PDA

View Full Version : RS-S SE question

Camdenlake
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
So we are leaning towards the 2nd spyder being a new rs-s. I am thinking SE is the way to go. What does the SE shift like? I know that hard but whats the ryding process with that unit? They dont have an se to currently test plus its a long drive to test :).

I am under the impression you shift up it will assist with the down shift if it feels the need? Besure to keep rpm above 3500. Am i close??

Josh

Huntindawg1962
07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
yup - shift above 3500, will do the down shifting for you usually. NO CLUTCH LEVER on the machine.

ARtraveler
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
You wont miss the clutch lever or the foot shifting if you go with the SE. Of the four :spyder2:'s I have owned, three have been SE's. I see no difference in performance either. There are a couple threads with all the particulars about shifting. Give them a read, test drive a SE and see what you think.

smoky
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
It will do the downshifting if you are slowing down....If not, you gotta help it by downshifting with the paddle. You will LOVE the SE.:bowdown:smoky

Tazzel
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
For smoother shifting try shifting about 4000 to 4500 RPMs

Camdenlake
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Ok thanks guys. Love this forum.

Josh

NancysToy
07-23-2012, 09:37 PM
You should shift above 4,500...to keep the rpm above 3,500 to avoid clutch damage. Basically, you hold the throttle steady and hit the button to upshift. You can either hit the button to downshift or it will downshift on its own. The SE also requires you to use the parking brake when it is parked, and if you shut it off in gear you will need to press on the brake to start it. That's all the quirks I can think of.

H.L.Spyder Guy
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I learned this the hard way. When a cement mixer crosses your path at 65mph your spyder will love you more if you rapidly down shift as your braking hard! My Spydee reflexes had not been developed at the time of this incident. I found myself reaching for the clutch, the front and rear brakes and my backside puckering the seat! I was able to come to a complete stop with no problems other than the bike was stuck in 3rd and did not want to shift down into neutral. I ended up just rolling the bike foreward a few feet and then back a few feet and it started to shift once again. What this actually accomplished, I don't know. I just know I didn't have to pay for a tow. (If someone could shed some light on it, that would be great.) I don't miss the clutch. By the way are you anywhere near the RavensView Water Treatment Facility in Kingston?

I'll never claim to be an expert; but I know enough to be DANGEROUS! :roflblack:

FutureRyder
07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I learned this the hard way. When a cement mixer crosses your path at 65mph your spyder will love you more if you rapidly down shift as your braking hard! My Spydee reflexes had not been developed at the time of this incident. I found myself reaching for the clutch, the front and rear brakes and my backside puckering the seat! I was able to come to a complete stop with no problems other than the bike was stuck in 3rd and did not want to shift down into neutral. I ended up just rolling the bike foreward a few feet and then back a few feet and it started to shift once again. What this actually accomplished, I don't know. I just know I didn't have to pay for a tow. (If someone could shed some light on it, that would be great.) I don't miss the clutch. By the way are you anywhere near the RavensView Water Treatment Facility in Kingston?
I'll never claim to be an expert; but I know enough to be DANGEROUS! :roflblack:

When I went for a demo ride, the previous tester left the SE5 in 1st gear and shut it off. The guys holding the demo had trouble starting it/getting it into Neutral. The third person called over said, if I recall, it was "Brake Lock". Had to rock it back and forth to get it to release, at that point it could be shifted into Neutral.
I made sure when my demo was over to put it into Neutral first before shutting it off. :thumbup: Something to keep in mind in the near future.

MRH
07-24-2012, 12:51 AM
When I went for a demo ride, the previous tester left the SE5 in 1st gear and shut it off. The guys holding the demo had trouble starting it/getting it into Neutral. The third person called over said, if I recall, it was "Brake Lock". Had to rock it back and forth to get it to release, at that point it could be shifted into Neutral.
I made sure when my demo was over to put it into Neutral first before shutting it off. :thumbup: Something to keep in mind in the near future.

I always shut mine down in first, and just make sure my foot is on the brake when I start it up again and it shifts right into neutral for me.

Bob Denman
07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
The "Essie's" a blast! :thumbup:

Camdenlake
07-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Yep drive by 3 or 4 times a week on calls. Did a tour there a few weeks back. For what it does its a cool place. But i watch that kinda stuff on tv so..... :). And you ask why... How did you know about the poop plant? Working there?

Josh

Camdenlake
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
It has been decided. Its RS-S SE5. Just now to determin colour and see what we can do on a deal. We are in no rush so if a prime lightly used 11+ poped up i would take it. The plan is in motion.

Josh

shelbydave
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM

I always shut mine down in first, and just make sure my foot is on the brake when I start it up again and it shifts right into neutral for me.

I always shut it down in first, and the next time I start it, she's in Neutral. I also HAVE to press the brake, or it won't start, regardless of whether or not it was in neutral on shutdown.

billybovine
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
So we are leaning towards the 2nd spyder being a new rs-s. I am thinking SE is the way to go. What does the SE shift like? I know that hard but whats the ryding process with that unit? They dont have an se to currently test plus its a long drive to test :).

I am under the impression you shift up it will assist with the down shift if it feels the need? Besure to keep rpm above 3500. Am i close??

Josh

The transmission in the SE is identical to the SM they are both the same manual transmission. In the SE the clutch is a centrifugal clutch with a hydraulic override. The transmission shift lever in operated by a hydraulic powered piston. The engine power is controlled by computer. To shift hold the throttle steady and flip the paddle. The computer will control everything you would do on a SM, engine power, clutch, shift lever. It will shift faster than any human being can. For the most part you drive it the same way, up shift between 4,000 to 9,000 rpm (the same as a SM). Down shift at or below 3,500 rpm unless you are stopping or in first gear (the same as a SM). If you are coming to a stop you can let it down shift for you (NOT the same as a SM).

H.L.Spyder Guy
07-24-2012, 09:30 AM
The only reason I asked was I started up and have done service work on the cake pumps that pump your pooh to the storage bunkers there. I have also spent alot of time at Longueil, Duffin Creek, Ash Bridges, Peel Lakeview, Peel Clarkson, Hamilton and London Greenway.
:thumbup:You could say your Pooh is my Bread and Butter!! :roflblack:

Colorwise the pure manesium and black mettallic is nice (My Spyder Color)...but then again so is the nitro green. I took the easy way out and just let my wife pick the color!!

Camdenlake
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
The only reason I asked was I started up and have done service work on the cake pumps that pump your pooh to the storage bunkers there. I have also spent alot of time at Longueil, Duffin Creek, Ash Bridges, Peel Lakeview, Peel Clarkson, Hamilton and London Greenway.

Colorwise the pure manesium and black mettallic is nice (My Spyder Color)...but then again so is the nitro green. I took the easy way out and just let my wife pick the color!!

Cool. If your in town sometime drop a line. Lots of traveling by the looks of it. I did fine a what looks to be a nice used black and mag one its a 2011 with 6k on it. May give them a call. Its for the wife so she is along for the process mostly :).

Josh

Bob Denman
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
She's along to make sure that you get the color right... :shocked: :D
And now the shopping begins in earnest; have fun and Good Luck! :thumbup:

FutureRyder
07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I see you are in Canada so this might not be useful. According to their website's current inventory, Leaders Marine in Michigan has 1 or 2 "brand new" 2011 RS-S SE5's. However, they list the colors of the 2012 models. It/they are marked down to $16,499 ($3100 off).

I've sent them emails to two different email addresses trying to get a color confirmation. One was returned as being "un-sendable" and I haven't seen a reply on the second email, so I have no idea what the actual colors are. Next step is to call.

zrc
07-24-2012, 10:17 AM
All I can attest to is that rapid stopping is helped to manually throw back the switch, otherwise you will find yourself in 1st with the comp thinking you are in 2nd and it takes a few seconds to sort out.

Oh yea and if you let your oil change go to long, the Tranny filter gets a little clogged and you need to let the oil heat up before wandering out or the transmission will not shift correctly.

Yea Im that guy, I got 8k miles out of an oil change at full synthetic. Now if you look at the maintenance schedule that seems A-OK

Camdenlake
07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I see you are in Canada so this might not be useful. According to their website's current inventory, Leaders Marine in Michigan has 1 or 2 "brand new" 2011 RS-S SE5's. However, they list the colors of the 2012 models. It/they are marked down to $16,499 ($3100 off).

I've sent them emails to two different email addresses trying to get a color confirmation. One was returned as being "un-sendable" and I haven't seen a reply on the second email, so I have no idea what the actual colors are. Next step is to call.

Interesting... But if i recall some past post BRP frowns on us CDN's buying the in us and the warranty is no good. ???

Josh

juliantrost
07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
So, I just got the SE5 about 4 weeks ago, but am still getting used to it, including shifting up and down. What I just read here will be a tremendous help, as for starters I tended to gear up at around 3500 RPMs, but looks like 4500 is what is recommended. Can't wait to get on the road tonight and give it a try. I test drove SM5 before getting the SE model and I found SE more responsive. On top of that, I am still hoping, my wife will finally get on the bike and it can be hers in the future. I do not miss the clutch at all and am pretty sure I will still stick to SE models going forward as well.

billybovine
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Interesting... But if i recall some past post BRP frowns on us CDN's buying the in us and the warranty is no good. ???

Josh

I tried to do this last year. Your right no warranty in Canada, but you can bring it back to the US for warranty work. It costs about $200.00 and 72 hour notice to get an export permit from the US. Of course Canada and Ontario want the 13% HST, but there is no duty. Then you have get a certificate stating the spyder complies with Canadian safety regulation, (Many Canadian Tire garages will do this.) to get Ontario plates. After I had figured all this out the dealer I was taking to in the US backed out because he was advised by BRP that they would take his dealership away if he sold more Spyders to Canadians.

donec
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I made sure when my demo was over to put it into Neutral first before shutting it off. :thumbup: Something to keep in mind in the near future.Were you able to start it?

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Remind me to never eat at your house! :yikes:

FutureRyder
07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Were you able to start it?

Yes. The first two guys knew about the SM5 but had no idea about the SE5. The third man in knew about the SE5.

As mentioned in another thread , it was the Brake Interlock.