PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes

bmwlarry
08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Has anyone changed the rear pads themselves? My bike has about 4500 miles and I realized yesterday that the rear pads are down to 15%, YIKES! The dealer has new pads ordered and will install but I usually do this type of thing by myself. My fear is that because the front pads are like new and the rear are at 15%, there must be something wrong with the way the integral braking is performing. My experience tells me that it is just about always that the fronts go far sooner than the rears! I have always felt that I needed to use too much pressure to brake but coming from a BMW LT with power assist braking i felt that was probably the difference.

Your views??

NancysToy
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I replaced my rear pads at 14K. They were a bit beyond spec. My fronts were only half worn. I was disappointed and a bit concerned that they wore so much faster than the fronts, but I your situation is far worse. 4,500 miles is very little life for the rears with no front pad wear. You would expect to wear out tires before your brake pads...even with the thin Spyder pads. I would suspect you may have a VSS issue of some sort, but that is just a guess. The front does more braking, but with the two vs. one situation on a Spyder, the brake wear may be uneven front to back. :dontknow: If your dealer sheds any light on this, let us know.

Gordy
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I also have to change rear pads and there is very little wear on front pads.I have 40,000 klms on rt.The hand brake cable was not returning fully and I think it was holding some pressure on the rear pads making them wear faster.I do very little in town riding so am not hard on brakes

mnefred
08-03-2012, 06:14 AM
My rear pads died about the same time as my back tire, right around 12k miles. I had taken both the pads and tire past limits, so probably more like 10k would have been better. Changing them isn't hard, but I think Scotty's right. Yours sound like they've gone too soon.

Bob Denman
08-03-2012, 07:17 AM
6000 miles and my rears were shot... :gaah:
The GOOD news: They're easy to change! ;)

BajaRon
08-03-2012, 08:57 AM
If your parking brake is adjusted too tight or if it is not releasing all the way your rear pads will wear more quickly. But even if everything is correct you will tend to go through 2 rear pads for every set of front pads.

This is counter intuitive but seems to be the norm.

You should have no problems changing these yourself.

ulflyer
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Do any of our sponsers sell good pads? I've got 16500K but haven't inspected them lately. Prob best get a set and do it.

BajaRon
08-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Do any of our sponsers sell good pads? I've got 16500K but haven't inspected them lately. Prob best get a set and do it.

I carry the EBC Semi-Sintered pads and their High Carbon rotors. You do not need to change to the EBC rotors to use their pads.

These are not the organic pads EBC sells. I do not carry their organic pads because I do not think they work well enough. Any organic pad will solve squeeking problems but they do not stop as well as semi-metallic pads (which tend to make noise).

The EBC Semi-Sintered pads give you the best of both worlds. No noise with the breaking performance of semi-metallic pads.

You can click on my banner ad here or on the Home Page of Spyderlovers to see priceing of all my Spyder specific products (except that I don't have the Custom Performance Sway-Bar listed there yet).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/bajaron.jpg (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets)

AbNormy
08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Ive a 2012 RT A&C with not quite 8 k on it, went to put the missing belt shield on it and while I had it up in the air noticed my rear pads are super thin. I'd been getting a light squeak I assumed was dirt in the back brakes but after looking at them, I'm gonna see what my warrant covers because 8 k seems awful quick for back brakes. Half of these miles are hi way mi so I expected better.

Also noticed the seat hinge on the back of my seat is busted!

:yikes::banghead::mad: Anyone else break their seats yet? I'm only 165lbs so it's not my fat ass!
next jobs to install my anti sway bars arrived today. Maybe tonight after it cools down. How much work is removing the Frunk?:gaah:

NancysToy
08-04-2012, 07:07 PM
The Spyder brake pads are quite thin to begin with, so you can't really just eyeball them. Minimum thickness is 1 mm (0.040"), or less than the thickness of about three business cards, if that helps.

AbNormy
08-04-2012, 07:25 PM
So then the noise I hear might not just be pads clearance? Turning the wheel I almost hear noise from the rear axle, hoping there's nothing else amiss there. Will removing them to inspect them void my warranty? Thanks
:shocked:

pwilbarger
08-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Picked my '10 RT-S from Honda East after service and oil change. I have 10.6k and the rear pads are 3/4 used up and the fronts are half gone according to the tech.

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NancysToy
08-04-2012, 10:07 PM
So then the noise I hear might not just be pads clearance? Turning the wheel I almost hear noise from the rear axle, hoping there's nothing else amiss there. Will removing them to inspect them void my warranty? Thanks
:shocked:
Not being able to hear the noise, it is hard to say. All brake pads rub, and make a little sound...more when they are dirty, humid, or the direction is reversed. Could also be the rear wheel or sprocket bearings. It should be looked into carefully. Inspecting the brakes will not affect the warranty...but the pads are wear items and not warranted.

bmwlarry
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
A follow up:

Even though the tech saw my rear pads remaining thickness and ordered new ones, apparently when he received the new rear pads and removed the old ones, they were the same. My original pads, by measurement, had 99% of the pad material still in place. His response was that there must be a lot of metallic in the pads to have them originally so thin yet still last a long time! End rsult was he put the original pads back in.

NancysToy
08-16-2012, 03:56 PM
A follow up:

Even though the tech saw my rear pads remaining thickness and ordered new ones, apparently when he received the new rear pads and removed the old ones, they were the same. My original pads, by measurement, had 99% of the pad material still in place. His response was that there must be a lot of metallic in the pads to have them originally so thin yet still last a long time! End rsult was he put the original pads back in.
Yes, the Spyder brake pads are far thinner than automotive, or even most motorcycle pads. There is a minimum thickness spec in the shop manual. The best techs measure, they don't just eyeball. Nevertheless, your tech was honest, and he learned a lesson. That's not a bad combination.

johnwinslow
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I do most of my own work, but when it looks like it will be covered under warranty, i take it to the shop. while changing the rear tire(11,500) worn in the center. i had to remove the brake assy. so i measured the rear brake pads they were OK according to specs, but they looked thin to me, so i ordered a new set of EBC pads from my dealer. they came in and i measured them, needless to say they are still in the wrapper, and i think i will wait for the next oil chg or they start squealing, to replace them. as said before, they should be measured not just looked at.

(Yes, the Spyder brake pads are far thinner than automotive, or even most motorcycle pads. There is a minimum thickness spec in the shop manual. The best techs measure, they don't just eyeball. Nevertheless, your tech was honest, and he learned a lesson. That's not a bad combination) just quoting the Professor

spyrog
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Just got a call from the dealer where I dropped the RTS for service. They say the rear brake needs replaced. I checked here and called them back to see if they messured or eyeballed because I only have 7000 miles on it most of which is highway miles. Waiting for there response. If it does need replaced that will mean I have spent $1009.00 in 7000 miles for maintainance on the Spyder. That makes it the most expensive bike Out of the 23 I have owned.At $100 an hour for labor, as soon as my warrantee expires, BajaRon here I come.

spyrog
08-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Dealer said the pressure was off so they bled the brakes and installed new pads ($51.99) but no charge for labor.