PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to steal Spyder

Yfactor
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
3 AM this morning there was anattempt to steal my son's 2010 RS. They tried to drag it
for loading but for some unknown reason I woke up and interrupted their attempt. Unfortunatly
they got away but without the Spyder. They drug it about 20' with the brake on and in gear which left
quite a trench in the yard. their getting away might have saved me from going to jail as I had every intent
to drop them for good. Now we are getting a lot more police presents through the area.

wyliec
07-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Glad you saved the spyder and you didn't get into a scuffle.:thumbup:

Firefly
07-19-2012, 11:32 AM
3 AM this morning there was anattempt to steal my son's 2010 RS. They tried to drag it
for loading but for some unknown reason I woke up and interrupted their attempt. Unfortunatly
they got away but without the Spyder. They drug it about 20' with the brake on and in gear which left
quite a trench in the yard. their getting away might have saved me from going to jail as I had every intent
to drop them for good. Now we are getting a lot more police presents through the area.

Glad they didn't get it.. also glad you didn't have interaction with them. It's a motorcycle with insurance... not worth harming yourself or someone else over.

ARtraveler
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Glad the outcome was good. The dummies probably would not have figured out how to start it if they had been successful in stealing it.

Yfactor
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Glad the outcome was good. The dummies probably would not have figured out how to start it if they had been successful in stealing it.

I agree since they didn't have the smarts or knowledge to release the parking brake or take it out of gear.

daveinva
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Sure it wasn't just vandalism, i.e. "Let's drag this bike around the yard and cause trouble?" :dontknow:

Reason being I just can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to steal a Spyder. You can't start it without the key, you can't service them anywhere but BRP dealers, and there ain't exactly a robust aftermarket for chopping these out.

Right now we've got the Spyder and a Vespa parked in our driveway. I park the Spyder and walk away. I lock the Vespa's handlebars, attach a grip lock, and chain lock the rear wheel to the neighbor's fence. I'm still more afraid of someone stealing the Vespa.

steve635
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Dave, you're right about it being a stupid target, but you're giving the criminals way too much credit regarding intelligence.

CyncySpyder
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Now lets hope these "Brainiacs" don't get on here to educate themselves about "how to" and try a repeat:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
:gaah: Don't it just drive you NUTZ when these :cus: think that they've got the right to take stuff that your family has worked hard for? :gaah:
Well... I'm glad that youdidn't end up in the back of a cruiser for catching them... :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Glad that you were able to run them off without getting into a conflict, we have to protect ourselves but sometime we are better off if we can do it without a confrontation. :congrats:

bruisersbaby
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Now lets hope these "Brainiacs" don't get on here to educate themselves about "how to" and try a repeat:lecturef_smilie:

I don't know that they would still know how to steal it, if they're dumb enough to try it the first time. Both of ours are in the garage, so less temptation. We don't have a lot of trouble around here, but don't want to tempt anyone either. Glad all ended well. :thumbup:

StanProff
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Starting instructions for non spyder owners.

push the brake pedel 16 times,
turn the handle bars right to left (left to right if your left handed) 4 times
Stand on the right side of the left front wheel
Reach across to the starter button with the left hand, may need to stretch a little.
Spyder should start, key not required

Remember: the A.S.S. rule
Always Steal Safely, never attempt to steal a spyder without your bullet proof vest, always ware a helmet and most of all,, remember how to spell 911 for medical emergencies.:shocked:

FutureRyder
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Reason being I just can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to steal a Spyder.

"People" post videos of criminal acts they commit on youtube, facebook and everywhere else, then can't understand how they got caught. There surely are people dumb enough to attempt this.

I recall the reports of burglary sprees in homes where the owners were on vacation. The connecting thread was that the owners posted online when and how long they were going on vacation.

I'm never surprised by the dumb things people do, when at another time I've have thought it unimaginable. Humanity moving forward?

daveinva
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Dave, you're right about it being a stupid target, but you're giving the criminals way too much credit regarding intelligence.

Heh, I know.

I'm generally more concerned about professional bike thieves. Those types typically don't go after targets of opportunity, they'll instead spot a bike parked somewhere and note it for future use, i.e. if they get a request in for a particular model they know where to get it. They're the types who do the research to know how to steal a specific model, bust locks, disconnect alarms, etc. And yes, some even go so far as to have ways to clone electronic key fobs.

Just last year my brother's HD Street Glide, a beautiful bike with tons of chrome/aftermarket stuff galore, was recently stolen out of his condo building's parking garage in L.A. A luxury high-rise, "guarded" 24/7, and somebody got the bike into the back of a van and drove right on out, no questions asked. The reasonable assumption is the thieves paid the parking garage attendant money to look the other way, and unfortunately, my brother's bike was parked in a spot that was completely out of sight of security cameras. Poof, gone like that.

Now, the bike couldn't be ridden-- electronic key fob and all-- but everybody knows you can part out a Harley faster than I can type this post.

Thankfully, the Spyder's quirks help make it unnattractive (so far) to professional thieves. You can't ride it away to steal or joyride, it's too big for people to pick up and toss into a pickup bed or van, and the aftermarket isn't there to part it out. If the Spyder keeps increasing in popularity it'll be interesting if the thieves get more interested or not.

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Starting instructions for non spyder owners.

push the brake pedel 16 times,
turn the handle bars right to left (left to right if your left handed) 4 times
Stand on the right side of the left front wheel
Reach across to the starter button with the left hand, may need to stretch a little.
Spyder should start, key not required

Remember: the A.S.S. rule
Always Steal Safely, never attempt to steal a spyder without your bullet proof vest, always ware a helmet and most of all,, remember how to spell 911 for medical emergencies.:shocked:

Always remember: Hope for the best; but prepare for the worst... :shocked: :roflblack:

WackyDan
07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately... Dropping them in your yard would have been criminal on your part - I say this as a gun owner and concealed carry holder myself... So I'm glad you scared them off.

For those who don't think there is much of a parts market... When what you steal is indeed free to you, then the parting out is gravy... There are many people on this board or ebay that want new panels, or spares even if used. Do not discount that.

Did they have a flatbed? Seems to be the common vehicle for stealing bikes.

MikeinGA
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I put alarm on my RS, it's worth the time and money.

Mike

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately... Dropping them in your yard would have been criminal on your part - I say this as a gun owner and concealed carry holder myself... So I'm glad you scared them off.

Had you parked them on the lawn, you would have had to explain to the LEOs that they had weapons with them and you felt threatened... you shot in self-defense!

Surgonamishr
07-19-2012, 01:20 PM

For those who don't think there is much of a parts market... When what you steal is indeed free to you, then the parting out is gravy... There are many people on this board or ebay that want new panels, or spares even if used. Do not discount that.

Did they have a flatbed? Seems to be the common vehicle for stealing bikes.

Here you have the right to protect yourself AND your property from such :cus: , Guess I'm just lucky there's a river behind my house full of gators and garr,, My sign on my storage reads "Did YOU call 911 before entering without an invitation?"

zrc
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
I live far enough out and make a habit of shooting in the "front yard" enough that no one would call the cops, then its just backhoe time.

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I really envy you guys...
If I so much as shoot ONE :cus: that desperately needs it; they'd throw me in jail and lose the key! :gaah:
Is all of Tennessee that smart, or just pockets of brilliance?
Sorry... Texas is just too darn hot for me; I can't sweat that fast anymore! :opps:

Firefly
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
I really envy you guys...
If I so much as shoot ONE :cus: that desperately needs it; they'd throw me in jail and lose the key! :gaah:
Is all of Tennessee that smart, or just pockets of brilliance?
Sorry... Texas is just too darn hot for me; I can't sweat that fast anymore! :opps:

And who are you to decide who 'needs' shooting and who doesn't?

C'mon.. really... for stealing something from your yard. Sure it isn't right for someone to do that... but shooting them for it?

ronrico
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Glad that the spider was not taken. I have Lo-Jack installed on my RT-L. It is not available in all states but if it is there it might be worth looking into. They guarantee to recover the vehicle within 24 hours.

Pappy John
07-19-2012, 02:21 PM

C'mon.. really... for stealing something from your yard. Sure it isn't right for someone to do that... but shooting them for it?
Yeah, just let them go, so they can do the same to 10 or 15 other people before they get nabbed. Then , of course, it'll be regarded as a first offense, so they'll get no jail time.

Vermin!

dancogan
07-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah, just let them go, so they can do the same to 10 or 15 other people before they get nabbed. Then , of course, it'll be regarded as a first offense, so they'll get no jail time.

Vermin!

Gotta agree with Firefly on this one. Stealing property from the yard is now a capital offense? Without a trial?

zrc
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM

The issue ultimately for me is that there are no reprocussions for people anymore, there is supposed jail time or whatever. And if its get stolen then I get to call and deal with the other thieves in my life (insurance people).

Basically because I am a somewhat moral person, that has convictions, and I obey most laws, I end up paying to keep insurance people in business, then douches and thieves and the dregs of society come and do this, I pay for court stuffs cause they sure dont pay. IF they get convicted, I pay to keep them in jail for some short time. I pay for whatever insurance doesnt pay for.

Basically in the end all I do is pay because I am not out doing what they are doing. And sadly, I would be much better at it than these idiots. Thieves attempted to take my Mustang 3 years go, did almost 6,000 worth of damage to it. Several hundred dollars of damage to the fences. And go away. Nothing ever came of it, and they were most likely meth heads (common thieves in my rural area). So they are doing society zero good. What happened, I paid my 500 buck deductable (retarded, nothing here was my fault). Lost 4 hours waiting for a cop to show up so I could just move the car and mess with it at all. Then I got to watch my insurance get increased for 3 years until I switched insurances.

So in the end, the result is always the same, I pay. So I guess after hundred leading into thousands of dollars over my lifetime of people stealing and taking from me when I have "insurance" to make it all better, which leads to me paying more, because I am arrogant enough to believe that I should get something from my insurance when the terms I have it FOR are breached. Then they basically screw me over because I actually asked them to pay me SOMETHING for all the crap I pay them.

So yea, sometimes when the sanctity of my home, items and life are continually violated, I consider shooting people and burying them with a backhoe. Perhaps they should stop, and consider getting a FREAKING JOB and just paying for :cus:

The sad part is that I know most of the people that do this :cus: and have reported them to the police who are the trained and awesome professionals to handle it. Yet, nothing ever happens and when I ask the police about the statistical chances of recovery or justice they basically laugh and inform me that it will show up in a pawn shop or on craigslist or in the paper and that the police dont have time to track it down, the report is being made to give to my insurance.

In the end, we all have different opinions on this matter, and I respect that some people are willing to just give everything away to keep yourself, your loved ones, and the thieves healthy happy and in business. I believe that doing so only leads those that are stealing further down the path to worse ends. Rarely are they stealing just to have your items or just to get something specific. They are usually stealing to then get drugs, or some other habit that is equally disturbing or worse. The first time they do it, they worry about getting caught, the second time they do it, they feel better and once the third time begins, it is then what they are doing for a living. At that point they are professionally breaking the law and violating the rights of others. Much like other habits and situations it will escalate without your intervention. Regardless of what you think that is the very essence and nature of the human condition. What I am confused about is that if they are willing to take from a person, or if they had a weapon and took from that person at threat of life, then threatening there life is no longer an acceptable option. In my mentality, treat others the way you wanna be treated, I dont threaten other people over items and consider killing them. If they threaten me with death, they obviously want me to do the same, because they are most likely golden rule people as well.

I am usually reminded of the situation with young Peter Parker in the original origin of Spiderman, where he lets a thief go free because it isnt his responsibility to help bring justice to the world, as such he promotes lawlessness and allows for this thief to then kill his uncle.

Its odd how things escalate sometimes.
rant over! *cheer*

ARtraveler
07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
This is turning into another gun rights thread. :lecturef_smilie:

zrc
07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
This is turning into another gun rights thread. :lecturef_smilie:

Ultimately its just a thread about the violation and taking of rights of some form or another. Some people are ok with that, and some people arent. If its helmets, guns, or just your stuff.

Arr MiHardies
07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
To me it's simple. You violate my rights, yours are forfeit. Though I might use a katana. Much quieter.

Firefly
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
By all means....kill away......kill em' all..... they're only humans... we have too many anyways.... and none of us have ever made mistakes in life..... and Spyders are hard to come by.....They're obviously worth far more than a human life.. probably like 10 (full grown humans).. well... 10 meth heads.. but probably only like 5 drunks or maybe 4 losers... and like 2 'good' people.

Maybe some land mines in the yard surrounding the Spyder? Yeah.. that's it!!! :thumbup:

I keep forgetting we still live in the wild wild west..... :roflblack:

Grandpa Spyder
07-19-2012, 04:18 PM
People will steal anything. My wife and I rode our Spyder to church on Sunday and after church we went to cracker barrel for breakfast and while we were in there someone stole my Spyder emblem off of my Frunk.:wrong:

arntufun
07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
By all means....kill away......kill em' all..... they're only humans... we have too many anyways.... and none of us have ever made mistakes in life..... and Spyders are hard to come by.....They're obviously worth far more than a human life.. probably like 10 (full grown humans).. well... 10 meth heads.. but probably only like 5 drunks or maybe 4 losers... and like 2 'good' people.

Maybe some land mines in the yard surrounding the Spyder? Yeah.. that's it!!! :thumbup:

Land mines will not give the criminal extreme pain like a few well placed bear traps would !!!!!!! :roflblack:

tobor9
07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Our RT is Lo-Jacked and it and my RS are garaged and the hole yard is watched by 12 CCTV cameras recorded and with off-premiss backup. We like in a very good area but I was raised in NY and taken no chances!

DR Buck
07-19-2012, 05:04 PM

Kind of like catch and release for rats. Like that will really work. I say shoot the :cus: ! At least put a few rounds into the tires on the getaway vehicle. Then the :cus: will have to leave on foot. And, if it's stolen too, it should at least be covered with finger prints.

mowin
07-19-2012, 05:07 PM

There not humans there low life scumbag THIEVES. My spyder is worth more that some a$$hats life tryin to steal it..

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I honestly, really, TRULY wanted to stay away from this bonfire... :opps:
:cus: em! I honestly feel that living harmoniously in our society with others contains an implied contract: You treat me in a fair and legal manner, and I'll do the same to you.
Once you violate your side of it; all bets are off!
Thanks Arr! You reminded me of it! :thumbup:

exwinger
07-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Have to jump in here .My son and I remodel houses and have a tidy sum wrapped up in tools . Usually we use a tool trailer and take it with us when we leave but we couldn't do this at our last house.Needless to say we were robbed and they took everything after kicking the door in. Really skilled thieves because they dumped all the tools out of their cases and left the cases.Decent neighborhood too.Cops came and sort of took a report and said there was a lot of thefts going on. Took a tour of area pawnshops and found some of our tools but owners threw us out , said if we had a problem to notify the cops.We did and were told that it would be a pain to prove the tools were stolen...EVEN THOUGH WE ENGRAVED NAMES and even if we did we may still have to buy the tools back. They said the insurance company had already accepted the claim and since we were being reimbursed to just drop it. Couldn't believe it. The day we found the breakin we did some looking around and found that they had unlocked one of the windows on the front , we think they were planning on coming back and getting our saw which we had chained down.Notified the cops about it and told them I was planning on staying in the house that night and taking care of the problem ourselves....I was informed that by doing that it could be considered ENTRAPMENT and I could end up being the one going to jail.I just looked at the cop and told him that at least the thief would no longer be doing anymore stealing. My wife prevailed and we took the saw out and locked the window. Pretty bad when you have to buy back your own stuff, pretty bad when cops won't push .Pawn dealers know what's going on and what they can get away with and cops don't pursue them.And they wonder why people steal ??? Thieves have more rights than the honest working person and know that even if they do get caught they'll more than likely get a slap on the wrist...There's incentive to being a thief.

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
...And that's the part of this that just screams, "Damn Shame! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_204v.gif

bruisersbaby
07-19-2012, 05:53 PM
ExWinger - "Thieves have more rights than the honest working person and know that even if they do get caught they'll more than likely get a slap on the wrist...There's incentive to being a thief." :agree:

Ron2andia
07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Crazy experience. Sorry to hear that happened but glad they failed.:ani29:

Bob Denman
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
ExWinger - "Thieves have more rights than the honest working person and know that even if they do get caught they'll more than likely get a slap on the wrist...There's incentive to being a thief." :agree:
So perhaps That's why the dis-incentive for thievery needs to come directly from law-abiding citizens who have had enough! :gaah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

R.T. Smith
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Are there a lot of attempts to steal our Spyders nationwide? Just wondering.

bruiser
07-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Last year at Maggie Valley someone had their Spyder stolen right off the trailer. Don't remember who it was. NC has the Castle Doctrin as well. This applies even if your at a resturant and you feel you or your families life is in danger. But ya know, we strayed from the original point of this thread. A few years back we had an almost new utility trailer stolen from our yard. I had put it behind the truck the night before as I was going to use it the next day to pick up a used golf cart for our special needs daughter. What got me so fired up was the fact that my neighbor had two trailers in his lot and they never bothered them.

Arthur---Mexico
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Sure it wasn't just vandalism, i.e. "Let's drag this bike around the yard and cause trouble?" :dontknow:

Reason being I just can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to steal a Spyder. You can't start it without the key, you can't service them anywhere but BRP dealers, and there ain't exactly a robust aftermarket for chopping these out.

Right now we've got the Spyder and a Vespa parked in our driveway. I park the Spyder and walk away. I lock the Vespa's handlebars, attach a grip lock, and chain lock the rear wheel to the neighbor's fence. I'm still more afraid of someone stealing the Vespa.

In Eurpe they just show up with a big van and 6 husky guys and load up the truck and drive away. If you chain it to something like a light post with a case hardend 3/8" chain your bike will be there in the morning.

Arthur---Mexico
07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Last year at Maggie Valley someone had their Spyder stolen right off the trailer. Don't remember who it was. NC has the Castle Doctrin as well. This applies even if your at a resturant and you feel you or your families life is in danger. But ya know, we strayed from the original point of this thread. A few years back we had an almost new utility trailer stolen from our yard. I had put it behind the truck the night before as I was going to use it the next day to pick up a used golf cart for our special needs daughter. What got me so fired up was the fact that my neighbor had two trailers in his lot and they never bothered them.

I'll bet your neighbor now has three trailers. Arthur----Mexico City.

bruiser
07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Nah, still has what he had then. Nobody steals anything from him. Of course, he does have cameras now and sensors in his driveway that set off a tone in his house, office and shop.

bruiser
07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh yeah, and between his arsenal and mine and the retired trooper down the street and the other 11 folks on this road with concealed carry permits...

Cal777
07-19-2012, 07:59 PM
The issue ultimately for me is that there are no reprocussions for people anymore, there is supposed jail time or whatever. And if its get stolen then I get to call and deal with the other thieves in my life (insurance people).

Basically because I am a somewhat moral person, that has convictions, and I obey most laws, I end up paying to keep insurance people in business, then douches and thieves and the dregs of society come and do this, I pay for court stuffs cause they sure dont pay. IF they get convicted, I pay to keep them in jail for some short time. I pay for whatever insurance doesnt pay for.

Basically in the end all I do is pay because I am not out doing what they are doing. And sadly, I would be much better at it than these idiots. Thieves attempted to take my Mustang 3 years go, did almost 6,000 worth of damage to it. Several hundred dollars of damage to the fences. And go away. Nothing ever came of it, and they were most likely meth heads (common thieves in my rural area). So they are doing society zero good. What happened, I paid my 500 buck deductable (retarded, nothing here was my fault). Lost 4 hours waiting for a cop to show up so I could just move the car and mess with it at all. Then I got to watch my insurance get increased for 3 years until I switched insurances.

So in the end, the result is always the same, I pay. So I guess after hundred leading into thousands of dollars over my lifetime of people stealing and taking from me when I have "insurance" to make it all better, which leads to me paying more, because I am arrogant enough to believe that I should get something from my insurance when the terms I have it FOR are breached. Then they basically screw me over because I actually asked them to pay me SOMETHING for all the crap I pay them.

So yea, sometimes when the sanctity of my home, items and life are continually violated, I consider shooting people and burying them with a backhoe. Perhaps they should stop, and consider getting a FREAKING JOB and just paying for :cus:

The sad part is that I know most of the people that do this :cus: and have reported them to the police who are the trained and awesome professionals to handle it. Yet, nothing ever happens and when I ask the police about the statistical chances of recovery or justice they basically laugh and inform me that it will show up in a pawn shop or on craigslist or in the paper and that the police dont have time to track it down, the report is being made to give to my insurance.

In the end, we all have different opinions on this matter, and I respect that some people are willing to just give everything away to keep yourself, your loved ones, and the thieves healthy happy and in business. I believe that doing so only leads those that are stealing further down the path to worse ends. Rarely are they stealing just to have your items or just to get something specific. They are usually stealing to then get drugs, or some other habit that is equally disturbing or worse. The first time they do it, they worry about getting caught, the second time they do it, they feel better and once the third time begins, it is then what they are doing for a living. At that point they are professionally breaking the law and violating the rights of others. Much like other habits and situations it will escalate without your intervention. Regardless of what you think that is the very essence and nature of the human condition. What I am confused about is that if they are willing to take from a person, or if they had a weapon and took from that person at threat of life, then threatening there life is no longer an acceptable option. In my mentality, treat others the way you wanna be treated, I dont threaten other people over items and consider killing them. If they threaten me with death, they obviously want me to do the same, because they are most likely golden rule people as well.

I am usually reminded of the situation with young Peter Parker in the original origin of Spiderman, where he lets a thief go free because it isnt his responsibility to help bring justice to the world, as such he promotes lawlessness and allows for this thief to then kill his uncle.

rant over! *cheer*

I agree with everything you said. Until the bleeding hearts come to the conclusion that people have to be responsible for the low life things they do, it won't get better.
Rudy

Huntindawg1962
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Burglary is equated to just making a "mistake?" :shocked:

And yes, NRA LIFETIME member.

Arr MiHardies
07-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Have to jump in here .My son and I remodel houses and have a tidy sum wrapped up in tools . Usually we use a tool trailer and take it with us when we leave but we couldn't do this at our last house.Needless to say we were robbed and they took everything after kicking the door in. Really skilled thieves because they dumped all the tools out of their cases and left the cases.Decent neighborhood too.Cops came and sort of took a report and said there was a lot of thefts going on. Took a tour of area pawnshops and found some of our tools but owners threw us out , said if we had a problem to notify the cops.We did and were told that it would be a pain to prove the tools were stolen...EVEN THOUGH WE ENGRAVED NAMES and even if we did we may still have to buy the tools back. They said the insurance company had already accepted the claim and since we were being reimbursed to just drop it. Couldn't believe it. The day we found the breakin we did some looking around and found that they had unlocked one of the windows on the front , we think they were planning on coming back and getting our saw which we had chained down.Notified the cops about it and told them I was planning on staying in the house that night and taking care of the problem ourselves....I was informed that by doing that it could be considered ENTRAPMENT and I could end up being the one going to jail.I just looked at the cop and told him that at least the thief would no longer be doing anymore stealing. My wife prevailed and we took the saw out and locked the window. Pretty bad when you have to buy back your own stuff, pretty bad when cops won't push .Pawn dealers know what's going on and what they can get away with and cops don't pursue them.And they wonder why people steal ??? Thieves have more rights than the honest working person and know that even if they do get caught they'll more than likely get a slap on the wrist...There's incentive to being a thief.

Having worked for a particularly famous pawn shop (you've probably seen it on tv. They have their own show) I can say that pawn shops are run by the same scum who hock stolen goods there.

bruisersbaby
07-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Having worked for a particularly famous pawn shop (you've probably seen it on tv. They have their own show) I can say that pawn shops are run by the same scum who hock stolen goods there.

I don't need three guesses! :rolleyes:

HICKORY
07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
There not humans there low life scumbag THIEVES. My spyder is worth more that some a$$hats life tryin to steal it..

Time to thin the herd! I beleive I would fell threatened if someone was on my property in the middle of the night. If you do not want to see the wrong end of a shotgun do not steal.

Kratos
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
What makes it hurt when your toy is stolen is if you spent a ton of time and energy into personal modifications. My latest project I'm working on has caused me to be in the garage for many hours a day in the past 2 weeks. I would hate to have to start it all over again...:sour:

Spyderjockey
07-19-2012, 10:03 PM

rant over! *cheer*

I agree with you completely!!!! I and my family have been screwed over by some of the trash of our society and then screwed over by the cops and courts who have always been looking out for the rights of the criminals and never our rights.....it's hard to believe if you have never been caught up in some criminal's actioins against you or your loved ones!!
I have been threatened by the police more than once to not even try to contact or question people that were involved when my son at the age of 14 was attacked and bruttaly beaten by up to 6 thugs and ended up with a broken jaw when one of them hit him from behind with a beer bottle. They threated to kill him and his 2 buddies that were camping out on a small lake. They burned their tent and fishing gear and broke every window and every light out of the van that belonged to one of the boy's (who was seventeen at the time) father . My son had to have his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks and had to "drink" his food through a straw. Also when 2 of the boys had gotten away and escaped into the woods, their whereabouts was still unknown when we arrived and the cops showed up after we were there. I wanted to look for the boys and they said since it was dark that they would have to wait 'til morning to conduct a search for them. I told them to go on their way to the "donut shop" and I would stay and I would look for them myself. Longer story short they did stay and one of them found the boys walking down the road about a half hour later.
By the way I waited a full day to talk to the police about what they were doing to find out who was involved in this situation......they had done absolutely nothing on his case and told me so. That is when they told me I would be arrested promptly if I tried to find out on my own who had done this to my son. Even longer story short the one who had broke my son's jaw had been arrested a few weeks later on 2 felony counts and some misdameanors and the court ended up reducing everything and this piece of garbage had to pay a $25 disorderly conduct charge. I know this all sounds too crazy to be true, but it is all true and even more that I can't go into because it is so involved!!! This is only one instance where my family has been victimized by some "human" and then victimized again by the police and court system!!!

So for me I believe if you mess with someone or their loved ones then you deserve whatever you might receive from the ones you have victimized and hopefully it will be 100 times over what you have been willing to deal out!! I know I have a severe attitude about these pieces of crap.... but that is just the way I feel about it!

flamingobabe
07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Glad the Spyder is OK....hopefully the punks will stay gone....

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Soooo... Is this thread heading back on track to a discussion of "Property-owners' Rights" :thumbup:

Firefly
07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
What a crazy derailment. Big difference between property being stolen and beatings and threats of personal injury.

Scaring someone off who is trying to steal your spyder outside probably doesn't do any good for anyone but you--- as many said they'll go steal something else..... But 'dropping' them really seems extreme unless your life (or your family) is threatened. You shoot or kill someone under such a situation and you stand a good chance of getting in big trouble. You better lawyer up and be able to prove your life was in danger or you could easily end up in jail.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Now..... Breaking INTO your home---- totally different situation. Do what you feel you need to do. Castle law typically requires you to feel your (or your family) life is in danger.

Pertaining to the spyder being taken from the yard.....for me the best action would be to try and have the thieves caught and arrested by the proper authorities--- which does often happen and they do go to jail. I read about it every day in the paper---yup.. people actually being caught after a crime and arrested and punished.... So the system does work---- but perhaps not up to everyone's satisfaction and certainly has much room for improvement.

Carry good insurance for just such a situation. Glad they didn't get away with the spyder--- they certainly don't sound like the sharpest of thieves! Pros would have had a trailer and done their research on how to operate the spyder at least enough to roll it away properly.

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=Firefly;487197]
Pertaining to the spyder being taken from the yard.....for me the best action would be to try and have the thieves caught and arrested by the proper authorities---

Wait just a dang minute here... :shocked: You don't trust the LEOs to write out a speeding ticket for you accurately; yet you'll have them investigate a crime against your property??? :roflblack:
Fly, It almost sounds as if you're trying to bait hooks AND swim with the bass at the same time... :thumbup:

spyder3
07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Pappy John http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=486932#post486932)

Vermin!"

The old "crime doesn't pay" now reads crime doesn't get punished.

FutureRyder
07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
One word: Kneecap.

Firefly
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=Firefly;487197]
Pertaining to the spyder being taken from the yard.....for me the best action would be to try and have the thieves caught and arrested by the proper authorities---

Wait just a dang minute here... :shocked: You don't trust the LEOs to write out a speeding ticket for you accurately; yet you'll have them investigate a crime against your property??? :roflblack:
Fly, It almost sounds as if you're trying to bait hooks AND swim with the bass at the same time... :thumbup:

Now hold the phone a minute bro. When did I EVER say I didn't trust the cops to write out a speeding ticket properly????

Sure they do-- they do it all the time---- and they get my speed correct too----- but that doesn't mean I'm not going to fight the ticket and try to use the legal system in an attempt to get a dismissal or deferral.

Ever stop to think if the cops weren't busy writing stupid speeding tickets (revenue enhancement) they could spend more time responding to REAL crimes like people trying to steal Spyders???

spyder3
07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;487206]

Now hold the phone a minute bro. When did I EVER say I didn't trust the cops to write out a speeding ticket properly????

Sure they do-- they do it all the time---- and they get my speed correct too----- but that doesn't mean I'm not going to fight the ticket and try to use the legal system in an attempt to get a dismissal or deferral.

Ever stop to think if the cops weren't busy writing stupid speeding tickets (revenue enhancement) they could spend more time responding to REAL crimes like people trying to steal Spyders???

Thats exactly what the real criminals do also. So when you say leave it to the system or the police and not defending your property the very same thing happens. Beat the system no matter what it takes.

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;487206]

:shocked: I hope that none of your new friends who hear all of your court cases read the above statement,,, If they did; you're screwed! :roflblack:

Firefly
07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=Firefly;487249]

:shocked: I hope that none of your new friends who hear all of your court cases read the above statement,,, If they did; you're screwed! :roflblack:

Why???

It's no big secret how the courts work. The judges and prosecutors know exactly what we want. So do the cops. We want the points to stay off our driving record.

And what do the courts, cops and prosecutors want????

MONEY. Period.

Got two deferrals this week BTW. You just need to know how to call their bluff and all they really want is some more $$$ to get rid of the points.

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;487253]
...We want the points to stay off our driving record...

SSHHHH... I've got a secret for you...
If you want to keep the points off of your driving record; just don't do what keeps landing you in front of the Robes! :thumbup: :roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack:

I really dig keeping my Life simple; and they wouldn't appreciate my sense of humor anyway!

Firefly
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Firefly;487249]

Thats exactly what the real criminals do also. So when you say leave it to the system or the police and not defending your property the very same thing happens. Beat the system no matter what it takes.

While our legal system isn't perfect... it's about the best in the world... at least in theory. Sure people will try to use every way possible to get off.... wouldn't you if you were charged with a crime? Or are you telling me you wouldn't take a plea deal for a lesser sentence before you actually go to court? C'mon..... They offer such deals to clear the court dockets up.. along with signing the offenders up for programs to try and keep them from becoming repeat offenders. Unfortunately many (perhaps even most) will become repeat offenders and eventually do real jail time.

No real easy answer to it all.. even the poster who mentioned having his trailer stolen admitted that everyone on the street had guns and CCW's ... so that in itself didn't deter the theft.

Try and protect your property as good as you can... lock it up... insure it.... etc..... and try and do what you can to get those committing the crime arrested. Or just go shoot them and take your chances.

I know which path I'll take. Best of luck to those taking the other path.. which I'm thinking most really wouldn't do...... very much bravado going around..... ;)

dliszews
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Didn't they use to hang horse thieves? Ahhhh the good old days.

guinness
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
A few years back I actually chased down and stopped the husband and wife team that were trying to break into my new truck. As I approched them he tried to run me over and the chase started. I folled them thru alley ways and parking lots as they tried to get away. 911 told me to stop chasing them now that I had given a full description and plate numbers. I did as soon as I saw jonny law was behind me... he stopped me and let the piece of crap continue down the road.

Long story short...
Cops:, "you have insurance?"
Me: YES
Cops: "just fill out a claim"
Me: What about the info I just gave you?
Cops: We'll check into it.

They arrested the husband who has a long history of stealing and such (public record). I'm out of pocket my deductable and can only sue him to get it back. Never saw the money and he was out of jail the same day. Scum like them don't have money or they wouldn't be stealing for you.

It may not be worth shooting someone (something) but man-o-man if he had to walk around with a gimp the rest of his life because his knee was blown to pieces it would be a constant reminder of not to :cus: with another mans property.

DR Buck
07-20-2012, 04:47 PM
It may not be worth shooting someone (something) but man-o-man if he had to walk around with a gimp the rest of his life because his knee was blown to pieces it would be a constant reminder of not to :cus: with another mans property.

:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
:agree: :gaah: :banghead: Drives you nuts; huh?

Knarfoh
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
My prior motorcycle was a Honda Goldwing. It was stolen and I was advised by the police and my insurance company that if it was not recovered within a few days to a week, consider it gone for good.

Two weeks lapsed and I called my insurance company to finalize the settlement. My agent was not in so I left a message. Later that same day, the police called and asked me to meet them at a location where they believed my motorcycle was located. I immediately drove over and found my Goldwing tucked in an alley garage behind a house in an older neighborhood.

I asked the police - "How did you find it?"

Apparently, the guy who stole it was gay and he and his boyfriend had a fight. The thief chased his boyfriend out of the house they shared. The boyfriend called the police and asked for an escort back to the house so he could recover his few personal belongings.

As he left the house with his possessions, he turned to the officer and said "Oh, by the way - He has a stolen motorcycle in his garage."

Except to put my stolen motorcycle on a hot sheet - the police really have no way of investigating these thefts. As more stolen vehicles are reported, your stolen vehicle slowly disappears to the back pages and eventually off the list (it is still listed stolen in motor vehicle databases and will remain there)..

Thank god for thieves being stupid and/or aggravating someone to the point they turn them in.....

Knarfoh
07-20-2012, 05:30 PM
They arrested the husband who has a long history of stealing and such (public record). I'm out of pocket my deductable and can only sue him to get it back. Never saw the money and he was out of jail the same day. Scum like them don't have money or they wouldn't be stealing for you.
In my case, as a condition of parole, the thief was required to pay me back my deductible. My motorcycle was recovered but they put scratches all over it (Honda Goldwing). The thief was a former Viet Nam veteran and he really was pretty old and decrepit. No one wanted to send him to jail. He got parole, but did have to pay me back (or go to jail). The trick is to talk to the prosecutor's office BEFORE they agree on sentencing. Unfortunately (as you found out), many of these people spend very little time in jail. I am convinced if I had not been pro-active, the prosecutor's office would have agreed to parole only.

The assistant county prosecutor walked into the the courtroom with numerous case files under his arm. I am convinced he had not even reviewed them before he appeared in court that morning to represent people like me - victims.

If you have nothing better to do - I recommend you go down and pick a courtroom on a Monday morning. They fly through the cases (everything that happened over the weekend). A lot of drunk driving. A lot of drug cases. A lot of domestic violence cases. A lot of petty theft. A lot of white trash and cheap black hood wannabees. The only people I felt sorry for were the well dressed individuals who got busted for DUI. Sobered up, they looked like nice people.

Firefly
07-20-2012, 05:54 PM
In my case, as a condition of parole, the thief was required to pay me back my deductible. My motorcycle was recovered but they put scratches all over it (Honda Goldwing). The thief was a former Viet Nam veteran and he really was pretty old and decrepit. No one wanted to send him to jail. He got parole, but did have to pay me back (or go to jail). The trick is to talk to the prosecutor's office BEFORE they agree on sentencing. Unfortunately (as you found out), many of these people spend very little time in jail. I am convinced if I had not been pro-active, the prosecutor's office would have agreed to parole only.

The assistant county prosecutor walked into the the courtroom with numerous case files under his arm. I am convinced he had not even reviewed them before he appeared in court that morning to represent people like me - victims.

If you have nothing better to do - I recommend you go down and pick a courtroom on a Monday morning. They fly through the cases (everything that happened over the weekend). A lot of drunk driving. A lot of drug cases. A lot of domestic violence cases. A lot of petty theft. A lot of white trash and cheap black hood wannabees. The only people I felt sorry for were the well dressed individuals who got busted for DUI. Sobered up, they looked like nice people.

What you would be seeing on a Monday morning for things that happened over the weeekend.is just an arraignment.... just a quick reading of the charges, etc... you don't even plead guilty or not..... they read the charges.. simple crimes they let you go and assign a court date..... bigger crimes may require bail, etc.....

You are still innocent at that point. You have been charged, but then you have your day(s) in court to determine your guilt.

The real action doesn't come for months later.....

Knarfoh
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
What you would be seeing on a Monday morning for things that happened over the weeekend.is just an arraignment.... just a quick reading of the charges, etc... you don't even plead guilty or not..... they read the charges.. simple crimes they let you go and assign a court date..... bigger crimes may require bail, etc.....

You are still innocent at that point. You have been charged, but then you have your day(s) in court to determine your guilt.

The real action doesn't come for months later.....
Yes.. on Monday mornings... those are arraignments. But, there is "wheeling and dealing" between the court, the prosecutor & defense attorneys even at this stage.

In my case (the theft of my Goldwing), the defendant plead "innocent". Anyone represented by an attorney will do so. Hell, most defense attorneys have not even "met" with their clients prior to their arraignment, especially on a Monday morning.

The case was scheduled for trial about a month and half later. At this point, the prosecutor and the defense attorneys will meet to "discuss" the case. It is at this point, you (the victim) gets left out unless you are vigilant. Hell, all they are trying to do (court, prosecutor & defense attorney) is minimize trial dates and court time taken up on cases where the defendant is "clearly" guilty (but technically still innocent until a trial proves otherwise). That is where there often are convictions (but no jail time); reduced charges; etc. My interest was to recoup my costs. I contacted the assistant prosecutor and spoke with him as well as put my issues in writing to the County Prosecutor's office. As the owner of the motorcycle, I was scheduled to be a witness in the trial so I was kept informed of trial dates.

The gentleman was convicted of "receiving stolen goods" and placed on 5 year probation. As a condition of the probation, he was to make full restitution of my "insurance deductible" which was $500.

boborgera
07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Reading all these posts about shooting first and asking questions later.
I was at Tug Hill NY this week end and a few miles north a father and son were on a vacation, The father went to their motel room first and went to bed, The the son came in much latter, The father thought someone was breaking in and shot his son dead,
The father is a cop. Once you pull that trigger that bullet isn't coming back.