PDA

View Full Version : Plastic rivet removal?

Questions
07-22-2012, 07:12 AM
I feel foolish asking this question, but that is probably better than feeling sorry if I break something.How do I remove those plastic rivets safely, without bending and/or breaking them? I know this is pretty basic, they look like a plastic version of the old fashioned spring clip, but also appear to be fragile. Is a tool other than a screw driver required?Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Spyderjockey
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I just use a flat screw driver. They are very resilient and will not break even after many removals.:thumbup:

Questions
07-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks

Huntindawg1962
07-22-2012, 08:19 AM
The local dealer has a thing that looks like a needle nose pliers that aids the removal - not any better than a flat screwdriver as I can tell though as they seem to take a couple tries at removal with that tool. I never saw where one would buy one of those either?

Farmboy
07-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I took a every day pair of pliers and put in vice, take a hacksaw and cut a groove reel close to the end of each jaw. works great. i will try and get a pic. and post. give me 10 min.

Bob Denman
07-22-2012, 09:01 AM
It's certainly not a bad idea to pick up about a dozen spares... They get lost easily too! :shocked:
I just use the edge of my knife blade to pop them up into the air. It's a bit thinner than a small screwdriver and can get under them a bit easier. :thumbup:

Farmboy
07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Here ya go.

SpydeRider2010
07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I use a small pocket screwdriver, with about a 1/4 inch tip, and then just pull the pushpin out with my fingers. seems to work well for me...

donnellpj
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
In a previous life I did 12-volt car audio installs for a living.

One of the best tools in my box is a Snap-On panel popper. I use it for a multitude of things, but popping out these plastic pop rivets are right in the wheelhouse.

It has a nice smooth machined notch that will not damage your plastics, but still allow you to get in and git some. :rolleyes:

MarkLawson
07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Remove the center piece then remove the outer piece. Both will pry up and out easily. You'll need a small flat blade, like a screwdriver to get under the edge of each. You may choose to use pliers.

SteveMac
07-22-2012, 01:16 PM

One of the best tools in my box is a Snap-On panel popper. I use it for a multitude of things, but popping out these plastic pop rivets are right in the wheelhouse.

It has a nice smooth machined notch that will not damage your plastics, but still allow you to get in and git some. :rolleyes:

Yep. This is what I have also and it works very well. But I have to admit that I love Farmboy's modded pliers and I have a cheap set that I plan to do this to. A great idea that I am going to shamelessly steal!

Kmort44
07-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Yep. This is what I have also and it works very well. But I have to admit that I love Farmboy's modded pliers and I have a cheap set that I plan to do this to. A great idea that I am going to shamelessly steal!

Hee Hee Hee, me too! I think I'll go find a pair and try this.

Thanks Farmboy:bowdown:

Questions
07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I was surprised to find that they are not spring clips at all. No wonder I could not remove the clip that isn't there!

And your right,it certainly is easy to loose one of the damn things!

dancogan
07-23-2012, 07:58 AM

So, if you're not a professional mechanic, how do you go about buying Snap-On products? I see their trucks around but I've never seen there stuff sold in a retail outlet.

CyncySpyder
07-23-2012, 08:16 AM
They are very resilient and will not break even after many removals.:thumbup:

All the plastic rivets except one, that hold the honey-comb grill on the left side by the oil change panel on Teds Red Sled have crumbled into pieces, and thats with just two removals in 15 months. My guess on this is, they don't like freezing temps nor salt, which makes sense. All the others that are inside and protected have been holding up pretty well, but just be warned about the ones that are exposed to the elements if year round ryding;)

DR Buck
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
I found snap ring pliers with 90º end on them work very well. They do not mar or tear up the top of the stud and the studs don't go flying across the room like they do when you use a screw driver.

Kmort44
07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
So, if you're not a professional mechanic, how do you go about buying Snap-On products? I see their trucks around but I've never seen there stuff sold in a retail outlet.

Hi Dan,

How have you been, good I hope.
Try this tool for removing those plastic rivets, I have one it works pretty good with practice

Take care, Ryde on,

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35260-Plastic-Fastener-Remover/dp/B0002SRCMO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343092030&sr=8-1-spell&ke

GA-SPYDER
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Don't have to be Snap-on. I got the same thing at Advance Auto Parts. Their brand. Got them home and filed down the front lip to get under them easier. Work perfect, especially on the ones that hard to get to.:thumbup:

pickelhead
08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I took a every day pair of pliers and put in vice, take a hacksaw and cut a groove reel close to the end of each jaw. works great. i will try and get a pic. and post. give me 10 min.

What did you use to cut the groove in the pliers with? How much are you selling them for?

Bob Denman
08-06-2012, 07:06 AM
:agree: Maybe he'll go into production... :thumbup: