PDA

View Full Version : First Official Question

Fatherofsix
07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Hello all. I have owned my RS for 3-4 months and I noticed this morning that one of the headlights is not working. Now I ordered a new HID headlight from one of our vendors HondaToledoEast I believe. Question, would the light be covered under warranty? It only has 3,000 miles on the bike. I am going to have the dealer install the HID lights. It if they have to fix the current light under warranty, I was wondering if he can put the new lights in without the full price of labor. First motorcycle so just curious.

harrypottar
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't know for sure but I guess its no covered, normal wear and tear stuff like tires, batteries and bulbs are not covered by warranties.

Make a quick call to you dealer, but I would not hold my breath, changing a bulb to changing an entire light unit I would have thought be totally different.

harry

TuckMiddle
07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
The above post is correct for normal situations. If you bought a maintenance program from the Lawnenceville dealer, it will however cover (2) batteries in the 36 months, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Don't think the bulbs are covered however. They have a couple other dealerships and I got the mx program from the Kennesaw dealership and it appears to have been a good option, and they are super folks to boot.

Tuck

pro10is
07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I believe I read that BRP accessories are warrantied the same as the rest of the Spyder if they are dealer installed or ninety days if not. You dealer may be able to tell you for sure or you could contact BRP.

There's more work to installing the HID kit than just fixing the lamp so most dealers would probably charge your for labor, but your dealer may be willing to work out a deal. Doesn't hurt to ask.

The instruction sheet that comes with the HID kit (and all BRP accessories) states the expected time it will take a BRP mechanic to install so you should use that as a guide for labor costs.

kawakii
07-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I would think BRP would cover the headlights under warranty since the bike is still under manufacturers warranty and 3 to 4 months is an abnormal wear time. I would have your dealer submit a warranty claim for the broken headlamps and instead of installing just give you the part and then pay for the HID install. That way you have a working set of normal headlamps if anything were to happen to your HID's in the future or that you could possibley sell to recoup some of the money you spent on HID lamps.

Just my 2 cents :)

harrypottar
07-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Not to derail this thread but curiosity as the better of me.

When your headlamp on the spyder goes, RT or RS. Apart from being fuse or wiring of course, surly you can just replace the lamp/bulb not the entire unit or are they sealed units.

:dontknow:

Suppose I could go look in the manual, but Red Green will kick me out of the lodge again if I do. Real men may cry, but never read manuals.

Harry

NancysToy
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes, you can just replace the bulb, unless they are HIDs and a ballast fails. I recommend replacing both bulbs at the same time.

SPYD3R
07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
WHEN YOU START THE BIKE, YOUR LITES COME ON... YOU'LL ONLY HAVE ONE ON WHEN THE HI-BEAMS ARE OFF.... ONCE YOU PUT THE HI-BEAMS ON, BOTH WILL SHINE.....

Hello all. I have owned my RS for 3-4 months and I noticed this morning that one of the headlights is not working. Now I ordered a new HID headlight from one of our vendors HondaToledoEast I believe. Question, would the light be covered under warranty? It only has 3,000 miles on the bike. I am going to have the dealer install the HID lights. It if they have to fix the current light under warranty, I was wondering if he can put the new lights in without the full price of labor. First motorcycle so just curious.

wyliec
07-28-2012, 10:44 AM
WHEN YOU START THE BIKE, YOUR LITES COME ON... YOU'LL ONLY HAVE ONE ON WHEN THE HI-BEAMS ARE OFF.... ONCE YOU PUT THE HI-BEAMS ON, BOTH WILL SHINE.....

When I start my GS, both headlights come on. As to whether they are hi or low beam is determined by the switch position.

Arr MiHardies
07-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Incorrect. They both turn on. Hi beams do not turn on an additional bulb. When the high beams are on, it move a shutter up out of the way allowing more light to be released out of the enclosure.

wyliec
07-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Incorrect. They both turn on. Hi beams do not turn on an additional bulb. When the high beams are on, it move a shutter up out of the way allowing more light to be released out of the enclosure.

Thanks. After thinking about SPYDR3's reply I thought about the shutter system.