PDA

View Full Version : RT TRAILER SECURITY

zbunker
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I have a question for those RT'ers who pull a trailer. We have a 2012 RT, and going to purchase a trailer. :yes:I guess like everything else, you don't realize how much stuff you have until you start packing it.:yikes:

Anyway, the question I have for those trailer pullers, Any suggestions on how to secure the the trailer after reaching a destination, (be it a motel or camp site) and want to tool around without pulling the tralier?

bullant12
08-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a question for those RT'ers who pull a trailer. We have a 2012 RT, and going to purchase a trailer. :yes:I guess like everything else, you don't realize how much stuff you have until you start packing it.:yikes:

Anyway, the question I have for those trailer pullers, Any suggestions on how to secure the the trailer after reaching a destination, (be it a motel or camp site) and want to tool around without pulling the tralier?

I usually carry 2 bicycle combination chains and I can either tie them to a stable area (light post) or just tie both together and then around both tires of the trailer.

pwilbarger
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM
All hitches have a method to "lock" the ball clamp to the ball. My RT-622 came with a pin with a spring device that goes thru a hole on the hitch once locked on the ball. I use a lock on the hole both on and off the ball. I have never had a problem at whatever motel I parked and left it at. It's nice to save your parking spot right near your room. I also carry plastic coated cable and padlock just incase I want to run that thru the wheels or thru one wheel and around a lamp post or tree. Although I haven't used that on the 622 to date.

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevedfive
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I use a tongue lock and a long cable lock with built-in alarm. The cable is long enough to go thru both wheels and shock. I carry a second cable to go around a fixed object if necessary. (hitchshops.com)

NancysToy
08-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Normally, I just leave the trailer attached to my Spyder. I use a Master trailer lock to lock the latch. If I am worried about curious people trying to open the lids, I put on the BRP trailer cover to slow them down. If I detach the trailer I use a cable lock through one or both wheel, and through the tongue stand if I can do it...locked around something fixed like a lamppost. I also use the Master lock to lock the hitch latch in the open position.

For my camper, I just lock the latch, and padlock the lid shut. Nobody ever bothers it in the campground.

zbunker
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I use a tongue lock and a long cable lock with built-in alarm. The cable is long enough to go thru both wheels and shock. I carry a second cable to go around a fixed object if necessary. (hitchshops.com)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I like the idea of the lock with the built-in alarm. I guess it is just like the old days when I had to lock up my Schwinn bicycle.

It just seems that the trailer is small enough for some 'dirty bird' to grab the whole shooten' match and toss it in the back of a pickup. I guess it is the left over NY paranoia coming out. Thanks again folks, Ron

ThreeFeet
08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Normally, I just leave the trailer attached to my Spyder. I use a Master trailer lock to lock the latch. If I am worried about curious people trying to open the lids, I put on the BRP trailer cover to slow them down. If I detach the trailer I use a cable lock through one or both wheel, and through the tongue stand if I can do it...locked around something fixed like a lamppost. I also use the Master lock to lock the hitch latch in the open position.

For my camper, I just lock the latch, and padlock the lid shut. Nobody ever bothers it in the campground.I use a padlock on the trailer hitch but only in the closed position. That way they can't just put it on a hitch and take off. Also have padlock on when it's hitched to the bike.

pickelhead
08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
I use a kryptonite disk lock and cable. Haven't had a problem so far.

zbunker
08-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I use a kryptonite disk lock and cable. Haven't had a problem so far.

Thanks

RULE # 32

NEVER GIVE A THIEF "TIME"