PDA

View Full Version : Spyders in monsoon weather

Dtryke
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Just wanted to post about the great stability of the Spyder in Tucson. Coming home from work, a 45 minute ride, I hit one of the typical Monsoons in Tucson. This was a 35 mph sideways wind in torrential downpour. The rain was bowing sideways and sandblasting my bare hands. My 2009 RS SE held the road even in severe wind gusts! I was able to drive past the monsoon and felt stable the entire time! I'm sure those in cars were thinking "that poor (or stupid) ryder is crazy! But with three wheels on the ground, my byke did great!! I wouldn't have wanted to try that on two wheels!

Mattman
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Has a similar experience in North Arizona a couple of weeks ago. Really glad to have that third well when that weather came!

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
The Spyders are great in the rain and wind. I've ridden in some pretty awful storms that in hindsight I probably should have found a safe place to wait it out. Just one warning - the Spyder will hydroplane especially if your tires are worn. It is a pretty freaky feeling and a good wake up to remind you to slow down.

ARtraveler
07-25-2012, 01:23 AM
You can avoid some hydroplaning if you keep the speed 50 or slightly less. Avoid standing water if possible, and good tires help also.

Dtryke
07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Yep, In Arizona - that third wheel is great!!!

Bob Denman
07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Hydroplaning has cooked more than one goose in this outfit. :shocked: Keep the basic precautions in mind so that your goose can remain fat and happy! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16_5_23.gif