PDA

View Full Version : what is the cost of packing bearings on trailer?

harrypottar
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm obviously going to call my dealer to get a final price but I have no idea if its $50 or $500 and I wanted to get a ball park figure before I call.

I don't have the can-am trailer I have a Jason Ion trailer but I assume wheel bearings are wheel bearings?

Just wondered what the average cost is and if I'm quoted hourly is it an hour or 5 hour job.

thanks in advance

harry

MMcc
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
It takes me about 1/2 hour to do the job on my trailer wheels. Very simple. Dealer may have a flat rate that they use. Almost any auto repair shop could do it for you and maybe at a lower rate. I would check around.

BajaRon
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Doing it yourself is virtually free...

harrypottar
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Doing it yourself is virtually free...

A man as to know his limitations.

I once thought to myself how hard could it be to change the oil on an ATV, so I got what I needed, even bought a torque wench.

Drained the oil fine, went to tighten the drain plug back up and boy was it tough.

Turned out that I had cross threaded the oil drain plug. It then cost me some where around $200-$300 to have the dealer drill out and fix the oil drain plug.

In sort I'm totally useless with mechanical things so I don't do them.

harry

BikerDoc
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
WEll Harry its nice to know there is someone else out there with mechanical skills similar to mine....

BajaRon
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
A man as to know his limitations.

I once thought to myself how hard could it be to change the oil on an ATV, so I got what I needed, even bought a torque wench.

Drained the oil fine, went to tighten the drain plug back up and boy was it tough.

Turned out that I had cross threaded the oil drain plug. It then cost me some where around $200-$300 to have the dealer drill out and fix the oil drain plug.

In sort I'm totally useless with mechanical things so I don't do them.

harry

Well then, how about plan B...

Get a friend to do it and it's still virtually free... Unless your friend has similar skills and then it can be expensive.

Big Arm
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
:agree:
see if there are any other Spyderlovers there around Bellingham

NancysToy
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
You might be better off visiting a trailer shop. Their labor rates are usually lower.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Any local privately owned car repair shop can do this at maybe a $50 per hour rate....probably less.....it's not rocket science....and it's not technical.....and your BRP dealer is not going to have a manual on it anyhow if it doesn't have BRP stamped all over it, so they may then charge you triple,.....just because you had the gaul to buy something different !!!!!......Mike....

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
We just did four wheels on our camper trailer, 4 new seals, 1 new bearing, a tub of grease, and an hour or so (maybe 2) of quality time with dad for about $30. Took longer to jack and block the trailer than anything. First time probably should be done with someone that has done it before. :)

boborgera
07-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm obviously going to call my dealer to get a final price but I have no idea if its $50 or $500 and I wanted to get a ball park figure before I call.

I don't have the can-am trailer I have a Jason Ion trailer but I assume wheel bearings are wheel bearings?

Just wondered what the average cost is and if I'm quoted hourly is it an hour or 5 hour job.

thanks in advance

harry

If your just repacking the bearings just get a set of[2] Bearing Buddies and a grease gun [no permit needed :roflblack:] And then you can do it yourself in two minutes, Or less, I put Bearing Buddies on all my trailers, and grease them at least twice a year.

NancysToy
07-25-2012, 09:19 PM
If your just repacking the bearings just get a set of[2] Bearing Buddies and a grease gun [no permit needed :roflblack:] And then you can do it yourself in two minutes, Or less, I put Bearing Buddies on all my trailers, and grease them at least twice a year.
The trouble with Bearing Buddies is that they only lube the outboard bearing unless you completely fill the hub cavity. If you do that, you risk blowing the seals. Bearing Buddies are good for keeping water out of boat trailer bearings, but they can cause problems for long distance highway travel in hot temperatures.

harrypottar
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
The trouble with Bearing Buddies is that they only lube the outboard bearing unless you completely fill the hub cavity. If you do that, you risk blowing the seals. Bearing Buddies are good for keeping water out of boat trailer bearings, but they can cause problems for long distance highway travel in hot temperatures.

Thanks, this is the sort of thing I would have had no clue about. When I talk to a couple of shops in the morning what exactly should I ask for. Want to make sure I ask for the right thing and it's done correctly

Tia

Harry

BajaRon
07-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Sometimes you are a kill-joy Scotty, accurate, precise, but not much fun...:joke:

NancysToy
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks, this is the sort of thing I would have had no clue about. When I talk to a couple of shops in the morning what exactly should I ask for. Want to make sure I ask for the right thing and it's done correctly.
Just ask them to clean, inspect, and repack the bearings. They should replace any failed or damaged seals, too. A trailer shop will know exactly what you need.

Sometimes you are a kill-joy Scotty, accurate, precise, but not much fun...:joke:
Nancy says the same thing...LOL.

BajaRon
07-26-2012, 01:15 AM

Nancy says the same thing...LOL.

I can't poke fun at you for being wrong... So that narrows the field quite a bit! :roflblack: