PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tending Idea

zbunker
08-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Just a thought for those who have an RT, and use battery tenders. Would it be easier using the 12 volt outlet in the rear trunk compartment instead of lifting the seat and connecting to the battery terminals?

ornerydog7
08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Just a thought for those who have an RT, and use battery tenders. Would it be easier using the 12 volt outlet in the rear trunk compartment instead of lifting the seat and connecting to the battery terminals?

I have been using the outlet in the trunk for about a year now without any issues. Much more convenient.

arris
08-06-2012, 11:04 AM

I have a 2009 :yes:spyder and the 12 volt outlet you are asking might be powered only when the key is turned on. That is the way mine is. Good luck in your search

Bob Denman
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
The 12 volt outlet in the trunk of the RTs stay hot... :2thumbs:

Firefly
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
The 12 volt outlet in the trunk of the RTs stay hot... :2thumbs:

:agree:

This is how I hook mine up to the Tender..... works great

Moosemanj
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
My dealer hooked mine up permanently and the wire sits under the seat, i lift the seat and plug in the wire and it works, no need to reconnect to the battery.

NancysToy
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
That's the way I have always done it. Very convenient! If your charger doesn't have the correct adapter, Powerlet sells one.

bo9roadking
08-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I connected a pigtail to the battery under the seat that works double duty. It primarily is used for connecting my battery tender, but it also is used as a power connection for my electric heating vest during winter riding.

spyderrock
08-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I connected a pigtail to the battery under the seat that works double duty. It primarily is used for connecting my battery tender, but it also is used as a power connection for my electric heating vest during winter riding.

this is how mine is done as well, had the dealer install a powerlet sae cable while they were replacing the battery (3rd one)I have a 2011 rt limited.

Ga Blue Knight
08-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Defineily under the seat is a better conductor with no resistance loss. If your battery tender is somewhat energetic you could spend a lot of energy heating wires.

NancysToy
08-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Defineily under the seat is a better conductor with no resistance loss. If your battery tender is somewhat energetic you could spend a lot of energy heating wires.
If the charger you choose has enough amperage to heat the wires, you have the wrong charger! nojoke

Motorcycle battery maintainers should be 1.5 amps or less, even with most AGM batteries. Any more will drive the lead out of the plates and make the battery sulfate and fail prematurely. The wiring for the trunk socket on an RT is rated for 10 amps. Any maintainer that operates within an acceptable amperage range will not heat or damage the outlet wiring.

MarkLawson
08-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Me too. I also have a selection of other adapters and extension cables that plug into mine to make it most versatile.

Motogordo
08-09-2012, 08:58 AM
August 9, 2012

I have my 750ma Battery Tender wire hooked directly to the battery under the seat. I also have another cable, with the same ends for my Garmin GPS.

Motogordo