PDA

View Full Version : GA Spyder Riders leadership

sewnonnie
07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I have read several posts recently that mention that there is no leadership in GA for our Spyder Riders and no group. I think the volunteers that have donated hours of their time have done what the members voted for. Our members wanted an "organized, but casual" group. The volunteers have coordinated meetings, researched and designed logos, tshirts, set up a group ride to SpyderFest, set up and maintained a web site and researched liabilites and other issues.

As far as Keith and I are concerned, anyone that wants to take on the group leadership is welcome to do so. We had other obligations May - July and have not been able to set up the quarterly meeting. Keith posted in April to have another member spearhead this and one member was able to have a great plan for Savannah, but there didnt seem to be enough interest. It may have been the timing with holidays, school activities, vacations, SpyderFest and the Owners Event, but is sounded like a great idea. (Thank you Daisy Joe).

The heat right now is enough to keep me off my Spyder most of the time, but I will start planning the next meeting for August (September has Lamont's BarBQ and we are also hoping more Spyders will show up for the Walton EMC Breast Cancer Ride, also in September). We will be happy to let anyone else to take over the leadership of the group. The August meeting will be a great time to vote on that issue.

Cavman
07-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I have my 40th HS reunion on August 10-11. Other than that, I'm pretty much free for a meeting or Ryde in August.

I'll be attending Lamont's BBQ in September and the Venom In Vandiver the last weekend in September in Alabama. Lamont has been invited to that event. Hope a large group from GA will be there? :pray:

I was hoping that the Savannah thing was going to happen. Daisy Joe had some good ideas.

There was great turn out on the ride down to the ISCI tour and bike ride to Courtyard 25 back in June, despite the rain. The Charity Pig Roast had a good turn out of Spyder owner's
this past Sunday over in Gadsden, AL. Why is it I keep going to AL to ride with Spyder owner's? We need to get something going here. I will be meeting a couple of folks for a ride in Canton, GA tomorrow morning. It's a start. :thumbup:

Hawk
07-20-2012, 07:41 AM
We have been dealing with some things on our end, so I have not been on here as much either. I posted a ride a while back to try to get some people together to go on a ride and no one was interested. Maybe it was the timing or something, but there have been several things that people have posted ideas on rides and/or get together's and I did not see any people get on board. So maybe the fact that we are "unorganized" is we need people to actually show up. Since day one, we have said this is not "our" group, its "yours". We need more people that are actually interested in getting together, and not just interested in the "idea" of getting together. Keith didn't ask to be the "leader", he just stepped up to help us get this off the ground. We have no official leadership because that is the way the original people that started the group wanted it, casual and laid back. I know Keith and Mel have contributed not only time, but money (in the way of making items, food, etc), as I have on the website, and others have in other ways. If anyone wants to get more organized, we can. It's up to you. The thing is.....we need YOU to do things as well if you want a successful group from GA. I have made some good friends from our group and hope to make many more. Hopefully it stops raining and cools off a bit so we can do something soon. If anyone has any ideas, please don't keep them to yourself, otherwise GA Spyder Riders will just fade away.

Yol Bolsun
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
My thanks to SWMBO(aka sewnonnie) and Hawk.

I have spent several days cogitating. (note that word is quite Curmudgeonly).

So, where we are at, as a leaderless club, "http://www.gaspyderriders.com/files/Georgia_Spider_Ryders_Sept_17_2011.pdf.

I have no qualifications to lead this sort of organization and furthermore have no desire to. I am still feathering the nest and attempting to pacify the golden goose. No GOLDEN Parachute in my future. So, not time enough, nor desire to 'lead' Georgia Spyder Riders.

IF there is someone willing to take the helm, they are more than welcome. Based on, IMHO, what were loose guidelines, I have only considered myself a coordinator or facilitator and will willing pass the reins to the next jester.

As the current Jester, I will point out that there will be a GA Spyder Riders meeting in August (Date to be determined). NEVER MIND THE HEAT. I will smoke a brisket and a butt (or two) and any/everyone is welcome to join us at Mountain Motorsports (http://www.mmsconyers.com/). This will be a Pot-Luck , w/more details to follow.

Hope not to far from Augusta or Athens or other non-central part of Georgia.

IF someone wants to host a meeting/ride then DO IT! Its like a Pot Luck. The when, where and who shows up is that makes it interesting.

Those who want a 'ride', schedule one, The when, where and who shows up is that makes it interesting.

JUST HAVE FUN AND RYDE YOUR SPYDERS...

MarkLawson
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Amen Brother!

Cavman
07-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Conyers is good. It's only that far on the map. ;) Would be a good ride. I'm good with it. Let's do it. :thumbup:

Pennyrick
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
My thanks to SWMBO(aka sewnonnie) and Hawk.

I have no qualifications to lead this sort of organization and furthermore have no desire to. I am still feathering the nest and attempting to pacify the golden goose. No GOLDEN Parachute in my future. So, not time enough, nor desire to 'lead' Georgia Spyder Riders.

IF there is someone willing to take the helm, they are more than welcome. Based on, IMHO, what were loose guidelines, I have only considered myself a coordinator or facilitator and will willing pass the reins to the next jester.

As the current Jester, I will point out that there will be a GA Spyder Riders meeting in August (Date to be determined). NEVER MIND THE HEAT. I will smoke a brisket and a butt (or two) and any/everyone is welcome to join us at Mountain Motorsports (http://www.mmsconyers.com/). This will be a Pot-Luck , w/more details to follow.

IF someone wants to host a meeting/ride then DO IT! Its like a Pot Luck. The when, where and who shows up is that makes it interesting.

Those who want a 'ride', schedule one, The when, where and who shows up is that makes it interesting.

JUST HAVE FUN AND RYDE YOUR SPYDERS...

Well put, Keith.

As you and I discussed back in 2010 when we were talking about how to organize a group interested in Spyders, 'lots of folks want to participate but few want to lead'. It takes a lot of time and energy, and, as a former member of GWRRA, I advised that you not allow yourself to fall in that kind of trap.

It's much more fun just to pick a destination, agree to meet at a time and place and leave it to the riders as to how they wish to pair up and travel to get there. The formality of club rules, dues and regulations (not to mention the legal liability hurdles), are just too problematic unless you have unlimited time and resources at your disposal.

Penny and I will put the Mountain Motorsport get together on our calendar when the date is set and you can count on us to bring some beverages and desserts.

Unfortunately is looks like the Monroe ride conflicts with other obligations for us.

Spyderbit65
07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
My husband and I have been looking for folks to ride with. I got my RSS in May and he got his RSS in Jun... We live in Duluth but love riding anywhere... Anyone want to meet up?