PDA

View Full Version : Front sprocket, AGAIN

wilfredopr
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Two months ago the front sprocket on my 2010 RS sm5 was replaced. At that time I installed my aerocharger. Guess what, it broke again . The dealer said that because the extra torque it broke and the warranty won't cover, the sad thing is I have not had the chance to let it rip, not even a burn out. I believe that the belt was to tight from the begining but they never thouch it when they replace it the first time. Probably my fault because I told them how to remove the rear tire with out touching the adjustment by unbolting the rear shock (Lamonster video). I just don't trust the "only" dealer anymore. I send for the new sprocket and will install it myself. Now, how do I adjust the belt tension without the special tool that brp use.

boborgera
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Two months ago the front sprocket on my 2010 RS sm5 was replaced. At that time I installed my aerocharger. Guess what, it broke again . The dealer said that because the extra torque it broke and the warranty won't cover, the sad thing is I have not had the chance to let it rip, not even a burn out. I believe that the belt was to tight from the begining but they never thouch it when they replace it the first time. Probably my fault because I told them how to remove the rear tire with out touching the adjustment by unbolting the rear shock (Lamonster video). I just don't trust the "only" dealer anymore. I send for the new sprocket and will install it myself. Now, how do I adjust the belt tension without the special tool that brp use.

Have you checked the shaft??

wilfredopr
08-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Have you checked the shaft??

Do you mean the front sprocket shaft? yes I did , the seal is ok and there is a little in and out play
that I believe is normal

Firefly
08-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Do you mean the front sprocket shaft? yes I did , the seal is ok and there is a little in and out play
that I believe is normal

What about the splines on the shaft? That is a big concern.

How did the sprocket fail? Spline wear ?

I'm not surprised they won't cover such wear under warranty. This is one case of a direct cause and effect.

You can get a Kricket II belt tension device for around $20 USA to get a good idea where your tension is set.

wilfredopr
08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
What about the splines on the shaft? That is a big concern.

How did the sprocket fail? Spline wear ?

I'm not surprised they won't cover such wear under warranty. This is one case of a direct cause and effect.

You can get a Kricket II belt tension device for around $20 USA to get a good idea where your tension is set.

Yes, the splines in the shaft are ok . Any idea where can I get the Kricket II? Thanks

oldgoat
08-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Amazon

NancysToy
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, the splines in the shaft are ok . Any idea where can I get the Kricket II? Thanks
NAPA dealers.

dabreitbach
08-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Do yourself a favor. When replacing the sprocket put red locktite on the splines only to take up any slack and wear. We did this to mine at cowtown when mine failed during spyderfest. My shaft was looked at and okayed to be replaced under best warrenty by brp tech Danny Davey. we used the loctite to get me by. I'm waiting to get my shaft replaced but they are on backorder. BUT after 7000 more miles(not gentle miles) it hasn't moved a bit. I marked bolt, washer and sprocket to see any movement. This was my third sprocket so it had wear.(lots of wear). I read about this somewhere:dontknow:. Use just on the splines and after the sprocket is on the back of the washer. Squirt some into the splines with the sprocket on. Be carefull to not get any on the bolt threads!. :lecturef_smilie: That needs blue loctite. Who new it would work but it has for me.

wilfredopr
08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Do yourself a favor. When replacing the sprocket put red locktite on the splines only to take up any slack and wear. We did this to mine at cowtown when mine failed during spyderfest. My shaft was looked at and okayed to be replaced under best warrenty by brp tech Danny Davey. we used the loctite to get me by. I'm waiting to get my shaft replaced but they are on backorder. BUT after 7000 more miles(not gentle miles) it hasn't moved a bit. I marked bolt, washer and sprocket to see any movement. This was my third sprocket so it had wear.(lots of wear). I read about this somewhere:dontknow:. Use just on the splines and after the sprocket is on the back of the washer. Squirt some into the splines with the sprocket on. Be carefull to not get any on the bolt threads!. :lecturef_smilie: That needs blue loctite. Who new it would work but it has for me.

Thanks for the info, I will try this, nothing to lose.

wilfredopr
08-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info, I will try this, nothing to lose.

I did also send for the belt tensioner

Firefly
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure I would do this unless you have already been approved for shaft replacement under warranty. I was on my 3rd sprocket at 56,000 miles and never did this. I considered using JB weld.. but that would have made the sprocket and shaft a permanent unit.

What I've found is once the shaft has wear and the splines on it are pretty sharp, the sprocket is going to be difficult to remove. I had to use a gear puller to get one off, which broke part of the sprocket. Adding red locktite will make it even more difficult.

Bob Denman
08-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Question: Does a case of an excessively tight belt tend fo manifest itself with damge to the front sprocket first? :shocked:

boborgera
08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Question: Does a case of an excessively tight belt tend fo manifest itself with damge to the front sprocket first? :shocked:

That's the general opinion.
When my sprocket went it took the shaft out also, And i might add without warning, I hit second gear and bang, At first i thought the clutch blew, No such luck.:mad:

DrewNJ
08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
So does running a loose belt tension help the front sprocket last longer? What is the downside of a looser belt tension?

Firefly
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
So does running a loose belt tension help the front sprocket last longer? What is the downside of a looser belt tension?

Running the new lower-spec belt tension helps the entire drive system not wear as much.. bearings, belt, splines, etc.

Having the sprocket bolt properly torqued to the new spec is also important.

The lower belt tension tends to cause a bit more 'belt slap' and thus you may feel some more vibrations... but they are pretty minimal.

Adding a device like the belt tensioner can help with those vibrations.