PDA

View Full Version : Heat related tach & speedo problem

Dragonrider
08-06-2012, 11:04 AM
It's rarely really hot in the Great NorthWet - 75 to 85 is typical in the summer. Occasionally, we see hotter temps, especially on tour - heading East.

I've noted that when the OAT (outside air) is 90+ my analog tach degrades, dropping 1500+ RPM below my analog indication (the analog is not usable while riding, for me), and at 100+, the speedo and tach quit altogether. Park it & let it cool off, or let the OAT drop to 80 or less, and both come back. Plays heck when you ride a SE, and try to keep an eye on the tach…. any one else see this issue? Thoughts??

Firefly
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
It's rarely really hot in the Great NorthWet - 75 to 85 is typical in the summer. Occasionally, we see hotter temps, especially on tour - heading East.

I've noted that when the OAT (outside air) is 90+ my analog tach degrades, dropping 1500+ RPM below my analog indication (the analog is not usable while riding, for me), and at 100+, the speedo and tach quit altogether. Park it & let it cool off, or let the OAT drop to 80 or less, and both come back. Plays heck when you ride a SE, and try to keep an eye on the tach…. any one else see this issue? Thoughts??

Very well could be the plexiglass in front of the analog readouts getting warped by the hot sun and thus binding against the needles so they can't move. Seen this happen on HD's before.

I use the digital for Speed and rarely look at the RPM's ... you just go by 'feel' for the most part....

Wiredux
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Both speed and tach are on my digital display. I don't even look at my analogs when riding.

NancysToy
08-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I am on my fourth cluster due to this issue. See your dealer. If it is weather related and hard to duplicate, take a picture.

Dragonrider
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the comments.

It's not binding the gauges tho - the tach reads "0" at a stop sign, when this is happening. Has to be in the circuit somewhere, and common to both gauges.

NancysToy
08-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the comments.

It's not binding the gauges tho - the tach reads "0" at a stop sign, when this is happening. Has to be in the circuit somewhere, and common to both gauges.
Bad cluster. One of mine did both, and one did the tach, only...although it was good sometimes after a reboot or two, one was DOA. This one is dandy!