PDA

View Full Version : 156 miles

mtbear
07-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I just filled up with 156 miles on tripmeter, gas gage was on empty and fuel warning light was on.
Spyder took 4.7 gal. with major topping off.
So Really 6.6 Gal. tank?
mtbear

Firefly
07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I just filled up with 156 miles on tripmeter, gas gage was on empty and fuel warning light was on.
Spyder took 4.7 gal. with major topping off.
So Really 6.6 Gal. tank?
mtbear

Yup-- it can hold that much.. but look at the shape of it.. no way to get an accurate measure of what is left.... and it also seems you cannot really use all that is in the odd-shaped tank. After the last bar on gauge is gone you can still go 20 to 40 miles.... but I don't recommend pushing it...... been there.. did that.. 184 miles and out of gas......

zrc
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Yup-- it can hold that much.. but look at the shape of it.. no way to get an accurate measure of what is left.... and it also seems you cannot really use all that is in the odd-shaped tank. After the last bar on gauge is gone you can still go 20 to 40 miles.... but I don't recommend pushing it...... been there.. did that.. 184 miles and out of gas......

I agree with Fly, it is a 6.6 gas tank, but there is head room and its shaped all jacked up and coasting into a gas station at 178 I have put 5.8 in but never more. Usually the average "no bar" fill for me is around 5.6

Cheerie-Oh!

ARtraveler
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
You are right in the ball park of what goes on with the gas gauge/refill mode. If you have the guts, try running to 185 miles or so before filling up. It will take about 5.3 to 5.5 gallons. I have never had the guts to ride to empty.

The warning light and "empty" indicator on the :ani29: are "early" IMO.

As mentioned in a few threads the last week or so--disconnect the gas/temp guages and go with the digital ones that pop up on your main screen.

boborgera
07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
If your Spyder runs on air the last .6 , Yes its an 6.6 gal tank.,
BUT if your Spyder runs on gas like mine did it's a 6 gal tank.

Cruzr Joe
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Any problems after you run out of gas? Will a simple gas infusion be all that is needed or will you have to prime something?

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I was wondering that very same thing... but I've got no desire to test it out for myself! :opps:

boborgera
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Any problems after you run out of gas? Will a simple gas infusion be all that is needed or will you have to prime something?

No problem, Just add gas hold the starter for 3 seconds, Did it twice to see how much gas the tank really held. 5.8 5.9

Schultzi
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

I agree with Firefly
The most what i put in was 5.8 gal, 207 miles. Running down hill on interstate about 65 mph, barley touching trottle.
Running on fumes and swetting like hell, if you know what i mean. LOL!!

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
No problem, Just add gas hold the starter for 3 seconds, Did it twice to see how much gas the tank really held. 5.8 5.9

Thanks Bob! :thumbup:

NancysToy
07-27-2012, 02:40 PM
The 6.6 capacity includes head space and some space above the fill opening. The practical capaity is 6.0 gallons. 4.6 is about right when the warning light first comes on. The "reserve" seems to be about 1.4 gallons. How you fill will make a difference, as will the particular type of pump nozzle and strength of the gas pump. If you can get 156 miles on a tank, consider yourself lucky. Many get far less.

Cruzr Joe
07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info

leenanj
07-27-2012, 03:13 PM

When I first got my Spyder I wanted to see just how accurate and how far I could go on a tank of gas so I would not have any surprises.

Carried a gallon a fuel with me and drove around town.

I was on the last bar with about 165 miles on it. Started up a small hill, engine started to sputter, error codes came up, went into limp mode. :yikes:
I just added the gallon of gas and went to the first gas station.

Nanny don't like running out of gas and I'm sure its not good for the engine when it starts misfiring.

spyder3
07-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I also get 155-165 per tank and still have a bar showing. i usually get 5.2 gallons when filling. I keep the gas nozzle approx 1/2" below the fill hole so its been pretty consistent. Considering my fuel lite used to come on @ 120 miles i'm pretty happy with 160+/-

exwinger
07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I never trust the gas guage , i judge from when the light comes on .Mine seems to have to spots , 125 miles and 155 miles , depending on riding conditions. When the light comes on I start looking for a station within the next 25 to 30 miles.The most gas I've put in was 5.8 and that was on a ride that I didn't notice the light come on and didn't know how long it had been on ( was at 168 miles ) . If wife hadn't noticed it I'd probably found out what an empty tank feels like . Fortunately there was a station not too far away and I had 180 miles then.

mtbear
07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone, Guess I will try disconnecting the fuel gauge.
mtbear:D