PDA

View Full Version : A Convertible top/bimini for the Spyder?

ArmandB
07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey guys,

Does anyone make such an animal?

Dragonrider
07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a spandex "sun cover" for my RT, that attaches with 4 hooks. Folds up into a 4x6 inch bag. It has an Eagle/US flag motif, and cost about $12 - I use it everywhere, especially if I'm going to have to leave the Spyder unattended for 30 minutes or more. I've actually come up to my Spyder, and found strangers sitting on it.

Bob Denman
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Dave made up one to keep Teddy's Mohawk out of the sun...
Are looking for one to use while on the cruise?? :shocked:

Dragonrider
07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
You might want to look at these: http://www.cycleshade.com There are several competitors out there.

ArmandB
07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Dave made up one to keep Teddy's Mohawk out of the sun...
Are looking for one to use while on the cruise?? :shocked:

Yes, a top to block the sun while on a cruise......

pslawing
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I have a spandex "sun cover" for my RT, that attaches with 4 hooks. Folds up into a 4x6 inch bag. It has an Eagle/US flag motif, and cost about $12 - I use it everywhere, especially if I'm going to have to leave the Spyder unattended for 30 minutes or more. I've actually come up to my Spyder, and found strangers sitting on it.

Where did u get it?

SpyderAnn01
07-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes, a top to block the sun while on a cruise......

May I suggest that you drive your car then instead of the Spyder.

Flight Risk
07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
You might want to look at these: http://www.cycleshade.com There are several competitors out there.

I believe these just cover the bike seat or shield, or both while the bike is stationary....keep the sun off.

Pappy John
07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Just to clarify..... do you want this thing deployed when in motion?:shocked:

JCSMOKE
07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Just to clarify..... do you want this thing deployed when in motion?:shocked:
I get the feeling that is exactly what is wanted, perhaps a T Rex would work better for them

Dragonrider
07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Where did u get it?

It's been too long & I don't remember. But I bought several, when I did. One for use, one for a spare, and one for my son…..

CyncySpyder
07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
50438 50439 50440 50441 50442

Ron2andia
07-29-2012, 05:21 PM
So cute!:spyder2:

ArmandB
07-29-2012, 07:47 PM
May I suggest that you drive your car then instead of the Spyder.

Always a smart ass somewhere. Thanks for your input :lecturef_smilie:

SpyderAnn01
07-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Always a smart ass somewhere. Thanks for your input :lecturef_smilie:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just do not understand why in the world you would want to put a bimini on a Spyder. If you are worrried about sun exposure cover your skin or ride on cloudy days.

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Even I've got to admit that the request is a bit out of the norm for what we see in here... Dave engineered his for Teddy; perfectly reasonable to protect your best friend who can't tell you if they're having difficulties...
Putting a top on your Spyder would certainly make it unique; but also maybe more carlike than a lot of folks in here would ever want. I'm all for individuality; but if somebody doesn't quite answer what seems like a strange request to them in an expected way... :dontknow:

Back to the topic at hand...
You'll need to have some mounting bracketry for up front; maybe some verticals added to Lamonster's NBV mounts?? Creating a stay for them... :dontknow:
You wouldn't want to try and tie it in just to the Tupperware. :shocked: That would probably be a very expensive mistake. The rear mounting would be pretty easy; use the grab rails!
Ask Dave about his; he might have some insight that'll help. We'll also want to see your finished product; you might even have a marketable item??? :thumbup:

Firefly
07-30-2012, 07:59 AM
I actually totally get what AmandaB is talking about and am shocked that no one has brought one to market. A unit that could fold up and mount from the front to the back, covering the rider from rain, sun, etc.

My main thought was for rain. Covering for the sun wouldn't be my thing, but some people are really sensative to the sun.

In the rain, who really cares if it's not 'cool' or not?

Also,
To be honest, I'm actually shocked no one has come out with a plastic fairing type unit that would mount in place of the windshield and go all the back over the rider and attach to the rear too. Like a big bubble. Not saying it would be my thing, but in nasty weather or riding in the winter in Michigan---- I could see it being pretty nice.

I have a snow-cab on my snow thrower. I hope that doesn't make me not look cool....... ;-)

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
You ; NOT cool??? :yikes:
Maybe if you could strenthen the bracketry that holds the windshield in place? :2thumbs:

lyonsden
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
We were in Barcalona a while back and I had to take a picture of this. I bet this is what you have in mind maybe.

mooneych
07-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Something like this, but removable?

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/bf2d1865d7c5ee9a711de6a1d7495544/l.jpg

CyncySpyder
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
And I could care less what the other guy/gal thinks of it, if it works for me:rolleyes: I'm worried about stability, vibrations, and oh yeah, that dang pesky "Voiding my Warranty" thing to actually put what I've been thinking into a practical application, just yet:rolleyes: Then, there's that whole legal thing as well, as I don't know what the laws are concerning such an abomination :roflblack: on the road:dontknow::lecturef_smilie::rolleyes:

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
But if it works; it might make enough money for you that the IRS will sit up and take notice... :shocked: Oops! What am I saying??? :yikes:

Dochands
07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Apparently you folks live up north. In Oklahoma it will be 111 today and I am sure Houston is no better.

Something that would safely keep the sun off of me directly would be amazing if it existed.

CyncySpyder
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif Did you ever solve the problem of unwanted aerodynamic lift at highway speeds? :shocked: We wouldn't want to hear stories of flying Spyders! :yikes:

Firefly
07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Something like this, but removable?

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/bf2d1865d7c5ee9a711de6a1d7495544/l.jpg

Yes. That is what I was referring to. I do believe there would be a market for one on the Spyder....especially for those who ride in the winter and snow.

bullant12
07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I may be stirring up the pot here, and I could care less what :cus: two wheelers that are jealous or plain idiots calling us :spyder2: ryders non-motorcycle-ists... But we are just giving them more of a reason to let these :cus:holes give us a hard time (again, I don't care, I like being out in the open space regardless of what a snobish HD rider thinks). Besides, as Bob is saying, the aerodynamics on something like a bimini on our machines would be a pain in the behind...

I can see the comments now "So these things are sailboats now?!?!"

No disrespect, but I agree with Spyderann01...:doorag:

Dragonrider
07-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Hmm, the thought of a cover while driving never crossed my mind…. Let's see: three wheeled vehicle + top = seat belts = car….

Firefly
07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Hmm, the thought of a cover while driving never crossed my mind…. Let's see: three wheeled vehicle + top = seat belts = car….

Funny.. that sounds a lot like the attitude of many 2-wheeled riders towards Spyder riders.... that since we have 3 wheels , 2 in the front, etc... that it's not a MC.... but a car or a sissy bike.

What about Jeep owners who run open in the summer... then add a soft top or a hard top in the winter.... I suppose some have problems with them also.....

I don't see anything wrong with it.. if that's what the person wants to do... and I could actually see a practical use for it. Those who don't live in cold climates or are just 'fair weather' riders wouldn't understand.

I think a unit similar to those pictured would work. Doesn't look any sillier than some other things I've seen people do to their Spyders......

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Fly,
If you and I keep finding common ground, something awful has GOT to be just around the corner...:shocked:

Dragonrider
07-30-2012, 10:34 AM
The reverse of this might work, as well as improve gas milage. Might be a tad tough to steer in a crosswind - :dontknow:

bullant12
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
I think a unit similar to those pictured would work. Doesn't look any sillier than some other things I've seen people do to their Spyders......

True... but what seems to be a sucessfull modification to one is a silly contraption to another. Just a matter of opinion. And opinions are like belly buttons (not to say the "a" hole word)... everyone's got one!

TuckMiddle
07-30-2012, 11:29 AM
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/twike.html

I actually saw one of these at the trike dealer/conversion shop in Jasper, GA 18 months ago or so. 4 cyl Ford eng, auto trans, steering wheel air cond, heater, top kinda like a Jeep. It sold and I guess it went out of the area, haven't seen it around anywhere. It may have been all fabric and not plastic looking in the front can't remember.

Seems to me it's made in Canada and kinda expensive. There's one on e-bay for $28, 500 buy it now. No top, sorry.:rolleyes:

Tuck

NancysToy
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm afraid that if the Spyder got a top, I'd have to start hiding my head in shame. ;) What's next? ...seat belts? ...airbags? ...air conditioning? Sorry, but I have to agree with Ann. I mean no disrespect, but if you need those things, I don't think the Spyder is the ride for you. If I wanted that kind of stuff I'd buy a Miata. nojoke

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
But there's nothing wrong with coming up with a unique idea... Right? :shocked:

spyder3
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm afraid that if the Spyder got a top, I'd have to start hiding my head in shame. ;) What's next? ...seat belts? ...airbags? ...air conditioning? Sorry, but I have to agree with Ann. I mean no disrespect, but if you need those things, I don't think the Spyder is the ride for you. If I wanted that kind of stuff I'd buy a Miata. nojoke

Air conditioning?......point me in the right direction...:roflblack:

bullant12
07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
What's next? ...seat belts? ...airbags? ...air conditioning? Sorry, but I have to agree with Ann. I mean no disrespect, but if you need those things, I don't think the Spyder is the ride for you. If I wanted that kind of stuff I'd buy a Miata. nojoke

Or this: https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXE5StkdRc83tBSIx3h6j25eCyrePep BiFIHoddrPDac19KnhK :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Is that the TRUCKSTER??? :bowdown::bowdown: :2thumbs:

bullant12
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Is that the TRUCKSTER??? :bowdown::bowdown: :2thumbs:

"Honky Lips":roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Tierhog
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Agree 100% I'd return to two wheelers lol

ArmandB
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Apparently you folks live up north. In Oklahoma it will be 111 today and I am sure Houston is no better.

Something that would safely keep the sun off of me directly would be amazing if it existed.

I agree 100%

ArmandB
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes. That is what I was referring to. I do believe there would be a market for one on the Spyder....especially for those who ride in the winter and snow.

Like it. Maybe a removable canvas top?

Bob Denman
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
"Honky Lips":roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:shocked: Well I just don't know what to say... :roflblack:
Of all the things that I've been called over the years; that may have been the only one that was missing! :2thumbs:

Sir; I salute you! :bowdown:
:bowdown: :firstplace:

SpyderGirl
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM

:agree:

juliantrost
07-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I am pretty sure they already have a 3-wheeler with a top. It is called t-rex. How much of a bike that is, could be argued....

ArmandB
07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I am pretty sure they already have a 3-wheeler with a top. It is called t-rex. How much of a bike that is, could be argued....

I am pretty sure we are now talking about an add-on mod for the Spyder- not the t-rex. Thanks.

Crisis
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
My bimini is called a helmet and mesh gear.........

bone crusher
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just do not understand why in the world you would want to put a bimini on a Spyder. If you are worrried about sun exposure cover your skin or ride on cloudy days.

Here, I'll take the credit for being a smart-ass. I totally agree with you...why the heck would you want a sunshade on your Spyder as your ride down the road. Get a Smart Car, for Pete's sake...

Sunshyn
07-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Checked out the "cycleshade" link. Pretty cool! Made me think of a "shade while parked in the sun" thing that Erags made for their Spyder. It is a beach towel with a casing made on each narrow end, elasticised cord run through the casings that fasten onto handlebars and the back somewhere. I thought about it and looked for a water repellant shower curtain type material. I would get white for light reflection, not black . A big ol' Spyder appliqued on it would be nice. Then I thought about the silvery material that is used for those fold up car shade things, but that would be a lot of bulk to carry around. I will take pics of what I come up with.

Sandy

SpyderAnn01
07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Wow, I haven't been on the forum today because I rode with a friend to Flagstaff because she needed to get some experience riding in the rain. I am feeling the love here and am flattered that a few of you agree with me. Give me the sun, wind and the rain but don't put a roof on my Spyder.

angel
07-31-2012, 03:38 AM

We hare you on that Doc it is Hell here in TX just got in 30 min ago and was 98 we need Air on these:shocked:

pslawing
07-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Checked out the "cycleshade" link. Pretty cool! Made me think of a "shade while parked in the sun" thing that Erags made for their Spyder. It is a beach towel with a casing made on each narrow end, elasticised cord run through the casings that fasten onto handlebars and the back somewhere. I thought about it and looked for a water repellant shower curtain type material. I would get white for light reflection, not black . A big ol' Spyder appliqued on it would be nice. Then I thought about the silvery material that is used for those fold up car shade things, but that would be a lot of bulk to carry around. I will take pics of what I come up with.

Sandy

Sandy,
I was thinking the same thing! this thread kinda went south. It started with covering your bike, protect from sun and people sitting on it. I would love to find something like you described.

CyncySpyder
07-31-2012, 06:37 AM
:( I'm a little saddened by some of the responses that the OP has gotten, as they didn't ask for your opinions if you liked the idea of them modding THEIR Spyder to fit their needs or if they should get a different vehicle :lecturef_smilie:

:helpsmilie:Hate to think of a world where we were all the same:helpsmilie:

Bob Denman
07-31-2012, 06:48 AM
:agree: Give some credit for thinking that is "outside of the box" :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Bimini tops aren't designed for high speeds. If you go more permanent than that you have an automobile. Just saying.

ArmandB
07-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Nonunion tops aren't designed for high speeds. If you go more permanent than that you have an automobile. Just saying.

Wow, enough already. Just was trying to get ideas to possibly make this happen. Was not asking for the car comments - more in the line of positive input would be appreciated....

Firefly
07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Wow, enough already. Just was trying to get ideas to possibly make this happen. Was not asking for the car comments - more in the line of positive input would be appreciated....

Something along these lines.......

http://gizmodo.com/5014716/rocketshields-put-a-detachable-roof-on-your-sportbike

Flight Risk
07-31-2012, 05:19 PM

:agree: .... can't believe I'm saying this but with the heat produced here in the south...........Lord a bit of shade would be welcomed. It definitely would be a wicked looking thing but...........

msj4848
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
:thumbup:http://img.ksl.com//usersubmittedpics/6/683/68325.jpg?filter=ksl/img300

Trickie Dick
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Air conditioning?......point me in the right direction...:roflblack:

http://entrosys.com/

SpyderAnn01
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Something along these lines.......

http://gizmodo.com/5014716/rocketshields-put-a-detachable-roof-on-your-sportbike

Did you read the review on this?

Firefly
07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Did you read the review on this?

Yup.... but different strokes for different folks. I could see many liking such a setup.

Bob Denman
08-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Engineering it to handle decent highway speeds will be your toughest task... I salute you, and wish you the very best of luck! :bowdown:

bullant12
08-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Engineering it to handle decent highway speeds will be your toughest task... I salute you, and wish you the very best of luck! :bowdown:

:agree:

Firefly
08-01-2012, 07:34 AM
:( I'm a little saddened by some of the responses that the OP has gotten, as they didn't ask for your opinions if you liked the idea of them modding THEIR Spyder to fit their needs or if they should get a different vehicle :lecturef_smilie:

:helpsmilie:Hate to think of a world where we were all the same:helpsmilie:

I agree!

If such a top isn't your thing---fine--- don't buy one.... But if Amanda wants one for HER spyder---- what's the problem. It would still be. SPYDER underneath such a device!

I could easily see such a unit being very nice to have for I climate weather. I'd be more apt to ride longer into the snowy winter months when many just park and store for the whole winter.

The idea that putting a top on the spyder would make it into a car reminds me of those who give us a hard time saying the Spyder isn't a real motorcycle because of having 3 wheels.

Keep up the ideas Amanda.