PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments for a more comfortable ride

5-0 spyder
07-26-2012, 12:17 AM
I recently bought a 2012 Spyder RT-S after trading in my 2005 Yamaha Venture. After 30 years of riding on 2 wheels I decided to take the plunge and go with 3. It definately takes getting used to. So far I've had the motorcycle for about a week and I'm starting to feel very comfortable. I recently went for a ride of about 40 miles and I noticed that my knees and my hips began to feel cramped. I'm 5'11" tall and I need something to stretch out my legs. I'm considering highway pegs or a comfort seat that would give me 2 more inches of room. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons of either. Any recommendations? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SpyderAnn01
07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
I recently bought a 2012 Spyder RT-S after trading in my 2005 Yamaha Venture. After 30 years of riding on 2 wheels I decided to take the plunge and go with 3. It definately takes getting used to. So far I've had the motorcycle for about a week and I'm starting to feel very comfortable. I recently went for a ride of about 40 miles and I noticed that my knees and my hips began to feel cramped. I'm 5'11" tall and I need something to stretch out my legs. I'm considering highway pegs or the a comfort seat that would give me 2 more inches of room. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons of either. Any recommendations? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome: there are a lot of options out there. Check out some of our site sponsors on the home page for some suggestions. There are several seat options Corbin, Ultimate, Russell Day Long and the BRP Comfort Seat. For pegs Lamont the owner of spyderlovers.com makes a set he calls NBV (no bad vibes). There are also floorboards available. If you do a search you should find all of the info you need. Good luck and happy spydering.

currin20fan
07-26-2012, 03:45 AM
:welcome:Let the mods begin!

harrypottar
07-26-2012, 05:59 AM
:congrats::welcome:

There are lot of options as Spyder Ann pointed out, take a look a the seal floorboards. I'm 6 foot with stock seat the seal's allow you to move your feet around. I sometimes ride with my feet behind me to rest the knees ( on highways, not around town) and you still have room to stretch your feet out, the boards angle up at the front. They're both board and sort of highway peg in one.

I'm thinking about the ultimate tall boy seat as well at some point, the stock to me is not that bad, so I would like to be able to try one first.

Harry

CyncySpyder
07-26-2012, 06:19 AM
:congrats: &:welcome:

You've found the :firstplace: site on the WWW for ANYthing & EVERYthing :f_spider: related:2thumbs:

As others have posted, you have many options:thumbup: One caveat that I would add about getting any "Highway" pegs or "Boards" is that in order to comfortably use them, you'll also need to add the SpyderPops (Another Supporting Vendor) "Missing Air Damn" or "Heat-Shield" for the right side vent. Most pegs or boards put your foot placement very near to the right side vent, where the fan is located, causing your foot to feel like its under a blow torch:wrong:

I know on our 2011 RT-S with the Fin-Cover Highway Pegs that we have, it was hot enough to melt the glue holding my right boot together:yikes: Put on the Heat-Shield & it took care of the problem:chill: by about 85-90%:thumbup: So keep this in mind for your own comfort and Enjoy your New Ryde :yes:

Ivorspyder
07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
:welcome:I traded my Goldwing in for the RT a few weeks ago.I am 5ft 9inches and opted to keep my standard seat for the time being..On the Goldwing I used to get leg and knee pains after about an hour riding.Thus having to use my hwy pegs to relieve it .On the Spyder it has been great.I do a lot of long distance touring.eg 7000 miles on the Wing in June just before I bought the Spyder
After reading up a lot on this forum which is really great I decided to go with the Seal Floorboard which enables me to stretch my legs and move them to different positions.Also eliminates me buying highway pegs.I live in Florida so after riding with the Standard seat for a couple of months if I am not happy will ride upto Daytona and try out the Corbin and Ultimate seats.

Bob Denman
07-26-2012, 06:37 AM
The shopping may now begin in earnest! :yes::ohyea:
Another take on stretching out a littl bit...
ISCI's floorboards have multiple mounting positions so that you can adjust them for maximum comfort. I mounted mine in the lowest possible place so that I could straighten my legs out a bit more than normal.

5-0 spyder
07-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. I am looking through the numerous advertisers on the site as well as other sites that I found and try to figure out the best fit for me.

Nudels2u75
07-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I recently bought a 2012 Spyder RT-S after trading in my 2005 Yamaha Venture. After 30 years of riding on 2 wheels I decided to take the plunge and go with 3. It definately takes getting used to. So far I've had the motorcycle for about a week and I'm starting to feel very comfortable. I recently went for a ride of about 40 miles and I noticed that my knees and my hips began to feel cramped. I'm 5'11" tall and I need something to stretch out my legs. I'm considering highway pegs or a comfort seat that would give me 2 more inches of room. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons of either. Any recommendations? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I had gel Packs added to the seat and now I just orderd corbin seat, and now trying to put together floorboards and highway pegs, as I do long distant trips, just turned one week old today and has 2100 miles on her....Very Uncomfortable as you say...I would still have to put my 2010 Wing on top for tour and then not sure about the spyder or the HD Ulta Classic screamin Eagle....

These spyders are very uncomfortable to say the least and definitely need the mods...but which ones to buy at this point I have not made any decisions, as I have not found the ones that suit me yet...Still looking...Good Luck