PDA

View Full Version : CANADIAN POSTAL SYSTEM

sealfloorboards
07-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Sometimes ya just want to pull your hair out. One of my Canadian customers ordered a set of Seal floorBoards 6 or 8 weeks ago. I always ship by the USPS because it's much cheaper than UPS od FedEx. Didn't arrive, didn't arrive, didn't arrive. No tracking #. Spoke with my customer several times and he finally said he didn't want to be scammed and wanted his money back. no problem, I sent him a Cashiers Check Registered Mail. More time passes and he calls today saying it hasn't arrived. He finally says its been somewhere in Ontario (8 hrs, from his town) since the 16th. Want's me to fix it. I track it to Canadian Customs which has cleared it thru. My Post office tells me once it's cleared a foreign Country they are thru with their part. Bank says it has not been cashed. So far he is out $600.+ and I'm out a set of Seals and the $600+ refund. No body's happy and the problem is with the Canadian Privatized Postal System. It's a mess. I sent a lot of floorboards to Canada without any problems except it takes longer than it should. Anyone else had similar experiences? DON'T LET THEM PRIVATIZE OUR POSTAL SYSTEM!

Frustrated,

John
Seal FloorBoards

FrankPa
07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
UPS and FEDEX tracking can tell you where your package was 5 minutes ago, and the USPS says tracking is updated in the evening (sometimes) and to check back tomorrow.

THAT's why they've gone from self-sufficient to billions in the hole in just a few years. Oh, that and the fact that nobody mails letters anymore...

But just think, if they were less expensive (which they are) and could actually track a package other than to the nearest 24-36 hours, they would be eating UPS' and FEDEX's lunch.

So, my though is that's what you get when you let the government do it...

bruiser
07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Postal System? We have a postal system?? :roflblack:

SPYDERGUY1
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey john. I am Canadian, and somewhat agree with your comments. Have ordered parts from the states and they finally do arrive. HOWEVER, I sent a Zippo lighter for repair some time ago to the U.S. and went through the sames circles and hoops that you are experiencing. ( finally got it back ) Please do not count us all out for shipping your product to the NORTHERN RIDERS. Thank you. UPS in Canada from my experience is WAY WORSE than the postal system. Ride safe.

spyder3
07-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Sometimes ya just want to pull your hair out. One of my Canadian customers ordered a set of Seal floorBoards 6 or 8 weeks ago. I always ship by the USPS because it's much cheaper than UPS od FedEx. Didn't arrive, didn't arrive, didn't arrive. No tracking #. Spoke with my customer several times and he finally said he didn't want to be scammed and wanted his money back. no problem, I sent him a Cashiers Check Registered Mail. More time passes and he calls today saying it hasn't arrived. He finally says its been somewhere in Ontario (8 hrs, from his town) since the 16th. Want's me to fix it. I track it to Canadian Customs which has cleared it thru. My Post office tells me once it's cleared a foreign Country they are thru with their part. Bank says it has not been cashed. So far he is out $600.+ and I'm out a set of Seals and the $600+ refund. No body's happy and the problem is with the Canadian Privatized Postal System. It's a mess. I sent a lot of floorboards to Canada without any problems except it takes longer than it should. Anyone else had similar experiences? DON'T LET THEM PRIVATIZE OUR POSTAL SYSTEM!

Frustrated,

John
Seal FloorBoards

john, when i used to ship packages out of the country it was always best to use UPS or Fed Ex for tracking purposes alone. Customs can always be an issue, but at least you know where the product is. i can't tell you how many times the USPS would "forget" to scan in the item leaving everyone wondering where the heck it was. It got to the point where i would have to wait in line and make them scan the package in front of me to make sure.

john

The extra cost wasn't that bad. ship in comfort-)

Netminder
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
As far as I know ( I work for the Canadian Border services or Customs) Canada Post is still a Crown corporation and not private. Ordering things from the states, I found a lot of times the mix ups are customs and not Canada post. Not sure in this case?But as far as I know they are not privatized yet. Hopefully our gov't won't. Go that route! Hopefully it all works out and you get your floorboards back.

Buttsy
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
the Canadian Privatized Postal System. It's a mess.

Yup......Last time I checked Canada Post is a "Federal Crown Corporation". We have certainly privatized (or contracted out) many of the services within the operations of the Post Office but we still own it. It was this or close it entirely a few years back and interestingnly enough they actually started to make a couple of bucks for a few years..go figure?

Whenever I order items from the US I insist the vendor ship USPS which flows into our postal service normally seamlessly. The reason is the courier companies are a disgrace and will charge insane amounts for "duty" or "brokerage" fees. The only chance you have is for your Canadian customer to call and harrass them until they find the parcel. In the past I had tracking numbers and this number could be traced thru a USPS web site first and then once it arrived in Canada through the Canada Post website. The least expensive shipping methods I believe (?) do not supply tracking numbers?

Good Luck

SpyderSteve
07-24-2012, 07:13 PM
As far as I know ( I work for the Canadian Border services or Customs) Canada Post is still a Crown corporation and not private. Ordering things from the states, I found a lot of times the mix ups are customs and not Canada post. Not sure in this case?But as far as I know they are not privatized yet. Hopefully our gov't won't. Go that route! I work for Canada Post and and we are NOT a privatized company, i work with CBSA every day :thumbup: [ btw if a American company will not ship a parcel to me by the USPS i will not buy it] duties etc. fed x and ups are far from perfect :doorag:

Firefly
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
UPS and FEDEX tracking can tell you where your package was 5 minutes ago, and the USPS says tracking is updated in the evening (sometimes) and to check back tomorrow.

THAT's why they've gone from self-sufficient to billions in the hole in just a few years. Oh, that and the fact that nobody mails letters anymore...

But just think, if they were less expensive (which they are) and could actually track a package other than to the nearest 24-36 hours, they would be eating UPS' and FEDEX's lunch.

So, my though is that's what you get when you let the government do it...

Hey Frank.. I deal with the USPS every day and just need to correct you on something. The main reason the USPS (which is a private arm of the government) is billions in the hole is because they were forced by Congress to pre-fund pensions and healthcare for 75 years-- and do it over an 8 year period.:shocked: Without that , they actually would be a few hundred million in the positive. :thumbup: They literally have to fund those things for employees that are not even born yet.:shocked:

They do a heck of a job with letters.... not so great with packages.. but they're getting better. Their tracking is weak.. but getting better. No one else could touch what they do for .44 a letter..... I rarely have any problems with mailed letters.. and we mail millions a year.

UPS and FedEx really have their acts together for shipping packages and tracking.... but for shipping to Canada it gets real expensive... real fast.

Firefly
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Frustrated,

John
Seal FloorBoards

--------------------------------

Sorry to hear of the problems shipping the Seal boards.. and then the check.. ughhhh..... Might want to look into doing nothing more than PayPal payments in the future. Easy to do.. easy to refund... won't get lost in the mail....:thumbup:

You have to protect yourself too as a business.... for all you know the guy could have the floorboards... AND get his refund.... guess you just have to count that most people ARE honest.

Also-- did you know that Cashiers checks can BOUNCE? Yup...especially have to be careful with international checks as they take weeks to clear. You could receive one, deposit it.. spend the money.. then weeks later find out the person cancelled it and your bank will take the funds back from you!

PayPal..... best way to do business.

SpyderSteve
07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
--------------------------------

Sorry to hear of the problems shipping the Seal boards.. and then the check.. ughhhh..... Might want to look into doing nothing more than PayPal payments in the future. Easy to do.. easy to refund... won't get lost in the mail....:thumbup:

You have to protect yourself too as a business.... for all you know the guy could have the floorboards... AND get his refund.... guess you just have to count that most people ARE honest.

Also-- did you know that Cashiers checks can BOUNCE? Yup...especially have to be careful with international checks as they take weeks to clear. You could receive one, deposit it.. spend the money.. then weeks later find out the person cancelled it and your bank will take the funds back from you!

PayPal..... best way to do business.
:agree:

oldgoat
07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Over the past 15 years I have received over 100 packages from the US using USPS. I have received every one. Some have taken 3 weeks & some only 1 week, but they have all arrived safely.

I won't let the person from whom I am buying ship by UPS or Fedex because of their brokerage fees. If they won't use USPS I don't buy from them.

To have 2 items go missing seems very strange!

Hope it all gets straightened out.

Eraser
07-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Frustrated,

John
Seal FloorBoards

John,Canada Post is not private...it is owned by the Federal Government and always has been.

Edited to add:sorry to repeat spydersteve..point made.

rnet
07-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Hey Frank.. I deal with the USPS every day and just need to correct you on something. The main reason the USPS (which is a private arm of the government) is billions in the hole is because they were forced by Congress to pre-fund pensions and healthcare for 75 years-- and do it over an 8 year period.:shocked: Without that , they actually would be a few hundred million in the positive. :thumbup: They literally have to fund those things for employees that are not even born yet.:shocked:

They do a heck of a job with letters.... not so great with packages.. but they're getting better. Their tracking is weak.. but getting better. No one else could touch what they do for .44 a letter..... I rarely have any problems with mailed letters.. and we mail millions a year.

UPS and FedEx really have their acts together for shipping packages and tracking.... but for shipping to Canada it gets real expensive... real fast.Fly, just to get you up to speed, letters are now 45 cents. nojoke

Littlebadwolf
07-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Firefly hit the nail on the head...The USPS is in deep trouble because they have to fund the pensions and entitlements from the past...it's just an indication of the shape of things to come...You're seeing States such as California and others filing bankruptcy because of this and there's gonna be lots more in the very near future. It's going to become a very heated issue and we'll see the same things happening here in the US as whats going on in Greece and the other Euro countries...It's not going to be pretty.

Bob Denman
07-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Doesn't it sometimes seem as if it'd be easier to just jump on the bike and hand deliver the package?? :gaah:

Firefly
07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Firefly hit the nail on the head...The USPS is in deep trouble because they have to fund the pensions and entitlements from the past...it's just an indication of the shape of things to come...You're seeing States such as California and others filing bankruptcy because of this and there's gonna be lots more in the very near future. It's going to become a very heated issue and we'll see the same things happening here in the US as whats going on in Greece and the other Euro countries...It's not going to be pretty.

Actually their problems stem from funding future (75 years) such programs.

Firefly
07-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Fly, just to get you up to speed, letters are now 45 cents. nojoke

Ahhh. Ok. Most everything we mail is business class, standard or non-profit which runs .15 to .26. Rarely deal with 1st class postage.

Amazing they have to keep stamp prices the same no matter how high gas prices go. UPS just adds fuel surcharges whenever they want.

sealfloorboards
07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I have no issues with the USPS. I know of no better in the world. Most of my customers insist on using it. FedEx and UPS too expensive. My mistake was not moving up one step and getting a tracking # on the FloorBoards (won't do that again). I have heard from many Canadian friends that the Canadian systems is very lacking for such an advanced and wonderful country. The USPS did what I asked them to do in both cases, which was get it to Canada. It was my postal Br. manager who told me about Canadian privatizing and her fear there are those here who want to use that model here. I really don't know anything about the two systems, just want my customers to get what they ordered. It;s really the registered letter I don't understand. He has to sign for it. It has a tracking # and should be a Canadian responsibility to deliver it.

No worries, I will continue shipping to my Canadian friends. This is just an unfortunate screw-up. I want all my friends to.....

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

BajaRon
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
I probably ship several hundred packages to Canada every year. From $10 helmet parts to $900.00 Arai helmets, Exhaust systems, Jackets, Amsoil, Spyder gear, you name it.

I shipped to 3 Canadian customers yesterday. I have had very good luck with the USPS. UPS/Fed-Ex are outrageous and it's Russian Roulette with what they will charge the customer at the other end. Not an option.

UPS, etc., do have their tracking act together though.

First, which USPS service did you use? I'm assuming floorboards weight over 4 lbs. so you're looking at, at least, Priority mail.

Did you ship 'Flat Rate' or regular mail?

You should use Paypal for EVERTHING unless the customer is opposed (happens to me less than 1% of the time). Sending money by mail internationally is not a great idea.

You should be using Click-N-Ship whenever possible as well.

All USPS deliveries are moving slower these days. A few months back the USPS 'Slowed' delivery to save money. Firefly has detailed the major reason why the USPS is in the tank financially.

It is amazing that the same people who have not passed a balanced budget in years, has spent over 6 TRILLION dollars more than they took in, in just the last 3.5 years, feels the need to require the USPS to be paid up 75 years into the future.

But then we put them there and they are still there because we are so 'Happy' with their performance!

FrankPa
07-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Firefly...
:bowdown: Good Points

John...
Saw another PayPal endorsement in here, too.

Canadian GP
07-25-2012, 07:16 PM
I work for Canada Post

Gateway?;)

SpyderSteve
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Gateway?;) yes, in teo

capt.jim
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I have had good luck with USPS Priority flat rate, can't get tracking internationally with flat rate so I insure it and use the customs tracking, which will only tell me when it arrives and leaves customs. I use signature confirmation and no insurance in the U.S. Just sent a package to the U.K. and had to use Express instead of Priority to purchase Insurance, couldn't get it with normal flat rate. USPS Express, 3-5 days with Ins. $101
UPS, 7-10 days w Ins. $214

sealfloorboards
07-26-2012, 12:43 AM
My FloorBoards weigh about 26 lbs. and have a made to fit box so no flat rate. Costs right around $100. USPS. In the future I will always pay the extra for a tracking #. It;s the registard letter and money order that is my issue. But enough! I have vented and it is what it is. I'm going to Seattle tomorrow to see the GK's. They need a Papa John fix.

ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

SilverFox1
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
"Doesn't it sometimes seem as if it'd be easier to just jump on the bike and hand deliver the package??" :gaah:

And a whole lot more fun right Bob!!!

SilverFox

Canadian GP
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
yes, in teo

I delivered in Malton from 77-87 and then Niagara Falls till I retired at Christmas.

Dragonrider
07-27-2012, 10:11 AM
John;

Another 1+ on PayPal. I ship all over the world (I use DHL for most expedited orders), and PayPal allows the only safe & reliable way to get paid, and refund my customers. It's not free, but you get paid, and can ship directly from PayPal (USPS).

billybovine
07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
It has been my experience that items I get shipped from the US, shipped by USPS, if there is a delay it can be blamed on Canada Customs. Recently it seams deliveries are getting faster.

In regards to tracking information, I ordered items from 2 site sponser venders a couple weeks ago. Both shipped via USPS. Both supplied tracking numbers. One the tracking information was useless. It was not updated after it got to a sort facility in Florida. The other the tracking information was excelent. Details on every step, right down the time it reach my local post office and was with the letter carrier for delivery to my house.