PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Bypass

DR Buck
07-19-2012, 05:17 PM
OK, I'm not looking for a lecture on the environmental benefits of a catalytic converter. :lecturef_smilie: Here in VA catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to shed some of the obscene heat that radiates from the Spyder. So the question is, other than the few that have posted having made their own bypass pipes, is anyone manufacturing after market bypasses for the RT? I was thinking of just pulling the cat converter and taking it to an exhaust shop and have them build me a drop-in replacement bypass.

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
If you do that.... Could you please post some diagrams and measurements of what gets built??

flybuddy
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
If you do that.... Could you please post some diagrams and measurements of what gets built??

Better yet, have some extra y pipes made and we'll buy them from you at a reasonable profit.

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 06:25 AM
:2thumbs:

Schultzi
07-20-2012, 06:48 AM
OK, I'm not looking for a lecture on the environmental benefits of a catalytic converter. :lecturef_smilie: Here in VA catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to shed some of the obscene heat that radiates from the Spyder. So the question is, other than the few that have posted having made their own bypass pipes, is anyone manufacturing after market bypasses for the RT? I was thinking of just pulling the cat converter and taking it to an exhaust shop and have them build me a drop-in replacement bypass.

If you do that, make sure you get you some new gasketts for the down pipes. they're hard to get out and you're not able to reuse them. I build a kit for my RT and is working fine. Trying to build a kit for aftermarket use. Doing some testing to see what kind of improvments i'm gonna get out of it, before putting it on the website. (www.spyder1attitude.com (http://www.spyder1attitude.com))
What kinda muffler you'll be using? Gonna be much louder then stock.
Are you coming to Lamont's BBQ? I'll be there and you can see my mod and listen to it.

fireplug98
07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Better yet, have some extra y pipes made and we'll buy them from you at a reasonable profit.

Count me in too !!!! :2thumbs:

warp10
07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Same here :pray:

yamahog
07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I have been wondering about this too, anyone know if engine will have to be re-tuned? :chat:

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Maybe Schultzi can answer this one...

Firefly
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
If you do that, make sure you get you some new gasketts for the down pipes. they're hard to get out and you're not able to reuse them. I build a kit for my RT and is working fine. Trying to build a kit for aftermarket use. Doing some testing to see what kind of improvments i'm gonna get out of it, before putting it on the website. (www.spyder1attitude.com (http://www.spyder1attitude.com))
Are you coming to Lamont's BBQ? I'll be there and you can see my mod and listen to it.

So you're saying even running the stock exhaust and bypassing the CC it would be considerably louder?

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Well the converter has to have some noise-cancelling effect; it's in the mainstream of the exhaust...
I'm curious as to just how much of a difference it makes.

Jeriatric
07-20-2012, 01:39 PM

You must have missed the when to ride lecture?

Don't you know we're supposed to park our Spyders and only ride them in the cool of the morning or evening?

DR Buck
07-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Maybe I'll just wait for your kit. :) What's your target date for hitting the market? I hadn't considered changing the muffler. I kind of like the looks of the stock muffler. It goes well with the RT style.

If I do go to have one built, it will be during the winter when the Spyder will be garaged, so if someone else hit the market with one, I'm all for it.

Firefly
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Well the converter has to have some noise-cancelling effect; it's in the mainstream of the exhaust...
I'm curious as to just how much of a difference it makes.

Back in the day.... we use to just hollow them out on cars and re-install.....;)

dgnspyder
07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
So you're saying even running the stock exhaust and bypassing the CC it would be considerably louder?

I have removed the Cat from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud, it's deeper and throatier. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. I have also put the chrome front and rear on the muffler and it looks awesome. I am not going to fit an aftermarket slip on as I have a nice sound, great looks and improved performance with what I have done.

DR Buck
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I have removed the Cat from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud, it's deeper and throatier. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. I have also put the chrome front and rear on the muffler and it looks awesome. I am not going to fit an aftermarket slip on as I have a nice sound, great looks and improved performance with what I have done.

What was the cost of having the pipes made? Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
The catalytic converter probably does more to quiet the exhaust than the muffler does......Mike....:yikes:

Bob Denman
07-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?

:agree: Does it appear that the bike is running leaner?

dgnspyder
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
What was the cost of having the pipes made? Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?

The cost to have the stainless pipe made was $617 (NZ dollars). I did not need new gaskets but my bike had only done 1500kms. At the time some people on this forum expressed the view that it may need a power commander fitted. I feel that it doesn't need it, but that is not to say that it may improve the performance some more with one fitted. I simply don't know as I haven't tried one. My dealer is pretty experienced with Spyders and he made the comment that the electronics on the Spyder are very sophisticated and that the ECU will adjust for about 20% variance in fuel and air. It would take significant engine mods to step outside of that. His comments not mine. I think he is right as my bike does not seem to be leaning out. I did do the ECU reset procedure. I also replaced the air cleaner element with a Green high performance filter. The engine note changed with that alone, started to breathe much better. That is it for my engine mods for now. Cat gone and high flow air cleaner has made a big difference, I am very happy. If you get a Y pipe made my suggestion is that you go to a custom shop that are used to doing this kind of fabrication. It is not nessarily a job for an ordinary service type mechanic. My Can Am dealer builds custom bikes and the guys in there are real craftsmen. Also the CO2 sensor on the RT is before the Y pipe so that is not an issue. I hope this helps.

dgnspyder
07-26-2012, 05:46 PM
:agree: Does it appear that the bike is running leaner?

See reply to Dr Buck. Cheers

boborgera
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I removed mine [08] The caveman way ;Reamed it out with a long Bit on a extension, Not recommended for the weak of heart.:D No other modification needed or done. Total cost Zero, But a miscalculation would have meant a new muffler:gaah:

ryedoggracing
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
You build it i will buy it. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2012, 09:55 AM
See reply to Dr Buck. Cheers

I saw that; Thanks!! :thumbup:

Schultzi
07-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Firefly,
I don't know the sound level with the stock muffler, I build the kit to fit my after market pipes.
It will sound more like a RS with the stock muffler removed and replaced with aftermarket pipe like the TB Dual.
You also can add a silencer or baffle into the pipe to quiet down a notch.

Schultzi
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Maybe I'll just wait for your kit. :) What's your target date for hitting the market? I hadn't considered changing the muffler. I kind of like the looks of the stock muffler. It goes well with the RT style.

If I do go to have one built, it will be during the winter when the Spyder will be garaged, so if someone else hit the market with one, I'm all for it.

DR Buck,
I'm still in the testing phase, wanna make sure everything is well before putting it on the market.
The kit i have on mine sounds just like an RS with one of my pipes on it.
So far i can report, the range on my last fillup was 185 miles with one bar to spare. Light didnt came on yet.
That was cruising through the mountains, about 40 miles on the interstate and city driving.
I'll be at Lamonts BBQ and i will have the kit on mine, so if you're able to make it there you can see for your self.

Tierhog
07-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Forgive the ignorance, I thought the cat was IN the muffler in the first portion after the 90. Isn't the muffler the same for RS/RT? I thought ecu adaptation was a wives tale promoted by a hindle break in procedure? Learning here guys, don't flame me.

Oh and the RS has a 80db EPA stamp on the inner portion by bike frame. My HMF is 95 db at idle, over 105 at rev.

NancysToy
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Forgive the ignorance, I thought the cat was IN the muffler in the first portion after the 90. Isn't the muffler the same for RS/RT? I thought ecu adaptation was a wives tale promoted by a hindle break in procedure? Learning here guys, don't flame me.

Oh and the RS has a 80db EPA stamp on the inner portion by bike frame. My HMF is 95 db at idle, over 105 at rev.
The mufflers are different. The RS has the cat inside the muffler. The RT has a separate cat.

fireplug98
07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
DR Buck,
I'm still in the testing phase, wanna make sure everything is well before putting it on the market.
The kit i have on mine sounds just like an RS with one of my pipes on it.
So far i can report, the range on my last fillup was 185 miles with one bar to spare. Light didnt came on yet.
That was cruising through the mountains, about 40 miles on the interstate and city driving.
I'll be at Lamonts BBQ and i will have the kit on mine, so if you're able to make it there you can see for your self.

Hey All !!!

As said before, I'm in !!!! :2thumbs:
I for one would love to get rid of my cat.....

sinkhole
07-27-2012, 03:00 PM

btw, when is the BBQ?

Schultzi
07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
btw, when is the BBQ?

I think it is Sep. 6-8

medicineman48
09-17-2012, 11:19 PM
A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129. Just pulled a trailer for 868 miles and averaged 32 miles per gallon. Passenger was very happy at the lack of heat burning her feet. No tune up required. This is one of the best, if not best, change made to the spyder

BlueLine
09-18-2012, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=medicineman48;516460]A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129.]

Can or will they make this to be shipped or must they fit it there, very interested in doing the same on my RT

flybuddy
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=medicineman48;516460]A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129.]

Can or will they make this to be shipped or must they fit it there, very interested in doing the same on my RT

Ditto here, i'd pay more than that just for the pipe.

bluestratos
09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
How much louder is the RT with no cat?

Schultzi
09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
REDUCE THE HEAT AT YOUR FEET!

RT Cat-Bypass is now available at
www.spyder1attitude.com (http://www.spyder1attitude.com)

flybuddy
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
REDUCE THE HEAT AT YOUR FEET!

RT Cat-Bypass is now available at
www.spyder1attitude.com (http://www.spyder1attitude.com)

Is it made of gold or platinum?

Frenchy
09-21-2012, 05:07 AM

Now that's funny!!! At $849 I thought the same thing......lol

PAPA G
09-21-2012, 06:05 AM
​I THINK ITS good now

Schnauzer
09-21-2012, 06:50 AM
:chat:. Survey says. for few more dollars, should be able to guarantee "No Popping". IMHO, anytime to allow the flow of hot-air to accumulate in any restrictive manner...aka..2into1, you will have heat accumulation. I didnot see a photo, in the link to the site. I'm sure that the piping is created to decrease the restrictive flow. Surely would like to see a photo.:shocked:.

flybuddy
09-21-2012, 08:59 AM
:chat:. Survey says. for few more dollars, should be able to guarantee "No Popping". IMHO, anytime to allow the flow of hot-air to accumulate in any restrictive manner...aka..2into1, you will have heat accumulation. I didnot see a photo, in the link to the site. I'm sure that the piping is created to decrease the restrictive flow. Surely would like to see a photo.:shocked:.

Cats are made to create substantial heat in order to better oxidize the exhaust gasses. The closer the cat is to the cylinder, the better it will function. Difficult to set up on a motorcycle and it's probably why ours are so large because of where it's mounted. Had they wrapped the exhaust, it probably could have been a smaller unit and still passed Leftyfornia requirements. The extra gas burned with the increased weight and restriction negates a good portion of the cats environmental benefit in our case. The replacement needs to be nothing more than a Y-pipe to connect the 2 cylinder exhaust pipes to the existing muffler. Surprisingly, there actually is platinum in most cat converters and sometimes even gold. Not sure why they priced it so high. I was really wanting this and jumped right over to their site to order it figuring it would be two to three hundred bucks. Guess it's a small market and you have to recover your R&D. Hopefully as the number of RTs increase and someone else jumps on the bandwagon, the price will decrease.

DR Buck
09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Cats are made to create substantial heat in order to better oxidize the exhaust gasses. The closer the cat is to the cylinder, the better it will function. Difficult to set up on a motorcycle and it's probably why ours are so large because of where it's mounted. Had they wrapped the exhaust, it probably could have been a smaller unit and still passed Leftyfornia requirements. The extra gas burned with the increased weight and restriction negates a good portion of the cats environmental benefit in our case. The replacement needs to be nothing more than a Y-pipe to connect the 2 cylinder exhaust pipes to the existing muffler. Surprisingly, there actually is platinum in most cat converters and sometimes even gold. Not sure why they priced it so high. I was really wanting this and jumped right over to their site to order it figuring it would be two to three hundred bucks. Guess it's a small market and you have to recover your R&D. Hopefully as the number of RTs increase and someone else jumps on the bandwagon, the price will decrease.

Considering there is a post where someone had one made at a local shop for $129, the price, even with ceramic coating is way beyond what I will pay. I would have jumped on an order if it was $300 or less. But as it stands now, this winter I'm heading to the local shop and have one made using "stainless steel".

SpyderFun
09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Now that's funny!!! At $849 I thought the same thing......lol

Maybe it takes into consideration the gas, food & lodging for a round trip to Greer, SC & the accompanying labor to have it "professionally installed"? :dontknow:
But on the positive side - maybe the coffee & doughnuts are free while you wait! :roflblack:

Sorry Schultzi but at $850 + tax & shipping I will gladly pass on this mod..... Seriously though, WHY so expensive!?????

Schultzi
09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Guy’s,
I can understand your concern about the price, but there is a little more involved to get a product ready for production as to go to your local muffler shop and let someone try to fit a piece of pipe in place of the CAT.
If it would be that easy to replace the CAT with some pipes, I'm sure a lot of you would have done it already or some other company would come out with a similar product.
The R&D involved to make it a bolt on application coming with all the hardware and gaskets is quite substantial.
Also making it an application and Not having to buy additional fuel management equipment was the goal.
As you know, the Spyder is not an easy piece of equipment to work on and to make sure the computer not putting any error codes out is a priority.
Additional perks are free shipping and handling and taxes included in the price to make it a flat fee price.

Spyder1Attitude is a very small business and quite young as well.
We try to offer great products, easy installation without special mechanical skills required and reasonable priced.

So, I ask you guy’s – what would be a reasonable price for this kit?

Be fair!

Thanks for your input and comments

kinggeek
09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
I might pay $200 but beyond that I could not justify it.

Deputy56
09-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with DR Buck, around the $300-$350 Range:)

flybuddy
09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
On the high end, I would pay $499.

quickster47
09-21-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm thinking that $449 would be a fair price.

Carl

SpyderFun
09-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Let us be honest....according to Google an actual catalytic converter for most cars & trucks ranges from $100 - $250. Paying more then that for what is in essence a Y-pipe cat-bypass is hard to swallow especially in these tough economic times. Again, this is a cat-bypass designed to eliminate the cat itself.

I do recognize and applaud you in your endeavor but it MUST also be priced to move from your shop to the end use customer (Spyder Owner). True you are not likely to have the "volume" as an auto or truck shop would but your price needs to be comparable without a customer suffering sticker shock!

NancysToy
09-21-2012, 09:44 PM
The Y-pipe with cat converter is a complex piece on the Spyder, so I can understand the cost for a somewhat less complex replacement. The MSRP in the OEM part is $782.49 USD, so I don't think the market will support an even higher cost for a straight-thru replacement...especially in aluminized steel rather than stainless. When even the OEM muffler, and all the aftermarket units I have seen, are priced lower still, it is difficult to justify nearly a grand for a "pipe". I hope for your sake I am wrong, I know how hard you have worked on this, and what is involved. It is a hard sell, though.

BlueLine
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Let us be honest....according to Google an actual catalytic converter for most cars & trucks ranges from $100 - $250. Paying more then that for what is in essence a Y-pipe cat-bypass is hard to swallow especially in these tough economic times. Again, this is a cat-bypass designed to eliminate the cat itself.

I do recognize and applaud you in your endeavor but it MUST also be priced to move from your shop to the end use customer (Spyder Owner). True you are not likely to have the "volume" as an auto or truck shop would but your price needs to be comparable without a customer suffering sticker shock!

Guess I'll try the exhaust fabricators in Trade-A-Plane to see if we can find a more comfortable price alternative.:yikes:

Schnauzer
09-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Looks like this winter, sales will be up on coffee,donuts,beer or whatever the beverage of choice is at the local muffler shop. I wish you luck on compromising a price that your fans will accept. Just went through this with my boss on a seat we created for a stretched out custom HD. When it was all said and done we had $1500.00 in time & material in creating this seat. Now that the jig is made he thinks he'll cut a fat hog in the ass. I told him you can't carry that number to every seat you make.. Bottom line.... It's worth about $185.00 even though the gentleman has 50k tied up in customization & paint on this ride.} Not to mention he's richer than 3' up a bull's butt { No disrespect, but I feel a lot of merchants put their value rated at the price of the vehicle it services. Jusi an honest oppinion from a part-time fabricator/merchant on this end.

flybuddy
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Noticed that the price has been pulled down from the website..Maybe there's some hope for this kit.

TuckMiddle
09-24-2012, 07:43 PM

So, I must have missed what your decision was. I'm interested in doing this and there are a lot of variables, which I'm sure have been covered here. I'd be tempted to remove the CAT and see if some brave sole with a torch would just cut a hole in it and pour the stuff out. I don't even know if it's then possible to reweld it together with a patch or just forget that and make an elbow or what ever it needs and put the converter in a box, unless it is toxic. I have two friends who own muffler shops, guess I should check with them too.

Or, possibly the best idea is to forget this idea and watch the Green Bay/Seattle game. I don't even know how to spell procrastinator, but I think I'm becoming one!!

Interested in what you did.

Tuck

flybuddy
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
So, I must have missed what your decision was. I'm interested in doing this and there are a lot of variables, which I'm sure have been covered here. I'd be tempted to remove the CAT and see if some brave sole with a torch would just cut a hole in it and pour the stuff out. I don't even know if it's then possible to reweld it together with a patch or just forget that and make an elbow or what ever it needs and put the converter in a box, unless it is toxic. I have two friends who own muffler shops, guess I should check with them too.

Or, possibly the best idea is to forget this idea and watch the Green Bay/Seattle game. I don't even know how to spell procrastinator, but I think I'm becoming one!!

Interested in what you did.

Tuck

Trying to gut this type of converter with 90 degree pipes in and out would be difficult to say the least. You also are destroying a $750 part that the next owner may very well want or even need depending on their state. The muffler shop angle is workable but can be tricky. Many muffler shops will turn you away instantly when they hear you're wanting to remove a cat. Given their liability with strict laws on cars, they don't care that it's a motorcycle and not needed in your state, they simply don't want to take any risk even if it's only perceived.
You might be more successful with a muffler shop if you removed the cat yourself and either brought the Spyder in minus cat for them to make a pipe or brought the cat in to use as a template for making the pipe. I'm going to try this with a local muffler shop next week when I have some time off. Of course it would be a heck of a lot easier if there was a bypass kit available at a reasonable price.

spyder stryder
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129. Just pulled a trailer for 868 miles and averaged 32 miles per gallon. Passenger was very happy at the lack of heat burning her feet. No tune up required. This is one of the best, if not best, change made to the spyder

Guys, this is a fair price for removing the cat,making the y pipe & installing it.
Some muffler shops may want you to pull the cat then charge less for the
rest of the job. In the past the shops could get by with the change over by
calling the pipe a test kit. Testing for proper tuneing & performance. Have the pipe made & keep
the cat in case you need to reinstall it before going to the dealer with a problem.
Without it on the spyder you could have a problem .Removing the insides could also
cause a problem.Some of these aftermart people think they have to ream you out so
you will be happy. Just ask if they will supply the butt paste along with some of these
products.

spyder stryder

TuckMiddle
09-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Guys, this is a fair price for removing the cat,making the y pipe & installing it.
Some muffler shops may want you to pull the cat then charge less for the
rest of the job. In the past the shops could get by with the change over by
calling the pipe a test kit. Testing for proper tuneing & performance. Have the pipe made & keep
the cat in case you need to reinstall it before going to the dealer with a problem.
Without it on the spyder you could have a problem .Removing the insides could also
cause a problem.Some of these aftermart people think they have to ream you out so
you will be happy. Just ask if they will supply the butt paste along with some of these
products.

spyder stryder

I'm going to run by a muffler place owned by a friend and GoldWing rider. I'll see what Harold has to say. Good point about saving the whole CAT unit.
:bowdown:
Tuck

jmstiffany
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Can you send pics?

flybuddy
09-28-2012, 11:27 AM
FYI---they are back up for sale on spyder1attitude website for $450.

Schnauzer
10-05-2012, 10:24 PM
FYI---they are back up for sale on spyder1attitude website for $450.

Cut it in half one more time and R/D will be paid in no time, and the profit will begin.

kinggeek
10-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Cut it in half one more time and R/D will be paid in no time, and the profit will begin.

:agree: still too high for a pipe. Still waiting .....

Dragonrider
10-06-2012, 08:04 AM
It's now the same price as the muffler.... I'm happy it's available.

DR Buck
10-06-2012, 05:34 PM
It's now the same price as the muffler.... I'm happy it's available.

My thought as well. It's still high but comparable with other bike exhaust components. I guess if you want to play with big toys, you better have a big piggy bank. :rolleyes:

flybuddy
10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
FYI, I installed this today. The pipe is a bit more complex than than I expected as it needed to match up exactly to the cat lead and downpipes as well as hangers, contours and flares. Overall, a good job by Spyder1 as it has to fit exactly and did. The install instructions are fairly simplistic and are available on their website. I had some issues on my install which slowed me down some. One of the muffler bolts stripped and I had to cut the bolt and replace. I did not notice that the kit with the reduced price is solely the exhaust component and didn't include the gasket seals. I was able to reuse mine but spent quite a bit of time gingerly removing them so they could be re-used. If you're thinking about this--get the new gaskets, it's not worth the hassle. In place of the rod type hangers on the cat there are threaded rods welded on. The rods are too fat and rubber grommets and hanger need to be drilled out quite a bit for them to fit. Overall, a good thing and works as advertised. I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.

DR Buck
10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
FYI, I installed this today. The pipe is a bit more complex than than I expected as it needed to match up exactly to the cat lead and downpipes as well as hangers, contours and flares. Overall, a good job by Spyder1 as it has to fit exactly and did. The install instructions are fairly simplistic and are available on their website. I had some issues on my install which slowed me down some. One of the muffler bolts stripped and I had to cut the bolt and replace. I did not notice that the kit with the reduced price is solely the exhaust component and didn't include the gasket seals. I was able to reuse mine but spent quite a bit of time gingerly removing them so they could be re-used. If you're thinking about this--get the new gaskets, it's not worth the hassle. In place of the rod type hangers on the cat there are threaded rods welded on. The rods are too fat and rubber grommets and hanger need to be drilled out quite a bit for them to fit. Overall, a good thing and works as advertised. I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.

I received mine today and started the install but didn't complete it because of the presidential debate. I ordered the gaskets with mine. I was surprised there were no instructions in the box and never thought of looking on their website. I just winged it. Mine does not have threaded rods for hangers and they fit the rubber hanger gaskets perfectly. Everything lines up perfectly. I made audio recordings before removing the cat converter and will make more after the install is completed and post them. I hope to finish the install tomorrow night but it will be late as I have a very long day at the office and won't get home before 8 PM.

Schnauzer
10-17-2012, 06:25 AM
I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.

Are you running the stock muffler.

flybuddy
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Yes

DR Buck
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
flybuddy

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Schnauzer http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=530988#post530988)

Yes

Me too.

DR Buck
10-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Finished installing the bypass tonight. Had one heck of a time getting the rear hanger rubber bushing back on, but a little lifting on the back of the new y-pipe with a floor jack pushed it up hight enough to slip it on. I don't have any thing to measure audio level with but is is slightly louder and produces a deeper tone out of the muffler. Movie files (with audio) are very large and will not upload. I'll have to work on them.

Here is what the new bypass looks like:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55806&d=1350529968

Schnauzer
10-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Wow, simple just alot of off=on getting the bends just right. Now I see potential for duals on the RT.."ole-skool :doorag:fishtails.

Dragonrider
10-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, my bipass still hasn't arrived… waited for weeks to get the gaskets!!!

When it finally gets here, I will couple my new Yosh R77 to it. Can't wait!!!

Deputy56
10-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Got my cat by-pass and y77 today. looks like Saturday will be busy.

flybuddy
10-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I put 700 miles on the catless RT in the past 5 days (went to Daytona)..I'm not really seeing any change in fuel mileage and, oddly, it seems to want premium gas only now. When I use mid grade, the rpm will surge when I get above 60, does not happen if I use premium..Tested it twice, both ways. Since I've got a K&N up front and more free flow at the back end, I'm assuming that the ECM is thinking it's lean thereby increasing mixture and advancing timing. Anyone have any other thoughts as to why it's doing this? Anyone else who did this mod having same issue?

DR Buck
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I put 700 miles on the catless RT in the past 5 days (went to Daytona)..I'm not really seeing any change in fuel mileage and, oddly, it seems to want premium gas only now. When I use mid grade, the rpm will surge when I get above 60, does not happen if I use premium..Tested it twice, both ways. Since I've got a K&N up front and more free flow at the back end, I'm assuming that the ECM is thinking it's lean thereby increasing mixture and advancing timing. Anyone have any other thoughts as to why it's doing this? Anyone else who did this mod having same issue?

I've put about 250 miles on mine since installing. The stock muffler is definately louder and deeper in tone. I do not have any real hard data yet as to improvements in mileage. This past weekends ride on the Skyline Drive was almost all done in 3rd and 4th gear at low RPMs so even though it calculated to over 30 mpg, I need to get more "at speed" miles on it to figure out the real number. I've always used premimum gas, so I won't see any issues there.

It will be a while til I get around to changing out the airbox so any changes/improvemnets caused by that are still unknown.

Dragonrider
10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Here the vid of my Yosh with the bypass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEhwkxx21g&list=HL1350945892&feature=mh_lolz

Spy+
10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
It sounds greeeeeat!:thumbup:

Deputy56
10-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Finished converter bypass this weekend. Installed yosh77. Rode about 25 miles after install, RT computer adjusted OK. Runs great with a lot less heat. Some pretty loud popping at first when shifting, that settled down as the fuel tables adjusted.