PDA

View Full Version : My first oil change....

smoky
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, been doing my first dyi oil change on RT S today (actually the past two days) and replacing the new lower panel which is supposed to make oil changes easier in the future. It's not a complicated process but boy, is it a process! Quite labor intensive. But, again, once you do it, its almost second nature the next time around.

I debated long and hard about removing the drain plug for the transmission but after reading several posts about not doing so, decided to leave it in place. Put in my initial three quarts of Amsoil and immediately got oil pressure. I had decided earlier to use exisiting washers and o rings except for the new transmission oil filter. Had no leaks, so I topped it off with total of 4.5 quarts of oil and am ready for the world. I fully expect with the Amsoil to probably change oil only once yearly but, again, the more I ride the more I like it.

With the tupperware off you get a full view of all the engineering that goes into a Spyder and garnish a greater appreciation of that engineering. I left the undercarriage cover just below the oil resevoir off for easier access to future oil changes as recommended by knowledgeable persons on this board.

I am looking forward to my future mods which include front Elka shocks and Lamont's foot rests. With that I will be the happiest Spyder rider in the country!
:bowdown:smoky

Grandpa Spyder
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
With the new panel, does that mean you do not have remove any of the upper tupperware and mirrors?

Eraser
07-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I haven't done one yet,I've had the bike in for other things so the dealer has done them ,but I will do the next one.

Georgia
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice! Hopefully I'll get to experience this one day. I am from Douglas, GA

Cavman
07-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Remove the mirrors? What? Why would I do that? Where is your oil and transmission located?

MrBones
07-24-2012, 01:38 AM
What was said about removing the transmition plug? Am going to do mine so was wondering how it drains if not removed? Thanks.

ulflyer
07-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Smokey, do you have the SE? If so, that transmission really shears oil. I've been lab testing Amsoil 10-40 and at 4000 miles its sheared down to where the oil weight is in the upper 20's. Makes me wonder how BRP can now say oil it good for 4500. I'm a fan of Amsoil and have used it for years in various cycles and cars and at first was dissapointed in the oil, but later realized its the machine thats so hard on oil. Also made me understand why BRP called for such frequent changes, when other bikes can often go 6-8K between changes, even with wet clutches. Not knocking Amsoil, I personally think its one of the better oils out there.

PS: Is the "Irish Pub" still there in Douglasville? Stopped overnite there a couple years ago and ate at the pub. Best Broc/cheeze soup I've ever had and the Harb on draft was also good!

NancysToy
07-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Smokey, do you have the SE? If so, that transmission really shears oil. I've been lab testing Amsoil 10-40 and at 4000 miles its sheared down to where the oil weight is in the upper 20's. Makes me wonder how BRP can now say oil it good for 4500. I'm a fan of Amsoil and have used it for years in various cycles and cars and at first was dissapointed in the oil, but later realized its the machine thats so hard on oil. Also made me understand why BRP called for such frequent changes, when other bikes can often go 6-8K between changes, even with wet clutches. Not knocking Amsoil, I personally think its one of the better oils out there.

PS: Is the "Irish Pub" still there in Douglasville? Stopped overnite there a couple years ago and ate at the pub. Best Broc/cheeze soup I've ever had and the Harb on draft was also good!
The transmission in the SE and the SM are the same, it is only the shifting mechanism (and centrifugal clutch on SE) that are different. If one shears oil they all shear oil.

smoky
07-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Yes, I have the SE and will take appropriate notice of the potential shear factor of Amsoil. Yes the "Pub" is still going strong and you're right, it does have great food.:bowdown:smoky

smoky
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
What was said about removing the transmition plug? Am going to do mine so was wondering how it drains if not removed? Thanks.

Apparently most think that it's unnecessary to remove the plug as so little oil remains after the filter is removed. I took a turkey baster and drew as much as I could from the filter opening and sopped some more out with a cloth:bowdown:smoky

smoky
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Nice! Hopefully I'll get to experience this one day. I am from Douglas, GA

Nice to meet cha! Been to Coffee County many times...:bowdown:smoky

smoky
07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Remove the mirrors? What? Why would I do that? Where is your oil and transmission located?

According to the owner's manual you got to remove the mirror to remove the wind deflector to remove the top panel to remove the next panel to get to the filters. With the new panel you are supposed to be able to change the oil with just removing the oil check panel and lower wind deflector. We'll see....:bowdown:smoky

ulflyer
07-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Just got back from my dealer in Albemarle NC; got new panel installed, new extended transmission cover and new filters which are wire wrapped. Very substantial looking filters and not priced too badly: $7+ for trans, $13+ for motor. As to the panel I couldn't see it being installed and visually you can't tell the difference. I guess I'll figure out how it works or loosens up when Its time to change oil again and I resume doing it. Had them grease the front end while it was there; just too hot for me to want to do it. As to the oil, I supplied Valvoline 10-40 synthetic, rated M2 and will be curious to see how it lab tests when I get to the 3K mark to compare with Amsoil tests I've had done.

I asked the dealer how much to change plugs and wires if I supplied them and he won't install anything not sold by BRP. Said he only accepted my oil since I bought the RT from him. So now I have to start looking for either another dealer to price out the plug/wire installation, or an independant mechanic thats familiar with the Can Ams.