PDA

View Full Version : 12,000 mile tune-up... Expensive!

Gene
08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Recently I took my 2011 RT in for a 12K tune-up. I spent approximately $173.00 in parts and $600.00 in labor and that was with a small discount on the parts. Outrages if you ask me! Dealer said it was because of all the time it takes to remove all the panels and reinstall them.

A friend of mine was quoted $900.00 to a $1000.00 for the same tune-up. Tell me is it the dealer or is this about right?:yikes:

MidLifeCrisis
08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
With how absolutely time consuming it is to take these things apart, I would say it's reasonable. My best description for the Spyder with tupperwear removed is a car blasted by a shrink ray! Way too much going on to have anything resembling easy access.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ARtraveler
08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
It sounds like you had the valve clearance adjusted/inspected.

That adds about $600.00 to the bill on the 12,000 mile service.

Most of us are waiting until 36,000 or later since most that have had it done required no adjustment.

I did it once on my 2008 but have not done it on either of the other spyders. I am coming up on 27K on the 2010 and am thinking I am going to wait until at least 36K.

Did you see your spyder apart in a thousand little pieces? The valve adjustment is a chance to make a big "add on" and not do the work because it is mostly unnecessary. This would be done by an unscroupulous dealer of course. Just a FYI on this.

Pappy John
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I wonder what they'd say if you took off all the skins yourself before you rode it in.:roflblack: It'd look like a real sci-fi machine.

Tierhog
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I can remove the skins in 30min. That price is still high.

ClayL
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Recently I took my 2011 RT in for a 12K tune-up. I spent approximately $173.00 in parts and $600.00 in labor and that was with a small discount on the parts. Outrages if you ask me! Dealer said it was because of all the time it takes to remove all the panels and reinstall them.

A friend of mine was quoted $900.00 to a $1000.00 for the same tune-up. Tell me is it the dealer or is this about right?:yikes:

I guess I am cheap........$1000 tune up on a vehicle with only 12K miles seems outrageous to me........

Clay

Ron2andia
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
:agree:Seems crazy to me as well! Maybe we are both cheap!

Tierhog
08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Start your 12k at 10k. Your pace. It's not your primary transportation. Read these DIY. Ask us. Excellent videos are available. If you get stuck...don't guess. Post it as HELP.

Something like oil or coolant isn't complex. You can handle it.

Firefly
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I wonder what they'd say if you took off all the skins yourself before you rode it in.:roflblack: It'd look like a real sci-fi machine.

That is how I would take my 2008 GS in to the dealer.... naked as it could be.... and YES--- I rode it that way. Even rode it for awhile without the trunk on....

----------------

It can take quite awhile to take all the panels off---- especially on an RT ....

TuckMiddle
08-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Sounds about average in the Atlanta area.

The really good news is your next oil change is due in 4600 miles and "inspection" is at the next 9300. Rear seals and valve check every 14,000 (valves are extended by many.) I bought a 3 year maintenance program with 6 oil changes and 6 scheduled inspections, plus prepaid tire mounting and installation, 2 batteries and several other things I can't remember. I'm an old guy with arthritis and 3 back operations and just plain can't do a lot of that stuff myself any more. I'll do oil changes after 30,000 - even bought a new stool on wheels and the yellow Harbor Freight bike jack (have 4 jackstands already) - no bending very much for me, but laying on the floor some and using the stool both work ok!

Goldwings' and Harleys' 8 or 10,000 mile checks run at least as much as you paid at the dealer. Good independant shops offer a (varying) lower rate. Spyder shop here is $109 per hour. That's about 2.5 cents per heartbeat, sounds less expensive that way.

Happy riding:yes:

Tuck

harrypottar
08-02-2012, 06:58 AM
This sounds on par with what I used to pay for a 12k service on the Goldwing. when you get to this level of bike with this much tupperware it's going to cost. We use to call it Golwing tax, now I suppose it's Spyder tax.

If you want to feel like you got a bargain, call a BMW dealer, tell them you have a k1600GTL and needs a service. You will thank you lucky stars you have a Spyder:roflblack:.

All comes down to total coast of ownership, I put way more miles on my Bikes than I do my cars. I enjoy ridding and it costs to ride. If you have the skill and know how to do your own service then you can save lots of money. I know how to put gas in and that's about it.

Harry

Ivorspyder
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
That's a lot of money. I am going for my 600 mile tomorrow.Hope it's reasonable.:yikes:

Tierhog
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
You could do it yourself....probably cost between 250-300$? Depend on labor costs etc. Here is the check off sheet50636

boborgera
08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
That's a lot of money. I am going for my 600 mile tomorrow.Hope it's reasonable.:yikes:

Just curious doesn't anyone ask the dealer what the cost will be beforehand, I never had any of my customers ''not'' ask first. :dontknow:

boborgera
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
You could do it yourself....probably cost between 250-300$? Depend on labor costs etc. Here is the check off sheet50636

I couldn't see all the fine print on that list Was BUD's checked off':dontknow:

Tierhog
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Every checkup has a buds hookup. I have the updates and that's it. Aside from that mine (2008) hasn't been hooked up in awhile.

chickridin
08-03-2012, 07:49 AM

I'm finding that dealers are all over the place with their prices. I've been quoted any where from $600 - $900. It's crazy! :banghead: I was told the same thing....it's because it takes so long to take apart and put back together.

Spyder4Tess
06-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I called one of the local dealers for a price,glad I was sitting down........$1100 +parts!

TuckMiddle
06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
1st of all, due to the politics of SMOG, etc, I think CA is the only state not eligable to do the 9,300 mile version of the original 6,000 mile check - there are differences though. Here in GA, the Atlanta area dealers are over $100/hour. If you chose to use the dealer, it's pretty much an all day thing if the mx folks do everything on the checklist for 9,300. If you ask for certain items, that's what they will do, but you are expected to keep records on what ever you do yourself. If you're old and cranky like I am, you get the mx agreement when you buy the bike and they will do everything and charge for the event, there are 6 service events per the 3 year agreement and 6 oil changes, plus a couple batrteries, free tire mounting, etc. A good deal, if you are getting everything done on the mx schedules fron BRP. Not a good deal if you're going to do some things yourself and expect a by the hour charge, rather than by the event. My policy has saved a bunch, because I want everthing done and nothing left to chance or just not doing them.
Enjoy the ride and ask beforehand for a quote for what you want, the whole enchalota or just the things you don't want to do yourself.
See y'all at Maggie Valley.

Tuck:cheers:

Firefly
06-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Not sure I get what you're talking about Tuck pertaining to the SMOG thing in CA. I can't believe it would keep any dealer from performing required service. If anything, I would think such laws would be more demanding about having such service work done to keep your Spyder running clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TuckMiddle
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Not sure I get what you're talking about Tuck pertaining to the SMOG thing in CA. I can't believe it would keep any dealer from performing required service. If anything, I would think such laws would be more demanding about having such service work done to keep your Spyder running clean.

The letter I got had a big asterik and said "except in CA." Maybe I misunderstood, it's been a matter of minutes since I've been corrected by the Warden.

That's all I know about the CA requirements.

Tuck

gnirtsnod
06-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I guess I am cheap........$1000 tune up on a vehicle with only 12K miles seems outrageous to me........

Clay

In trying to sell me the "service plan", my dealer quoted prices like this. Might be why I decined?

Blue Star
06-08-2013, 07:34 PM

The letter I got had a big asterik and said "except in CA." Maybe I misunderstood, it's been a matter of minutes since I've been corrected by the Warden.

That's all I know about the CA requirements.

Tuck

According to a dealer here in California it is the C.A.R.B. laws (California Air Resource Board) that control the emission laws, oil changes, and such. For this reason us here in California are stuck to the original service interviews such as every 3,000 miles for oil change, and 12,000 for the valve check. Not saying that if you do not follow these requirements the law will bounce on you (or will they?), as I have been told that BRP changed the requirements for California too. This was told to me by a friend who was given this information by the same dealership.

Recently I was at my mechanics (not the above mentioned dealer) for my 3,000 service, and asked if we were still stuck to the 3,000 mile schedule. He said it depends on how I drive. Lots of freeway without stop and go, then I should be good for 5,000. Yet with a lot of stop and go I should stick to 3,000 miles. I did ask about the warranty, but at my age I do not remember his reply.

I paid $279.00 for the 3,000 mile that included full synthetic oil, adjustment of my belt since it was loose, adjusting my front shocks, inflate my tires to proper air pressure, and several other things.

Sarge707
06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Maintenance $$$ Costs keep the BRP dealers Afloat? nojoke

Firefly
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm sticking with the 3,000 mile oil changes. On the valves I will play it by ear. Had them checked at 6,000 on my GS per the original BRP recommendation... but then rode another 50,000+ without checking them.

Figure on my RT I will check the valves around 30,000.

viperryder
06-09-2013, 05:37 AM

Just had our 14,000 mile check up and it only cost $420 total. Our dealer is great!!!:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
So what did they do for that money? :dontknow:

LadyDi'sSpyder
06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Sounds about average in the Atlanta area.

The really good news is your next oil change is due in 4600 miles and "inspection" is at the next 9300. Rear seals and valve check every 14,000 (valves are extended by many.) I bought a 3 year maintenance program with 6 oil changes and 6 scheduled inspections, plus prepaid tire mounting and installation, 2 batteries and several other things I can't remember. I'm an old guy with arthritis and 3 back operations and just plain can't do a lot of that stuff myself any more. I'll do oil changes after 30,000 - even bought a new stool on wheels and the yellow Harbor Freight bike jack (have 4 jackstands already) - no bending very much for me, but laying on the floor some and using the stool both work ok!

Goldwings' and Harleys' 8 or 10,000 mile checks run at least as much as you paid at the dealer. Good independant shops offer a (varying) lower rate. Spyder shop here is $109 per hour. That's about 2.5 cents per heartbeat, sounds less expensive that way.

Happy riding:yes:

Tuck

I would need an extra jack to get me up off of the floor!!!! :banghead: Got a rolling stool also and it really helps this old girl with same issues you have. Just need to be able to elevate the spyder so I can work on it from the stool....hmmmm still pondering this one! :yes:

Jeriatric
06-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Can't find a 12K service.

No wonder prices vary........

See for yourself.

"click: http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/Updated_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf

:dontknow: :popcorn:

Spyder4Tess
06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Can't find a 12K service.
Maybe some dealers are different.

I called and asked for the 14K price and was told there is none,it is a 12K.

Jeriatric
06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Maybe some dealers are different.

I called and asked for the 14K price and was told there is none,it is a 12K.

You are in California(like you didn't know that), and Californian's may or may not have a dealer who has adapted the new 14K service guidelines. Don't be afraid to ask about that, what they do, 12K or 14K, and how much they charge.......before handing them your key. Regardless of which service schedule suits you.

tol :thumbup:

Pennyrick
06-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I picked up my 2012 Limited yesterday as I wanted the 14,000 mile service done before I leave for MV next week.

Total cost was $627.82 and $327.82 of that was parts such as gaskets, plugs, seals, spacer, bearings, pressure cap, air filter, oil filter kit, fluids (brake and coolant).

In the detail on the order the tech listed what he did. It is boring but for those interested here is the list....
-Changed oil and filters and torqued plugs to 20#
-Checked drive belt alignment and tension
-Lubed belt
-Checked all valve clearances and found all within tolerance
-Check throttle body and reverse mechanism
-Cleaned throttle body
-Replaced air filter
-Replaced spark plugs
-Performed wheel alignment to 3/16 toe out
-Checked gear box position sensor and speed sensors
-Checked tires and wheels and set pressure to 17/26 psi.
-Checked frt and rr suspension steering
-Lubed front A arms
-Replaced rear wheel seals and wear spacers
-Inspected rear wheel bearings and front hubs
-Torqued wheels to 77/105#
-Replaced rear axle cotter pin
-Checked brakes and hoses (rear pads were replaced @ 9,300 mi.)
-Flushed brake system
-Changed coolant and checked coolant hoses and cooling fan
-Replaced radiator cap
-Checked exhaust system and gaskets
-Checked lights, horn, signals and mirrors
-Cleared codes and reset service interval (unit had no codes)
-Reset steering angle sensor
-Road tested unit

As I have said before I am happy with Mountain Motorsports my dealer in Conyers, GA.