PDA

View Full Version : Day four Cheyenne to Alaska and Return

dlennox
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Housekeeping item first; forgot to mention that for this trip I got the Spot Locator/Messenger and am sending a check in and location to members of both families each day, they love it as they all can keep track of where we are. Day four started out with a cool 54 degrees as we left Lake Louise enroute the Jasper Natl Park on state road 93. This was a great road as the sightseeing started almost immediately as we left Lake Louise. The temperature dropped a little into the mid 40s and stayed there most of the day. Once again we were awstruck with the amazing beauty that surrounded us; from the majestic(no other word to descrie them) mountains to the vivid greens of the pines and the meadows all contrasted with the milky green of the streams,waterfalls and lakes and topped off withe the fresh snow on the mountain tops, truley breathtaking. We stopped several times to just look(sometimes we even took a picture or two but also realized that no one picture could ever convey what we saw and felt). About two thirds of the way through Jasper Natl Park on the IceField Parkway it started to rain and the mountains became shrouded in a mist that made everything sureal, kinda reminded me of the bible story of when Moses went up the mountain to talk with God and all the people saw was the cloud, again hard to explain or take a photo of. We stopped and put our rain gear on and I had the opportunity for another lesson: Don't leave your sweat shirt hood out side the rain gear it gets wet, real wet! And the rains came down, all the rivers were over flowing camp grounds were flooding and water was every where; this part of Alberta has had record amounts of snowfall and moisture that the ground can't hold it water is running off every piece of ground that slopes down. Well we had a minor break from the rain as we entered Jasper to gas up and have a late lunch; no camera shops in Jasper so off to Hinton via state road 16. On arriving in Hinton we found a Walmart that had a replacement camera (Thank You Russ). Then it was on to Grande Cache via state 40, this was a very nice scenic ride however the road was chewed up with potholes and frost heaves from all the snow pack and moisture and it rained and rained all the way. The good news is we didn't have much traffic to contend with as everyone else was smart enough to stay inside keeping warm and dry. Did I say that it rained? Even in the rain we could see the breathtaking beauty of our surroundings again only to be experienced from the back of a motorcyle for the full effect. Right now we're warm and dry at the Best Western in Grand Cache planning our ride for tomorrow. PS. Keeping the speeds down to the low 60s has brought my gas mileage up to a respectable 29.6/gal. All in all a great day.

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I hope the rains quits and the snow stays on the top of the mountains. Have a great day tomorrow.

ARtraveler
07-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Great write up again. :2thumbs::2thumbs: We ran into the same thing on the trip to Whitehorse in 2010. The scenery was to majestic and beautiful to capture by our camera--so we did not take a lot of pictures.

Good news: The weather is taking a turn for the better here. It is going to be warmer and have some sun over the next four days or so--no advance forcast beyond that though. We will keep our fingers crossed that you will enjoy good weather in Alaska.

CyncySpyder
07-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Teddy and I missed our 2 planned road-trips so far this year and it really bummed us both out, but we're looking forward to SITA in a couple of weeks.

I keep telling ppl there's nothing like a road-trip on a Spyder to experience all that this GREAT Country has to offer. Like you said, pictures rarely catch the majestic scene before you, it has to BE experienced in person. Thank you so much for sharing, and we're looking forward to more :2thumbs:

spyderrock
07-25-2012, 10:17 AM
hi guys great write-up but just to let you know we dont have (state) roads in Canada. All our roads are known as hiways. The hiway from Jasper to Hinton is hiway 16 also known as the Yellowhead Hiway. We have been having a very wet summer stay dry as possible and be careful of the road you are taking for the next couple days there are some very big dear, Moose, and Elk on those hiways up there keep your eyes open and have fun.

Yazz
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Riding a motorcycle is the best way to enjoy that piece of road. You can see so much more going on!

Hope you get to dry out soon...

Questions
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the posts!