PDA

View Full Version : Riding The New England States ???

SpyderDavidson
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
My wife and I are going to tour the New England states for 2 weeks in September. We are open to any suggestions of what we should see and do while we are there. What great roads there are to ride?

If any of you live there or have vacationed/toured there, your input would be gratefully accepted. There are some awesome things that never get in the tour books or literature. The must see, must do kinds of things, the local knowledge? Where to eat, what to see, what to do?

What are your greatest memories of the area? Where would you like to go back to and why? Let’s have some fun with this, tell us your story and include pictures if you’d like.

We are expecting to have a great time and your suggestions could make it even better.

Thanks for any and all input.

Be Blessed, Be A Blessing!

SpyderDavidson & Shewhoprays

Littlebadwolf
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Mystic Seaport in CT would be a great place to visit...rustic, aquarium, tall sailing ships and tremendous seafood..

harrypottar
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
There are lots of great riding roads around New England I will list some later when I'm out of work.

In the meantime, its worth looking at Mad Maps (https://www.madmaps.com/roadtrips/new-england), they have printed versions and if you have a Garmin GPS you can download the digital.

covers some great scenic rides.

I will paste more later

harry

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
My wife and I are going to tour the New England states for 2 weeks in September. We are open to any suggestions of what we should see and do while we are there. What great roads there are to ride?

If any of you live there or have vacationed/toured there, your input would be gratefully accepted. There are some awesome things that never get in the tour books or literature. The must see, must do kinds of things, the local knowledge? Where to eat, what to see, what to do?

What are your greatest memories of the area? Where would you like to go back to and why? Let’s have some fun with this, tell us your story and include pictures if you’d like.

We are expecting to have a great time and your suggestions could make it even better.

Thanks for any and all input.

Be Blessed, Be A Blessing!

SpyderDavidson & Shewhoprays My address is 796 Vt Rt 100 So.Moretown Vermont 05660...you both are welcome to stay and visit ( not SEPT. 1st THRU 10th. that's lamont's BBQ:bbq:). Right now I'm expecting MemphisDan and 3 of his friends ( all unknown to me , but Dan is a Spyderlover here) to stopover on their ride to Labrador....."Murphy Brown" was here for a few days in May She said she enjoyed it.....ask her.....PM me if interested..Map Quest to find me.....Mike...:thumbup:

Mspiv
07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
According to murphybrown, blue knight 911 is a great host, terrific cook and one hell of a tour guide.

I would also suggest the Kangamangus highway in New Hampshire. It is near North Conway Nh. Route 100 in Vermont is sweet and depending when you'll be in this area, the northern parts of Vermont ( northeast kingdom) might have some foliage color change going on.

Dont overlook the coast of Maine

I would love to have you stay on the Cape ( Cape Cod Mass.) but I will be running route 66 in September.

ameobe
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Not sure of your route, but RT 6 across Pa. is a nice ride. Here are some details (http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/475/Pennsylvania/Grand-Army-of-the-Republic-Highway---Route-6-%28PA%29.html).
Ryde safe & have fun:doorag:

smurfette
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
:agree:Definitely do the
Kancamagus!!!
According to murphybrown, blue knight 911 is a great host, terrific cook and one hell of a tour guide.

I would also suggest the Kangamangus highway in New Hampshire. It is near North Conway Nh. Route 100 in Vermont is sweet and depending when you'll be in this area, the northern parts of Vermont ( northeast kingdom) might have some foliage color change going on.

Dont overlook the coast of Maine

I would love to have you stay on the Cape ( Cape Cod Mass.) but I will be running route 66 in September.

kawakii
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Kangamangus for sure ! NH is a beautiful place to ride... So is ME and VT :)

pro10is
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Connecticut: Beautiful countryside, historic seaports. Don't miss: Mystic Seaport, Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration

Maine: Pristine beaches, spectacular coast, incredible woodlands. Don't miss: Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor

Massachusetts: Historic sites, amazing ocean beaches, islands, fairs, great city. Don't miss: Boston, Six Flags, The Big E (September), Cape Cod, Nantucket (you -have- to see Nantucket)

New Hampshire: Coastal roads, ocean beaches, mountain roadways, historic routes. Don't miss: Mount Washington, Hampton Beach, Coastal Byway, American Independence Byway

Rhode Island: Ocean towns, coastal roads, sea Don't miss; Providence, Block Island, The -amazing- Newport Mansion Tour, & Quahog!

Vermont: Breathtaking countryside scenery, mountain roads, ski resorts (open year round), lake roads, country towns, fairs, apple orchards. Don't miss: Stowe, Smugglers' Notch mountain road (VT's Dragon), Gondola ride up Mt. Mansfield, Jay Peak Waterpark, Burlington's Church Street Market Place, Lake Champlain Cruises (New England's Great Lake), Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, Shelburne Farms, Shelburne Museum, Bromley Fun Park, Northeast Kingdom, Champlain Valley Fair, Vermont State Fair

murphybrown
07-19-2012, 03:30 AM
My address is 796 Vt Rt 100 So.Moretown Vermont 05660...you both are welcome to stay and visit ( not SEPT. 1st THRU 10th. that's lamont's BBQ:bbq:). Right now I'm expecting MemphisDan and 3 of his friends ( all unknown to me , but Dan is a Spyderlover here) to stopover on their ride to Labrador....."Murphy Brown" was here for a few days in May She said she enjoyed it.....ask her.....PM me if interested..Map Quest to find me.....Mike...:thumbup:

OH Yea...Blueknight 911 (aka Mike, Max and Kiki) get a 5 star rating...awesome country, awesome host and reallllly awesome tour guide...go for hiway 17....:thumbup:

vtspyder
07-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Connecticut: Beautiful countryside, historic seaports. Don't miss: Mystic Seaport, Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration

Maine: Pristine beaches, spectacular coast, incredible woodlands. Don't miss: Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor

Massachusetts: Historic sites, amazing ocean beaches, islands, fairs, great city. Don't miss: Boston, Six Flags, The Big E (September), Cape Cod, Nantucket (you -have- to see Nantucket)

New Hampshire: Coastal roads, ocean beaches, mountain roadways, historic routes. Don't miss: Mount Washington, Hampton Beach, Coastal Byway, American Independence Byway

Rhode Island: Ocean towns, coastal roads, sea Don't miss; Providence, Block Island, The -amazing- Newport Mansion Tour, & Quahog!

Vermont: Breathtaking countryside scenery, mountain roads, ski resorts (open year round), lake roads, country towns, fairs, apple orchards. Don't miss: Stowe, Smugglers' Notch mountain road (VT's Dragon), Gondola ride up Mt. Mansfield, Jay Peak Waterpark, Burlington's Church Street Market Place, Lake Champlain Cruises (New England's Great Lake), Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, Shelburne Farms, Shelburne Museum, Bromley Fun Park, Northeast Kingdom, Champlain Valley Fair, Vermont State Fair

:agree: on ALL! Acadia is EPIC so make sure your camera is charged up. Cadilac mtn' you can be the first on the east coast U.S. to see the sunrise. Here's a few pic's from last summer in Stowe VT/Underhill/Smuggler's Notch.

rogerb
07-19-2012, 06:05 AM
VTSPYDER

The pictures in black and white seem to give them depth. Very nice. :thumbup:

dancogan
07-19-2012, 06:22 AM
...Vermont: Breathtaking countryside scenery, mountain roads, ski resorts (open year round), lake roads, country towns, fairs, apple orchards. Don't miss: Stowe, Smugglers' Notch mountain road (VT's Dragon), Gondola ride up Mt. Mansfield, Jay Peak Waterpark, Burlington's Church Street Market Place, Lake Champlain Cruises (New England's Great Lake), Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, Shelburne Farms, Shelburne Museum, Bromley Fun Park, Northeast Kingdom, Champlain Valley Fair, Vermont State Fair

:agree::agree::agree: Actually I agreed with the whole post, but ESPECIALLY with the part about Vermont!

CyncySpyder
07-19-2012, 06:33 AM
;) On a side note, you have an open invitation to visit Teddy & I if you are passing thru the Cincinnati/Northern KY area of the country, would be great to meet ya's:thumbup:

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
OH Yea...Blueknight 911 (aka Mike, Max and Kiki) get a 5 star rating...awesome country, awesome host and reallllly awesome tour guide...go for hiway 17....:thumbup:

Highway 17 in VT is a great ride! Highway 17 in the Rangeley, Maine area is also a good one with nice views. Ride safe!

FutureRyder
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Rt 302 in NH, through Crawford Notch State Park is nice also.

I've seen Maine 201 (along with other highways mentioned here already) on one of the "best rides" list, but haven't been there in any vehicle yet. It heads north from I-95, just north of Waterville on up to Canada. 201 passes by a lake or two, and follows the Kennebec River for most of it's length. The "list" mentions between Solon, Me and Moose River, Me (just north of Jackman).

Anyone from Maine or that's been there care to chime in?