PDA

View Full Version : Test Ride Report - Likes and Dislikes?

Dilbertian
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I really enjoyed the test ride experience and was very impressed with the Spyder overall. The power was decent and the handling was WAY better then I had ever expected. The overall look was just incredible and I'm sure this bike will be VERY popular once the word gets out because it will attract a whole new crowd of MC fence sitters (like my wife).

As for what I didn't like...
- The sound. What the heck was that? I think my leaf blower sounds better! New pipes are going to be one of my first mods for sure.
- The braking. Maybe those prototypes had their brakes tweaked too sensitive but I noticed a seriously annoying feedback loop with the swing arm compressing/decompressing when stopping at a light. Either the swingarm damper needs to be more dynamic or rear brake needs more clamping force.
- The shifting. Something funky was going on when down shifting from 2nd to 1st or N. Perhaps a user issue but I have never had such a pronounced miss shift issue on other bikes.
- Parking brake engineering - all but 2 of the 8 bikes in my ride group had broken parking brakes due to poor design/materials.

I understand the bikes we rode were prototypes but I hope they make some improvements on some of these issues prior to final delivery. If nobody speaks up then the issues will likely be ignored. Early adopters often have to deal with a few annoyances - it's the price we have to pay.

-Tim

Lamonster
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Wish I could give you a report but I've yet to see one. ::) Sounds like the demo units were pretty beat though. I hope they're not perfect right out of the box or else I won't have anything to fix.

Dilbertian
09-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Wish I could give you a report but I've yet to see one. ::) Sounds like the demo units were pretty beat though. I hope they're not perfect right out of the box or else I won't have anything to fix.

Lamont,

One thing that blew me away - that I had heard others say but didn't hit me until I rode it myself was that this thing handles more like an ATV then an MC. Driving the Spyder is an aerobic upper body workout vs. an MC which is just push the centrifugally locked handlebars left or right. The good news is that it can do things that MCs just can't do - handling wise. For example during my test ride I wanted try a lane hop from my lane to the next lane over to the right so I jerked the handlebars hard right and then countered it with a hard left and straightened it out to stabilize in that lane. The bike seemed to literally hop from one lane to the other, just like my old hot rod did it.

At one of the stoplights on our test ride I tried to smoke the back tire but only got a quick squeal out of it before the traction control kicked in. Compared to the M109R it's MUCH less power but still pretty decent compared to most normal motorcycles. However...being an M109R owner (as yourself) I can tell you that I was CRAVING more power so you need to come up with a way to supercharge or turbocharge that engine.

I was talking to a friend earlier and he said he saw 2 Spyders on a road near our local MC dealer earlier yesterday so there is a possibility that deliveries have started but last I talked to my salesman, he said that they would be getting two prototype units for demo rides - a more likely explanation of the sighting.

I will check into it and let you know but if you are interested in taking a ride and want to drive all the way out to Lake Ridge, VA, I might be able to hook you up.

-Tim

Spyderman
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't like that the handlebars are so low and it forces you down on the bars.

jeuchler
09-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey, Spyderman

It looks like one of the Spyder accessories available will be a 2" handlebar riser set!

demonitor
09-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Lamont,

One thing that blew me away - that I had heard others say but didn't hit me until I rode it myself was that this thing handles more like an ATV then an MC. Driving the Spyder is an aerobic upper body workout vs. an MC which is just push the centrifugally locked handlebars left or right. The good news is that it can do things that MCs just can't do - handling wise. For example during my test ride I wanted try a lane hop from my lane to the next lane over to the right so I jerked the handlebars hard right and then countered it with a hard left and straightened it out to stabilize in that lane. The bike seemed to literally hop from one lane to the other, just like my old hot rod did it.

At one of the stoplights on our test ride I tried to smoke the back tire but only got a quick squeal out of it before the traction control kicked in. Compared to the M109R it's MUCH less power but still pretty decent compared to most normal motorcycles. However...being an M109R owner (as yourself) I can tell you that I was CRAVING more power so you need to come up with a way to supercharge or turbocharge that engine.

I was talking to a friend earlier and he said he saw 2 Spyders on a road near our local MC dealer earlier yesterday so there is a possibility that deliveries have started but last I talked to my salesman, he said that they would be getting two prototype units for demo rides - a more likely explanation of the sighting.

I will check into it and let you know but if you are interested in taking a ride and want to drive all the way out to Lake Ridge, VA, I might be able to hook you up.

-Tim

Hey Tim,

I was down in Woodbridge today and they do have 2 prototypes @ Colemans for test drive. I ask my salesman when they would be getting the Spyders in and he is still sticking with a mid Sept. date. I hope to be on the road by Oct. ;D

D.J.

Dilbertian
09-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Tim,

I was down in Woodbridge today and they do have 2 prototypes @ Colemans for test drive. I ask my salesman when they would be getting the Spyders in and he is still sticking with a mid Sept. date. I hope to be on the road by Oct. ;D

D.J.

DJ,

I went in last night to talk to "BIG" and he said he is expecting (didn't sound too confident) his first delivery in within the next two weeks. He is expecting it will be 4 bikes per shipment and that they will get a shipment in about every two weeks. I think I am #11 or 12 on their list so it looks like another month+ for me he said.

Yes, I saw the demo unit Spyders up there. I think they are prototypes, not actual production units. If Lamont or anyone else wants a test ride, just call Coleman Powersports and ask for "BIG" and he can hook you up. If you have any issues, just call me and I will do what I can to help.

-Tim

DLPeace
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Look what I found.<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=9454979

Spyderman
09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Not to do with the test ride but I love the fact that it runs on 87 octane! My 109, Rune and Vette all call for 91.

Lamonster
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Look what I found.<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=9454979

This video was deleted.
:dontknow:

DLPeace
09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I wounder why they took that video off?