PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Rumble

Trashwood
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
It is now official, according to The Franklin Press, that the Smoky Mountain Rumble will take place in Franklin NC on Aug 17-19. There has been some uncertainty if the rally would take place, but it is now safe to post this event. Sorry about the delay. For more information, go to http://www.SmokyMountainRumble.com. This is the first year for the rumble, so I guess it took sometime for the organizers to get their ducks or should I say motorcycles in a row. The newspaper article said that the organizers are expecting 4000 riders. I don't know where they are going to put them all, because Franklin is a small town. I know because I live here.

ulflyer
08-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I guess some folks could stay in Maggie Valley which has tons of motels......isn't that pretty close to Franklin?

cjackg
08-04-2012, 08:20 PM
It is now official, according to The Franklin Press, that the Smoky Mountain Rumble will take place in Franklin NC on Aug 17-19. There has been some uncertainty if the rally would take place, but it is now safe to post this event. Sorry about the delay. For more information, go to http://www.SmokyMountainRumble.com. This is the first year for the rumble, so I guess it took sometime for the organizers to get their ducks or should I say motorcycles in a row. The newspaper article said that the organizers are expecting 4000 riders. I don't know where they are going to put them all, because Franklin is a small town. I know because I live here.
Looks like an interesting event in a good location to get some Spyders together. It is fairly convenient to a lot of key area locations.
Here's the mileage for some of them, from Franklin:
Asheville NC 65mi
Gatlinburg TN 62mi
Murphy NC 47mi
Maggie Valley NC 43mi
Knoxville TN 96mi
Atlanta GA 128mi
Deals Gap / Dragon 52mi

Lots of great riding in the area too, and the heat should'nt be as bad in the mountains.

gcain747
08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Just a few miles out of Franklin there is a beautiful place to stay. It is called Sleepy Hollow Mountain Cabins. They have 8 cabins that range from a 1 bedroom Honeymoon cabin to a 4 bedroom. They have 7 acers, a stream that runs through the property. I have stayed there several times and always had a great time. www.sleepyhollowmountaincabins.com (http://www.sleepyhollowmountaincabins.com) The cabins have full kitchens, cookware, BBQ pits, everything you need for a great stay.

Greg Cain
SRA - Birmingham AL

dave01
08-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I really need to retire. A rumble in my back yard and I am going to miss it.

LLSailor
08-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I really need to retire. A rumble in my back yard and I am going to miss it.

If I could get 25 people to contract to pay me $100/month not to go back to work, I'd take it and retire, again.

pickelhead
08-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Let's see, Franklin has a population of about 5,000. They are expecting 4,000 bikers. I think I will go to Lake Chatuge for the weekend. :thumbup:

cjackg
08-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Let's see, Franklin has a population of about 5,000. They are expecting 4,000 bikers. I think I will go to Lake Chatuge for the weekend. :thumbup:

Since you live there, how about giving us some pointers on best places to go in Franklin, restaurants, gathering places etc for those that show up in all this confusion...

pickelhead
08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Since you live there, how about giving us some pointers on best places to go in Franklin, restaurants, gathering places etc for those that show up in all this confusion...

Franklin has a couple of Mexican restaurants, all the usual fast food restaurants, for home cooked try Stamy's on US 441 Business. There are quite a few mom and pop hotels, A knights Inn, a Comfort Inn, a Hampton Inn, and a few other chain hotels. I'll get you the name and address for the best Mexican. You cannot eat all the food they give you. Good good, most entrees are under $12. They have a large selection of Mexican and American beer as well as over 20 different kinds of Tequila.

dave01
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
City restaurant is good for breakfast, Monte Alban for mexican at 2722 Georgia road, Fat Buddies for BBQ in Kmart plaza and there is always Cafe Rel off Main street at the Hot Spot.

SpydrMtn
08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Picklehead, getting out of town sounds like a good idea, but I'll have family visiting so I'll just stay at the house and try to avoid the craziness.

cjackg
08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Picklehead, getting out of town sounds like a good idea, but I'll have family visiting so I'll just stay at the house and try to avoid the craziness.
so, can you give us your address, for emergency backup if we get in trouble in Franklin, or need a refuge ?

pickelhead
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I'll be at lake Chatuge over in Hayesville at my mother-in-laws. My brother-in-law is coming up from Florida, so it'll be like a mini family reunion.

pickelhead
08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
so, can you give us your address, for emergency backup if we get in trouble in Franklin, or need a refuge ?

I won't be there, but my dogs will be. I'll be at in laws on Lake Chatuge.

pickelhead
08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
It Begins! You can here the rumbles of motorcycles in Franklin like a gathering storm.

Diamond R
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
There was no way Patti and I could have made it this year, but we are looking forward to next year.

enjoy the ride
Allen & Patti

pickelhead
08-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Well It wasn't so much as a rumble as a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz fest. I meet and get a chance to meet Big Bird and SPYD3R both from SC. They were thoroughly impressed with all the LEO's there for their safety and well being. Hopefully they did not hold it against Western NC. ;)