PDA

View Full Version : Running out of gas???

Cruzr Joe
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I am curious as to what happens if you are, driving down the road and run out of gas, do you have any warning?. Other than the low fuel light. Will it just shut down or what???

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

ARtraveler
07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Never had the pleasure? :roflblack: Would guess the motor would shut off as well as the power assisted items. I believe you could give it a little parking lot test by hitting the kill switch while the :ani29: is in motion.

Firefly
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I am curious as to what happens if you are, driving down the road and run out of gas, do you have any warning?. Other than the low fuel light. Will it just shut down or what???

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

It pretty much just shuts down....... and yes.. you will lose your power steering... but you can still safely pull off the side of the road.

Owners manual has you practice such an event by getting up to speed and hitting your kill switch... essentially this is what it feels like.....

wyliec
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I've run my spyder down a few times to where the light came on and then drove about 20 miles. When I filled up, it took less than 5 gallons, which meant I had at least another gallon left. I have a 2008 GS.

Cruzr Joe
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the help, I love the fast replies to questions on this forum.:bowdown:

CyncySpyder
07-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Last summer, Teddy had me cruising out route 8 that runs along the Ohio River but heading East, a different direction than usual for us. I was thinking we should have just enough in the tank to hit the only gas station thats out that way in Agusta KY, but sadly, I was mistaken:lecturef_smilie:

About 3/4 of a mile from the station, Teds Red Sled gave a couple of coughs, and as others have stated, pretty much shut down:helpsmilie: I was doing 60 mph at the time and with a slight decline in the roadway, we were able to actually roll Teds Red Sled right up to the gas pump without skipping a beat:clap:

You shoulda seen the :shocked:confused looks:shocked: on the faces of the 2 HD riders that were standing there watching, as we silently came to a stop right at the pump:dontknow:

:yes:I couldn't believe our luck and promptly bought a lotto ticket after refueling:yes: But as long as the Spyder was still moving, the steering difference was barely noticeable;)

SpyderAnn01
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't remember losing the power steering when I ran out of gas but I just had to pull onto the shoulder of the highway.

vampyregirl
07-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Personally, I don't plan on EVER finding out!!! :cheers:

TuckMiddle
07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
If you figure out a way to keep it running after the gas is gone, please let us know.
Sorry, I just couldn't keep myself from typing this dumb response.:banghead:
Tuck

boborgera
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
My warning was the engine shutting down and silence, except the hum of the tires.
But i did have a gal and a half tank in the trunk, Poured it in hit the starter and the engine fired right up.

Daisyjoe
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I was on my way to the dealer for my 600 mile maint. checkup when I ran out. When the last bar disappeared, so did my power.:shocked: IMMEDIATELY!! I was traveling on back county roads with no fuel stop available. When the fuel light comes on now, I begin to get nervous.:yikes: It made a believer out of me:ohyea:

DLewis
07-19-2012, 09:04 PM
"You shoulda seen the :shocked:confused looks:shocked: on the faces of the 2 HD riders that were standing there watching, as we silently came to a stop right at the pump:dontknow:"

CyncySpyder, this would have been a great time to tell the HD riders that you were testing out the new Hybrid model Spyder, and you were just stopping in to fill up on electricity!!:D:D