PDA

View Full Version : Front end clearance?

Netminder
08-05-2012, 12:09 AM
As everyone knows the Spyders sit pretty low in the front end. I have been looking at alot of pictures lately and some defenitely look higher then others. I noticed Lamonts and Fred Rau's Spyder seem to sit higher. Is this just the camera angle or is this because they have Elka shocks intalled. If this is the case I am wondering how much of a height gain can you get with them? I know these shocks would improve the ride, but if it added a couple of inches to the front end, that would be all the more reason to install them. Maybe Lamont could comment, any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GloryRyders
08-05-2012, 05:36 AM
When I added the Elka's on my RT the front became 1" to 1 1/2" higher! :2thumbs:

Scott&Marla
08-05-2012, 07:35 AM
:agree: did the same for our RT. I also think that the amount of height you gain depends on how much preload the shocks are set for.

Spyderjockey
08-05-2012, 07:58 AM
I had Elkas installed at the Cuba event this year front and rear and it dramatically raised the height of the Spyder especially in the rear. I also had a Michelin Hydroedge tire installed in the rear earlier this year. This tire is taller than the OEM and it would rub on the liner above the tire once in a while when hitting a bump or divit in the road. Now there is no way it can rub.......I don't know how much it raised the Spyder in inches but it is considerable and the ride is great after some fine tuning!!:clap::yes:

MrBones
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Read this post and went and measured mine and at the front (lowest spot I guess) I have 7". Also the axels are the same. Is this the norm?? Just bought it and have added nothing. Jack.

Netminder
08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Read this post and went and measured mine and at the front (lowest spot I guess) I have 7". Also the axels are the same. Is this the norm?? Just bought it and have added nothing. Jack.

That sounds about right, but I will have to take the tape to it to say for sure.

Cuban Spyder
08-07-2012, 05:36 AM
We had Elkas installed and it adds about 1 1/2" in center clearance. If you look at the front of an RT from the front that has the original shocks, you will see that the "A arms" are slightly higher at the wheels than the center of the Spyder. The Elkas raise the center of the :spyder2:. Result, more center clearance. Of course, the reason to add Elkas is the improved handling.