PDA

View Full Version : Best driving lights for the 2012 RT Limited

pickelhead
08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm looking to put driving lights on my 2012 RT. What is the consensus for the best and where to mount. Also should I put it on a separate fuse block or will it be okay to just wire it into the RT's fuse box. Thanks in advance

NancysToy
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd just see one of the site sponsors for some HID headlight replacements, if it were me. nojoke

Madincalif
08-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I have HID's and then I put the Long Distance High Power LED's from Tricled.com on my front fender mounts with a secondary fuse box to run them. Let me tell you people can really see me coming either day or night. They are extremely bright.

ARtraveler
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
:agree: x 2

pickelhead
08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I've already got the HID headlights, was looking for some driving lights to mount lower down.

Madincalif
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I've already got the HID headlights, was looking for some driving lights to mount lower down.
The Long Distance High Power LED's from Tricled.com just might fit the bill

NancysToy
08-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd consider these. http://www.motolight.com/product/67504SPY

Questions
08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
This is a contentious topic. How many of you have driven at night in a car and have been blinded by an oncoming car or SUV or Pickup with super white or ultra blue bulbs? Kind of pissed you off you did it not? Now consider that motorcycle headlights are on average twelve inches higher than those of an average car. You are now in the same car headed towards a bike with those same type of lights lights. Imagine the effect! When mounting aux lights on a any type of Motorcycle whether they are HID or HALO, mount the lights low and aim them with others in mind.
Just think of this. When a cager sees a biker on a sure to kill sport bike popping a wheelie, what does that cager see when every other biker shows up? They still see the biker on the sport bike popping the wheelie! First impressions matter the most!
HID or ultra Halo bulbs are good for the rider to a point but keep in mind that there are others on the by-ways also!
Ride with respect. Ride with consideration. Ride today so you can ride another day!
My two cents!

Questions
08-02-2012, 11:26 PM
This is a contentious topic. How many of you have driven at night in a car and have been blinded by an oncoming car or SUV or Pickup with super white or ultra blue bulbs? Kind of pissed you off you did it not? Now consider that motorcycle headlights are on average twelve inches higher than those of an average car. You are now in the same car headed towards a bike with those same type of lights. Imagine the effect! When mounting aux lights on a any type of Motorcycle whether they are HID or HALO, mount the lights low and aim them with others in mind.
Just think of this. When a cager sees a biker on a sure to kill sport bike popping a wheelie, what does that cager see when every other biker shows up? They still see the biker on the sport bike popping the wheelie! First impressions matter the most!
HID or ultra Halo bulbs are good for the rider to a point but keep in mind that there are others on the by-ways also!
Ride with respect. Ride with consideration. Ride today so you can ride another day!
My two cents!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
This is a contentious topic. How many of you have driven at night in a car and have been blinded by an oncoming car or SUV or Pickup with super white or ultra blue bulbs? Kind of pissed you off you did it not? Now consider that motorcycle headlights are on average twelve inches higher than those of an average car. You are now in the same car headed towards a bike with those same type of lights. Imagine the effect! When mounting aux lights on a any type of Motorcycle whether they are HID or HALO, mount the lights low and aim them with others in mind.
My two cents!

SEEMS LIKE IT'S AT LEAST FOUR CENTS............................................: gaah::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:..Mike

effgjamis
08-03-2012, 01:42 AM
I'd consider these. http://www.motolight.com/product/67504SPY

I think they are kinda pricey.... JMHO

effgjamis
08-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Cager's drive with their high beams on and you flash them it does no good. Especially the ones which are blue.... of course there are others.
I think a good mount and adjustment for the lights on the bike are very important if not very necessary.

I am thinking about mounting one very bright lite with a switch on the bar that I can turn off and on at will. I won't ride with it on but just for those who (cagers) don't believe in dimming their lights.

NancysToy
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
I think they are kinda pricey.... JMHO
Yes, they are...but he asked for the "best".

Bob Denman
08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
"Spydie",
You are quite correct; throwing too much light out into traffic just ticks off everybody who gets their retinas blitzed... :shocked:
Now I'm as night-blind as can be; I REALLY appreciate all of the lumens that I can throw downrange, but I'm not alone out there....
Blinding other people just doesn't help... :gaah:
Set your lights up so that oncoming traffic isn't paying for them! :thumbup:

pickelhead
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I really appreciate all the responses I've received so far. I too am very night blind and need all the light I can get. I drive allot of the back roads here in NC. There's not much traffic at night so blinding oncoming traffic is rare. The back roads do have allot of twisties though, so with allot of forward light in there lane that will show beyond the curve lets any oncoming traffic to stay in there lane on the curve.

retired1
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM
If I remember correctly, someone on here posted about some lights that were mounted so they would turn with the handlebars. I was thinking that this might come in handy on the twisties when watching for wildlife.

Bob Denman
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
You'd have to mount them on the fender bracketry?? :dontknow: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I too am very night blind and need all the light I can get..

Sometimes I wish that I could mount a bank of about a dozen 20 million candlepower spotlights. :shocked: But then I'd probably want even MORE! ;)

larryd
08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
The Long Distance High Power LED's from Tricled.com just might fit the bill

I have these on my 08 GS...They mount on the fender mounting round braces and turn with the wheels...Mine have a dimmer switch to dim and brighten them...And YES I like em...

Arr MiHardies
08-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I have these on my 08 GS...They mount on the fender mounting round braces and turn with the wheels...Mine have a dimmer switch to dim and brighten them...And YES I like em...

Me too. And you can go wrong with TricLED

harrypottar
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I like the idea that you can buy the tricled with a dimmer and adjust for different locations. One other thought could you wire them into high beams switch

harry

sinkhole
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, they are...but he asked for the "best".

Here's my pick for "Best"... now all I have to do is hit the lottery. :ohyea:

http://www.pashnit.com/product/clearwater/fitment.html

larryd
08-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I like the idea that you can buy the tricled with a dimmer and adjust for different locations. One other thought could you wire them into high beams switch

harry

Wire the driving lights up using a standard bosch relay and trigger the relay with the hi beam wire going to the hi beam shutter control on the GS model...I'm not sure how the hi beams work on the RT's but I'm sure it can be done...

I have mine wired up so they work on hi or low beam...(I know its not leagal in PA but thats how I want them)

pickelhead
08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Wire the driving lights up using a standard bosch relay and trigger the relay with the hi beam wire going to the hi beam shutter control on the GS model...I'm not sure how the hi beams work on the RT's but I'm sure it can be done...

I have mine wired up so they work on hi or low beam...(I know its not leagal in PA but thats how I want them)

Which wire did you ti into, the marker lights?

rogerb
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I have the Clearwaters on my 2010 RT. The small set is plenty the larger ones are too bright. The Clearwaters come with a potentiometer switch. They are wired in with your high beams. They come on fully bright on high beam and less brightness on low beam. I keep my setting at 1/4 or less turn and they are plenty bright but not enough to bother on-coming traffic. I have no regrets for installing them. When I left Spyderfest both of my headlights went out and I rode at night with just my Clearwaters. I sure was glad I had them on the :spyder2:.

larryd
08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Which wire did you ti into, the marker lights?

I mounted a bosch relay and I trigger it with the front power/lighter plug wire behind the trunk..The relay gets its 12 V. power from the battery and the relay is activated with the lighter plug wire...then the load wire goes to the dimmer/off/on switch...then the wire from the on/off switch goes out to the driving lights...

I suppose you could trigger the relay with the parking light wire...That way the driving lights will also work with both hi & low beam headlights...

napper39
08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
heres mine wallmart 45.bucks and they work grate i use them in the day so i can be seen moore.will they work just fine.so none of this:roflblack::yikes::lecturef_smilie:

pickelhead
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I think I have found my driving lights, just have to see if they will fit. They are made by rigid industries they use 6 led's and put out 1920 lumens per side. They put light out to 400 meters. Or I may get the smaller ones with just 3 led's per side. The 3 led's dray .63 amp each and put out 1050 lumens. The 6 led lights draw 1.3 amps and put out 1970 lumens. I think these will be bright enough.