PDA

View Full Version : Something Different....

vampyregirl
07-26-2012, 06:04 PM
So, I'm on the way home from picking up some meds for the dog and notice my front right (as you are sitting on the Spyder) fender is shaking something awful. It's been doing this a little bit, but I didn't think anything of it. I look at it, then look at the one on the left for comparison.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!

I'm missing a bolt!!!!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

It's technically called a hex screw AND bushing that secures the fender to the frame of the bike!!!! :gaah::gaah:

Just ordered a new one of each and hopefully it will get here soon!!!! Paid extra for UPS, so I'm hoping so!!!!

There are 2 screws and bushings that hold it to the arm. One (thankfully) is still there, but it's loose as hell. I'll have to tighten it up and use a zip tie (or two) if I have to go anywhere this evening or tomorrow. My Jeep is in the shop getting an O2 sensor replaced.

This could have been real ugly if the other screw let loose!! I would have lost the fender!! Eeeeesh!!!!!

And how was your day??? :D

JCSMOKE
07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
My day was just fine, not any more exciting then yours was:yikes: That could have been a bad situation for sure, I would take a wrench to the other side just to make surenojoke Glad you found it in time.

DR Buck
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Just back from getting my RT serviced for the 3000 mile checkup. The tech found 5 missing screws/bolts!:yikes: The service manager didn't say where, but you bet I'm going to be checking things a little closer before I ride.

vampyregirl
07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Just back from getting my RT serviced for the 3000 mile checkup. The tech found 5 missing screws/bolts!:yikes: The service manager didn't say where, but you bet I'm going to be checking things a little closer before I ride.

Well, that's just not right!! I certainly hope they replaced them!!!

DR Buck
07-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, that's just not right!! I certainly hope they replaced them!!!

Yes, I failed to mention that they did replace them. Free of charge. :yes: Of course, the rest of the service cost me bucket of cash.:helpsmilie:

vampyregirl
07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I know what ya mean!! At least they replaced them for free!!!

Well, no zip ties can be used. The screw goes into a solid piece. I'll just have to keep on eye on it until the new one comes in! Tightened the other screw. The left side was just fine! When I get the new screw and bushing, I'll be putting a dab of locktite on it!!!!

exwinger
07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Did you think about taking one to a hardware store and getting a replacement , even if for a temp fix ??

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 06:31 AM
It might not actually be a bad idea for all of us to try and figure out just what the sizes are of those screws/nuts/bolts that give us the most, "Oh :cus:!" moments and post them in here somewhere...

zrc
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Locktite! I have started using it like a mad man. Mainly due to back tire assembly breakdown and replacement, in conjunction with that, I have had a heck of a time keeping my Corbin Fleetliner bottom bolts in, until now :D

dliszews
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Yikes...this story is reminding me of how bad Triumphs and Hardlys use to be. Time to lift
the Spyder and torgue them all down.