PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Analysis of RT Heat Problem ....... almost

DR Buck
08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, it's not a full engineering analysis, but I took some temperature reading on my RT limited with a thermal IR reader and got some surprising results. Left side was not done as I just finished wrapping my exhaust pipes with lava wrap and had the tupperware back on.

I had the tupperware removed from the right side of the bike and the engine was cold as it had not been run in the past 3 days. Static temps were all ~94º. I started the bike and began taking readings to see if I could figure out if the Spyderpops blocking plates were pushing the heat in that was making the right side tupperware hot coming up around the seat. Well surprise! Long before the radiator fan kicked on the temperature of the black plastic under the glove box began to rise. Within 1 minute it was up to 130º. In 3 minutes the metal frame (above the plastic) that runs under the glove box and back under the seat was up to 135º.

The radiator fan kicked in after about 3 minutes and ran for less than a minute and shut down. It cycled like that for the remainder of the time I had the bike running.

After about 4 minutes run time the metal frame under the glove box (same one as above) was at 154º :yikes: The black plastic was at 132º.

I started taking reading on the exhaust header and engine. The engine was at 155º. The horizontal portion of the rear header pipe was up to 550º. The vertical portion after the 90º bend was at 300º and the heat was rising directly up under the center of the bike. At this point the (almost empty) gas tank was at 130º.

My conclusion from all of this is 1) Spyderpops blocking plates are not the cause of any heat problems. 2) Temperatures would have been higher if the tupperware was on. 3) Almost all of the heat up under the tupperware and the rider seat area is from the exhaust headers.

Next step is to figure out a way to get that heat out of there. Once I figure out how to get wrap on the right side pipe that will help. When I remove the CAT converter this winter I'm going to also try and find some way to vent that hot air out of there.

AbNormy
08-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Glad you posted this, I got the spyderpops shields and block off plates and highway pegs but Harvey took extra care to drill the plastic wall underneath liberally and me thinks it helps. I've only got one real foot my right one so I think I'll take extra care of it!

NancysToy
08-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure this is really indicative of what happens when moving, with the bodywork in place. The air flow changes things, and the air flow changes at different road speeds. I'd like to see a similar test with the bodywork in place and a fan running to simulate low speed movement. Keep up the good work.

DR Buck
08-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure this is really indicative of what happens when moving, with the bodywork in place. The air flow changes things, and the air flow changes at different road speeds. I'd like to see a similar test with the bodywork in place and a fan running to simulate low speed movement. Keep up the good work.

You are correct. However, most of the worst heat I experience is when moving slowly or stopped in traffic. This is when there is no air flow and my test was representative of this. One of the main goals I had was to figure out what the source of the most heat was. Is it the radiator heat being pushed inside because of Spyderpops blocking plates or engine/header heat? As it appears from my measurements its mostly header & exhaust system generated heat.

The most significant conclusion I am able to draw is that there are two sources of heat to contend with. The radiator heat and the exhaust system heat. As I stated in a different post These are two different issues with two different causes. Exhaust wrapping will reduce the heat that comes up under and around the seat and makes the sides hot. The right hot foot is NOT related to exhaust. It is caused by radiator heat being blown by the fan onto your foot.

Still lots more to consider, but I don't expect to make much more progress until this winter as I want to get some more riding in even if I have to contend with the heat.

Bob Denman
08-08-2012, 06:59 AM
This is very interesting... :clap: Thanks for taking the time to start actually getting us all some numbers.
Let's face it; melted boots are annoying, but hardly empirical...

BajaRon
08-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Simple, though not inexpensive, solution.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/spacestore_2001_24666996

daveinva
08-08-2012, 09:02 AM
I know the RS geometry is different, but I found the Spyderpops gear takes care of the radiator heat just fine through redirecting it away from my foot.

It's the REST of the bike that's suffering from the header/exhaust heat. All that heat that comes up through the panels under my butt and against my thighs. I've added extra heat tape underneath the panels, it helps a *little* (might just be a placebo, though).

That said, I know that my next Spyder, RS, RT, or whatever, will get wrapped exhausts (actually, more likely ceramic-coated exhausts) before I ever ride it. Just take care of the heat at the source from Day 1.