PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable riding position.........RS or RT?

Canadian GP
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I know the RT is considered to be a touring bike but does the RS have the same riding position for the driver? I'm sure a passenger would be more comfortable on an RT.

StanProff
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
I know the RT is considered to be a touring bike but does the RS have the same riding position for the driver? I'm sure a passenger would be more comfortable on an RT.

RS is the sporty lean forward a bit position. RT is upright with handlebars up and back.

Bob Denman
07-18-2012, 09:35 AM
YOu sit more upright with your feet slightly more forward on the RT
With the RS; it's more like a sportbike tuck...

Canadian GP
07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
That was quick, thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Living proof that we should all be working harder... :opps: :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Living proof that we should all be working harder... :opps: :roflblack:

:roflblack::roflblack:

Firefly
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Almost everyone I know does something to the handlebars on the RS to make them more upright. BRP paid attention and thus made the RT bars further back so the rider sits up more. Day and night difference in riding positions between these two models. RT is MUCH more comfortable.

warp10
07-18-2012, 10:23 AM
ISCI and Kewmetal make a 7inch handle bar that makes a huge difference almost like an RT. Much more comfortable.

arntufun
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Almost everyone I know does something to the handlebars on the RS to make them more upright. BRP paid attention and thus made the RT bars further back so the rider sits up more. Day and night difference in riding positions between these two models. RT is MUCH more comfortable.

To bad they used a design from 1985 from thier snowmobile, Ski doo Safari. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Well you should always dance with the girl that you brought to the Ball... :thumbup: :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I can't add much more to the discussion between the RT and RS riding positions. I have owned both models and the previous posters are right on.

:welcome:

daveinva
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Actually, the RS is nowhere near a sportbike seating position. With only 6 degrees of torso lean, it's more accurate to call it an aggressive standard (if anything, the aggressive part comes at the knees-- that's the biggest difference between the RS and RT in my book, your knees are tucked behind on the RS whereas they're practically straight down on the RT).

Great site if you've never visited-- compare the RS to the RT, or the RS to other standards/touring bikes-- or actual sport bikes (even a "standard-like" sport bike like the Ninja 250 is raked far more aggressively than the RS... forget something like a Gixxer).

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Personally, while I agree that risers make a big difference on the RS, good footboards/floorboards contribute just as much if not more benefit. Plant your feet and knees in the right spot with the right leverage and you can take a lot of strain off your arms and back while riding.

Yeah, you have to add the risers, floorboards, and probably even a new seat to make the RS a touring machine, but the plus side is that you really can make the RS your own ergonomically (on the RT, you can modify seat and your feet, but no risers are available, so if the grips aren't perfect for you out of the box, your options are limited).

Anyway, this subject is important to me because I know that at first I wasn't at all interested in the Spyder RS BECAUSE I wasn't at all interested in sport bike ergonomics, and the Spyder RS *looks* like it has a sport bike's ergonomics.

It wasn't until I actually was able to sit on one at a dealer that I discovered that, hey, this seating position is nothing like a sport bike's, it's actually quite comfortable, and with modifications, it's easily tourable.

To be honest, the RS probably could stand to be MORE like a sportbike to differentiate it more from the RT. Meaning, if the RS had a more aggressive seating position, it'd probably be more physically comfortable out of the box then the admittedly bizarre compromise between torso and knee angle on the bike.

Trouble is, you really can't get a good sportbike position on the Spyder given the width of the bike (on a sportbike you can tuck your knees in and grip against the tank, you don't really have that option on the wider Spyder, best you can do is more of a firm "press). Likewise, there's no real need to ride in that position on a three-wheeled machine-- sure, bending forward *feels* fun and sporty, but with three un-leaning wheels on the ground there's no need for the type of body english one uses on a sportbike, you use a different set of muscles to shift on the Spyder. (If anything, I discovered that after I put my floorboards on and was able to *lower* my feet on the bike from the height of the pegs, my control over the Spyder increased versus riding it on the pegs-- the precise opposite of two-wheels IME).

P.S. If a leaning Spyder were to ever come out, it'll be interesting to see how the ergonomics change for that bike. I believe that simply adding leaning wheels to the Spyder RS's current ergonomics would be a mistake-- either they need to make you lean your torso forward *more*, or they need to move your knees forward to make it more like the RT.

flaggerphil
07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
To me, the RT position is more like that on a Gold Wing or a BMW tourer. I rode the RS twice and didn't feel the riding position was comfortable at all.

3whlLefty
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I have the RS with the comfort seat, SBFRacing floorboards, and 1" risers (I have quite long arms). A week ago I sat on an RT at the dealer and thought it felt a little cramped. Quite surprised. I hear that the comfort seat for the RT moves you back 2 inches which I would need.

Try both and hopefully it will be obvious.

Canadian GP
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Thank you for the very informative post and website. :thumbup:

According to that website my current riding position is knee angle 86* and a forward lean angle of 17* On an RS those angles change to 93 and 11 which I'm assuming take strain off of the back and knees. I have very arthritic knees so every little bit will help.

Ga Blue Knight
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Also your hight makes a big difference with both bikes. I am 5'4" and had a pretty good sport tuck going on the RS. With the RT I adjust right with my legs somewhat vertical and a slight lean into the bars. The seating position for me is exactly like my old BMW RT-100 air head

With the RS I would be fatigued after about 4 to 5 hours on the road. The RT has yet to wear me out physically.

The RS would provide lots of wind in your face appeal, the RT more like a eat the miles up appeal..

Firefly
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
To bad they used a design from 1985 from thier snowmobile, Ski doo Safari. :roflblack:

That's not even close to how RT bars look. You want to see ugly.... those kewlmetal bars are dowright FUGLY... ditto for helibars.....

Bob Denman
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
It's not his fault; he rides a Kitty Cat, so he can't be expected to know the difference! :roflblack:

coz
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
gs, rs $ux:( needs ten more inches of foot room and forward controls.

Campverdefela
07-18-2012, 05:55 PM
That's not even close to how RT bars look. You want to see ugly.... those kewlmetal bars are dowright FUGLY... ditto for helibars.....

'Eye of the Beholder' my friend