well that all changed when we had kids and she's seen me come home broken up a time or two. She has a real fear or getting hurt or killed on a bike and at the time she wouldn't ride with me because she didn't want to take the chance of leaving three boys without a mother.

Two of the boys are now in the Marines and my youngest is 16 now so Chris has loosened up a bit. When I showed her the video of the Spyder much to my surprise she said she would ride that. I had one on order within the hour.

Now that it looks like it's getting close to game time I think she is getting cold feet. Can some of you gals give her some encouraging words? I would really like for her to ride with me, I think it would help bring us closer too.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/1oldhd_wife.jpg

dltang
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Chris,
Go for it!! These are the coolest things and they don't roll. You can have the freedom and excitement of the road and the safety net all at the same time. My husband and I both ordered one and we are so looking forward to riding together and touring together. It is such a great way for two people to enjoy a slice of life and be exciting and together all at the same time. It is an opportunity and you don't want to miss it!!
Deb T.

Dilbertian
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Lamont,

I think the biggest "obstacle" for my wife is that our State, Virginia, considers the Spyder a Motorcycle and she will need her "M" designation on her license to legally ride it. I talked to my salesman, "BIG", about this and he suggested that she take a more personalized version of the MSF course. The course is a privately funded MSF weekend course that has a much higher teacher:student ratio vs. the ones at your local community college campus. The price is a bit higher at $300 but not outrageous relative to the benefits. Once she completes the course, she only needs to go to the DMV to get her new license. The course includes the written test as well as the road course test.

You could take that a step further like a lady-friend of mine did at work who took an even more personalized 1-on-1 6-day course.

My wife hasn't booked her course yet but we have been really busy with home remodeling and travel. My advice to you, Lamont, is to encourage her, but not to push her. If my wife doesn't have her "M" when I take delivery, I plan to find a private parking lot somewhere and take her out and let her play around with it and see if its something she really wants to do or not. There's always Carver, T-Rex and the Goldwing Trikes. If this isn't it, then just keep trying to find something she might like. Too bad VW pulled their trike, that thing looked super bad! I think there is a proven market for this type of vehicle and others will follow.

-Tim

TBB
09-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Until we got our Goldwing 4 years ago, I hadn't spend any time on motorcycles. After we got the wing I decided to take the MSF course with the intention of getting my own bike. I enjoyed the course and got my motorcycle license but still haven't had the courage to go out and get my own bike and ride solo.

Then the Spyder came along! The first time I rode it I was a little nervous. I had never ridden a motorcycle solo on the open road and although this wasn't a motorcycle per se, I was still hesitant. The problem is all the guys I work with were there and if I backed out I'd never hear the end of it!! ;D ;D Besides, Jeff was there to follow me on the wing for moral support. So how could I go wrong?

Anyway I sucked it up, got on, they gave me a once over on the controls and off I went, a little jerky at first but after a couple laps of the parking lot, I said to heck with it and headed for the open road. After the first mile or 2 I realized my nervousness was unfounded. Just before we got on the expressway, Jeff pulled up beside me and told me to keep my speed up once we got on. I told him I was just going to hang out at 55-60 and take my time. (yea right, on this thing??!!) The next thing I knew, the car in front of me was going about 50, I put on my signal to pass and before I knew it, I was at 75mph!!! :bigthumbsup: Jeff got a kick out of that when we got home!

The Spyder is very easy to ride and without the balance issues of a motorcycle all you have to worry about is driving and being aware of your surroundings. It's very forgiving if you make a mistake while riding, much more so that a motorcycle. And most of the usual motorcycle hazards -- gravel, wet roads, tar snakes, etc -- are not an issue.

In fact I took the Spyder home again last Saturday night. We went to a friend's house and his wife went for a ride and I didn't think she was going to let me take it home!! :bigthumbsup: She wants one now too!

Everytime I ride it, I like it even more. Tell your wife not to worry, I'm confident that once she takes it for a spin she'll realize that her fears are unfounded. And you'll probably have a hard time getting her off the thing!

Have her take an MSF course so she has the basic fundamentals. The course is really alot of fun and should help inspire her confidence.

SpyderAnn
10-07-2007, 12:09 PM
My husband and I have been married for 29 years.I also mostly gave up riding when my 3 kids were small.I tried riding my own 2 wheeled motorcycle. I even got MSF certified.But I'm a small woman and one significant crash and several fall overs I gave it up.My children are mostly grown now and I again wanted my own bike. Riding behind is ok some of the time but can be a little boring. I've test ridden the Spyder 3 times. The first time I was a little intimidated but intrigued(spelling?). By my 3rd ride I was grinning ear to ear!!!I was considerably more confident and placed an order for my own yellow Spyder on July 21st. I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm already mapping out short trips.I think it is a great concept for those of us that are a little wary of the 2 wheels.

zzkenoman
10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Funny thing with my wife, she reminds me about how much fun we will have. I told her, she would be in charge of all of the trips on the spyder, which in her book was more exciting for us to get the spyder rather than just riding with my riding group with men only. Maybe your incentive should be letting her in charge of trips, where to go, trips to places to go "shopping" whether for motorcycle gear or places you can actually buy small items to finally fit in your trunk.

As a note, she wants me to look into finding out if we can pull a trailer..lol

Delmustator
10-30-2007, 09:46 AM
My wife has NEVER driven a motorcycle period.

I took her to the demo in Richmond VA and after 10 minutes of instruction and a couple laps around the closed course, she was off and running..

I think this picture says it all.. Look at that smile on her face!!!!

http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/FlashGallery/FG6/images/PICT0185a.JPG

Spyderman
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
My wife briefly rode a Honda Rebel for a few months back in the spring, so Saturday I took her out for a nice long ride so she would get used to the Spyder and be able to ride to the Bike Night here in Ft Myers. The only mistake I mad was to tell her that all eyes would be on her as she drove into the lot and of course it made her nervous and she stalled it. But after that she was fine and now she is having a blast. I really feel alot better having her ride the Spyder than a conventional motorcycle.

SpyderBee
11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Lamont,

We met you last year at HotGlue's I think. We have a Goldwing, a Valkyrie and a Volusia. Now I want a Spyder ;D

I am 48 also...have thought about what would happen to family members left behind if something should happen to me. However, by riding the Spyder, and riding with others, I feel that I will have a ''safety net'' of sorts.

Riding motorcycles is what has brought us closer together, too. It's so great just to hit the road and go!

Tell Chris to go for it! I think she will have the time of her life :bigthumbsup:

stonetablet
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
:joke:DONT WORRY HONEY GET A FULL FACE HELMET NO ONE WILL KNOW ITS YOU. MAKE SURE THE VISOR IS TENTED OR YOU HAVE SUNGLASSES ON. THEY ARENT LOOKIN AT YOU TILL THEY CHECK OUT THE TRYKE. IT WOULD BE LIKE STANDING ON THE CORNER IN A FULL COSTUME AND KNOW ONE KNOWS ITS YOU SO YOU CAN ACT CRAZY AND LOOSIN UP. ITS NOT LIKE YOU WILL FALL OVER ON YOUR SIDE WHILE EVERYONE IS WHATCHING!!

jomamma1
01-15-2008, 03:46 PM
My wife took a test ride this past Saturday at American Marine Sports in Sacramento. As soon as she got back, she put $1000 down to order one. Expected delivery in May 2008. On the way back home, all she could talk about was the Spyder.

Joe

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
My wife took a test ride this past Saturday at American Marine Sports in Sacramento. As soon as she got back, she put $1000 down to order one. Expected delivery in May 2008. On the way back home, all she could talk about was the Spyder.

Joe
;D :bigthumbsup: :congrats: :welcome:

jeuchler
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, the first mistake I made in our marriage was when I drove our Chevy pickup off an icy road 22 years ago.

I shoveled, pushed tree branches and a (handmade) afghan under the tires and rocked it, almost getting it out.

Then I said to my lovely bride, "I think it just needs a little more weight in the back--why don't you sit on the tailgate."

She did, and I was able to drive right back onto the road.

The second mistake I made in our marriage was last year, when I tried out a Spyder in a nearby state at a snowmobile show last spring. I came home and raved about it, of course, and said, "Honey you'd love it. It has a nice wide seat."

(In my brain I had said "comfortable" not "wide.")

When finally the Spyders came to our area, I brought her to the test ride, and as soon as she sat on it, agreed. We put the deposit down the next day.

Note: After I read Lamont's original post, my lovely bride asked me to relay all this to you!

tfjunkie
01-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Guess i got off easy.
Showed my better half a picture of the spyder and she just said.......buy it.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe not so easy, i sold my dresser so i could pay for this without having to make payments.
Oh well, she may get to ride it. ( i think she believes it hers).

Looks like i will be perusing the swap meets again. ::) ::) ::)