PDA

View Full Version : Checking if anyone is interested....

shelbydave
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
A group that my neighbor hangs out with (Porsches) does regular trips to the mountains to run the Tail of the Dragon... What they try to do is to either book a block of rooms in Fontanna Village, or rent a 5 bedroom cabin. They go up on Thursday, drive Friday, and Saturday, then go their separate ways on Sunday.
I was wondering if anybody in the southeast would be interested in a spyder gathering... If the interest is there, I'll get the information and figure approximately what the cost would be per person / couple.

When we went last year, we rented the entire estate of the Hawkesdene house (http://www.hawkesdene.com/), and with all that went, it ended up being about $300 per couple for the whole weekend. That was without using the staff.

So if anybody would be interested in a Thurs - Sunday outing like that, we can discuss. I was looking at the fall sometime - maybe after the height of Leaf Peeping season so it's not so crazy up there.

Moosemanj
08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I would be interested, based on the date and cost.

Schultzi
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
sounds like a great idea, let me know

shelbydave
08-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I would be interested, based on the date and cost.

Date is TBD, but I was looking for cooler fall weather before snow... The Porsche guys are up there the first weekend in November, which is actually a nice time... Not too much traffic, but foliage may be gone by then. The Deals Gap MC resort is also closed by then.

I don't care as much about the Dragon, as I do the Cherohola Skyway, and other roads like that...

paulbrinker
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I think Janet and I would be interested. The only snag for us is if she can get time off from school. Keep us in the loop.:thumbup:

shelbydave
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I think Janet and I would be interested. The only snag for us is if she can get time off from school. Keep us in the loop.:thumbup:

:thumbup: Will do!

This would be an example of one of the cabins.... http://www.flipkey.com/andrews-vacation-rentals/p415732/
They're all over the place up there...

spyderwoman
08-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Jimmy and I are going Labor Day Weekend. We are camping at the Ironhorse Motorcycle Resort. They also have cabins. They stay booked up but it is my favorite place to camp. We would love company!

2Gunns
08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Dave, I really like this idea..... like others mention, getting off from work may be our only issue, the longer notice the better. Please keep everyone posted on this.

shelbydave
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Dave, I really like this idea..... like others mention, getting off from work may be our only issue, the longer notice the better. Please keep everyone posted on this.

Yeah, I was concerned about the short notice too. I'm going to try for the 3 nights (Thurs - Sun), but maybe this year instead of finding a large place for all to meet, we just meet up as time permits, and each make our own arrangements. I can start a thread for a "Fall Mountain Ride" or something like that, throw out some dates, and some possible places to stay. Then we can start planning right away for next year. That's how the Porsche guys do it... Right after the event, a new thread goes up for the next year. They then make arrangements, and reservations as far in advance as possible, and everyone gets to look forward to something... :)

As for dates for this year I was looking at Thursday, Nov 1 to Sunday, Nov 4. Most of the leaf peeping traffic is gone by then, but the scenery could still be nice.

As for where... I was thinking somewhere around Andrews. That seems to be central to alot of good stuff.

We could even do it on a more basic level this year, There are Motels in the area that give Motorcycle and Sports car discounts, then based on interest, maybe ramp it up to a cabin rental for next year.

cjackg
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Franklin is another location to consider. It probably has a lot more facilities than Andrews and is still not far from the Dragon but is closer to several great rides including the Hwy 28 "MoonShiner" and Wayah Road as well as Highlands NC and Clayton Ga. There is a new event next week in Franklin that would be a good chance to check it out... Hope to see some Spyders there !

http://www.smokymountainrumble.com/

shelbydave
08-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Franklin is the town that has the service station with the REAL gas, isn't it?
I looked on the map, and that may work too. I'd like to get over to Bridal Veil Falls to check it out, and that would be fairly close.

If we wanted to do the Tail, and the Cherohala, then Robbinsville may be a good choice too.

cjackg
08-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Franklin is the town that has the service station with the REAL gas, isn't it?
I looked on the map, and that may work too. I'd like to get over to Bridal Veil Falls to check it out, and that would be fairly close.

Franklin, Murphy, Andrews, and Robbinsville all seem to have one or more stations with non-ethanol Gas. Here's the list:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC