PDA

View Full Version : This Is a Trivator

Motorcycledave
07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
This is called a Trivator, it was built in Santa Rosa CA. in 1976 they only made 12 of them this is number 4
at the time the top was 5 inches lower because there was no helmet law at the time and that was plenty of
head room. My buddy Gene brought it to my shop for mods we cut the top off and raised it 5 inches so there is
room for your helmet, yea you have to have on on when riding/driving it. we did the paint it was to dark so did it
again to the new gold color, installed new interior new seats and new sound system.
This thing is a blast to drive or ride, everyone want to know what the hell it is.... is it a car a bike a trike,
is it legal what did it cost the news vans even try and pull you over for a looksee.
The police don't know what to make of it.
The original guys that built the 12 sold the rightes to the body to some one in Arz. years ago... If you Google
Trivator you will see about 3 of them ....
I love to work on strange and different stuff....
Dave

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Now THAT'S different! :thumbup:
What's it got for a powerplant?

dliszews
07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Cool. Looks like something that George Barris would have done.

Motorcycledave
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM
It has a VW engine and transmission, standard 4 speed but Gene is looking at something newer and
smoother with an automatic.
I have known George Barris for years he has seen this vehicle and thought it was cool.
I will be seeing him at the SEMA show in November in Las Vegas. I will do what I have in the past on other Forums
and take tons of photos and up load them here for all to see if you would like me to.
Enjoy
Dave

tajohn
07-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing this you talk as though you enjoy your Gem !!!!!!!!!

smoky
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
this would suffer the same handling and stability problems that typical two in the rear trikes would. Rear wheels probably get off the ground easily on curves and front steering would be much awash as it appears. Still like the Y concept best! Yes?

Which brings up another subject: why do we continue to call our Spyders "bikes" which is short for "bi-cyles", bi meaning TWO and cycles meaning wheels? A "bike" is a TWO WHEELED CYCLE! Realistically a Spyder is a "trike" meaning three wheels but I dislike the connotation of comparison with the typical "trike" ah'la Honda and HD. Maybe we all should take an oath to simply refer to them as "Spyders" whenever and wherever and not be too lazy not to say "bike." Amen?:bowdown:smoky

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I will be seeing him at the SEMA show in November in Las Vegas. I will do what I have in the past on other Forums
and take tons of photos and up load them here for all to see if you would like me to.

Oh; by all means! We'd love to see some of SEMA's finest! :2thumbs: :bowdown: :thumbup:

Motorcycledave
07-27-2012, 07:49 PM
What is a Gem... I may enjoy it if I knew what it was the only thing that comes to mind is
diamonds and such and an electric car called a Gem
Dave

Thanks for sharing this you talk as though you enjoy your Gem !!!!!!!!!

boborgera
07-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Which brings up another subject: why do we continue to call our Spyders "bikes" which is short for "bi-cyles", bi meaning TWO and cycles meaning wheels? A "bike" is a TWO WHEELED CYCLE! Realistically a Spyder is a "trike" meaning three wheels but I dislike the connotation of comparison with the typical "trike" ah'la Honda and HD. Maybe we all should take an oath to simply refer to them as "Spyders" whenever and wherever and not be too lazy not to say "bike." Amen?:bowdown:smoky

:agree: I've been saying that for years, My Spyder was a Trike and my Tri Glide is a trike..
But a lot of Trike owners want to be quasi Motorcyclist. Just read some of the threads about how some guy on a bike didn't wave to me.:hun: