PDA

View Full Version : THE STUPIDEST, DUMBEST THING ANYONE HAS EVER DONE....AND I DID IT

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
This starts with a broken fender bracket...I dis-assemble drill a few holes in tube and base and put in a 3/16 " piece of rod...I re-assemble and secure it with metal hose clamps and a splint.....take :ani29: to get spot welded, so when iI dis-assemble the parts won't move right.....at the shop I take out all the relays, fuses, and dis-connect the battery as a precaution against damaging the computers ..right....the welder says ( this is Mig ) don't bother it won't hurt the computers.....I do it anyway...I'm cautious and smarter...Right......4 minutes later job is finished , I push :ani29: out and re-place all the stuff I un-did....Start her up and away I go.....Buuuuuuuuut nothing showing on the console screen ...it's blank...also no turn signals, no horn, no power steering.....Brake lights and headlights work....Oh crap.....I checked everything twice fuses front and rear OK...relays all OK....No burnt wires etc. However, when I replaced the relays I offset main relay #2 by one hole.....and that shut down almost everything....Soooooooooo be careful when replacing things......This could have been a very expensive repair ...STUPID STUPID STUPID.....Mike.....ride safe......:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
07-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Wow, you must really be hard on yourself when you do something that can't be fixed. :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, you must really be hard on yourself when you do something that can't be fixed. :roflblack:

This was not one of my more shineing moments, however I posted it anyway so others might LEARN from my error....Also it scared the Cr*p out of me.....Mike.....:thumbup:

cyclelover63
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I did that with a fuse once after I installed my power outlet and did some marker light work...Drove to dealer in limp in mode 40 miles,night dropped it,had my wife follow me and pick me up.. only to find out the fuse was spanning two different cavities...:banghead:....I wonder why they didn't space them out just a fraction...THEN,I drove my truck there the next day and I showed them where to hide the key when they were done with other work I was going to have them do,while it was there,and I locked the key under the seat,with my spare key 40 miles away..:banghead::banghead:...They couldn't get my seat open,so I had to drive home and get it...:gaah:

NancysToy
07-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Has that hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach gone away yet? :yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Has that hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach gone away yet? :yikes:

Scotty you have no idea what kind of nightmare thoughts were going thru my head, thinking about how many computers I might have to replace be-cause maybe they got fried somehow.......and going back to my other Post on code problems I brought up this one code...0 P0707....this is not even listed in the shop manual....I cleared it and did it again....same thing ..0 P0707.....care to make a guess.....Mike....:thumbup:

NancysToy
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Scotty you have no idea what kind of nightmare thoughts were going thru my head, thinking about how many computers I might have to replace be-cause maybe they got fried somehow.......and going back to my other Post on code problems I brought up this one code...0 P0707....this is not even listed in the shop manual....I cleared it and did it again....same thing ..0 P0707.....care to make a guess.....Mike....:thumbup:
For standard OBD-2, it is a transmission sensor out of range. I'd say it is related to your Gear Position Sensor. Usually on a Spyder this is accompanied by gear indications that tend to jump between gears. Replacement of the sensor will be necessary if it continues.

WaltH
07-16-2012, 11:33 PM
This starts with a broken fender bracket...I dis-assemble drill a few holes in tube and base and put in a 3/16 " piece of rod...I re-assemble and secure it with metal hose clamps and a splint.....take :ani29: to get spot welded, so when iI dis-assemble the parts won't move right.....at the shop I take out all the relays, fuses, and dis-connect the battery as a precaution against damaging the computers ..right....the welder says ( this is Mig ) don't bother it won't hurt the computers.....I do it anyway...I'm cautious and smarter...Right......4 minutes later job is finished , I push :ani29: out and re-place all the stuff I un-did....Start her up and away I go.....Buuuuuuuuut nothing showing on the console screen ...it's blank...also no turn signals, no horn, no power steering.....Brake lights and headlights work....Oh crap.....I checked everything twice fuses front and rear OK...relays all OK....No burnt wires etc. However, when I replaced the relays I offset main relay #2 by one hole.....and that shut down almost everything....Soooooooooo be careful when replacing things......This could have been a very expensive repair ...STUPID STUPID STUPID.....Mike.....ride safe......:thumbup:

Sorry, you are too late. I made exactly the same mistake more than one year ago. I was diagnosing a problem on my way home one night. I removed the main relay and didn't replace it correctly. I didn't know this. I rode home 130 miles with no instrument cluster (no speedometer, no odometer, no gas gauge, etc.), and no power steering. My imagination was going wild. In the middle of the night I had an eureka moment and thought of the relay. First thing in the morning I checked the relay. WOW - now everything worked. The result is my odometer is off by an additional 130 miles.

ARtraveler
07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Welcome to the OOP's club. Been there and done that. Thank you for posting so that some of us can avoid that particular OOP's.

Dudley
07-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Here's one for you, from my experience...the brackets are warranted if your Spyder is not over 2 years old.

Bob Denman
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Mike,
My Grampa Denman was the wisest man that I ever had the good fortune of knowing...
After bringing him a Winchest Model 100 rifle in a whole bunch of jammed-up pieces,
he told me, "The only man who never makes a mistake, is a man who never does anything."

We learn from these little episodes too! :thumbup: It won't happen again!

epiphysis
07-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Mike,
My Grampa Denman was the wisest man that I ever had the good fortune of knowing...
After bringing him a Winchest Model 100 rifle in a whole bunch of jammed-up pieces,
he told me, "The only man who never makes a mistake, is a man who never does anything."

We learn from these little episodes too! :thumbup: It won't happen again!

totally agree......think of where thhe world would be if no one even tried!!!!

CyncySpyder
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I actually read thru the Elka User Manual and it specifically states that the shocks could be damaged if left on a vehicle that is having welding work done:yikes: and I had no clue, so thought I'd share with the rest of y'all. That would really sucknojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry, you are too late. I made exactly the same mistake more than one year ago. I was diagnosing a problem on my way home one night. I removed the main relay and didn't replace it correctly. I didn't know this. I rode home 130 miles with no instrument cluster (no speedometer, no odometer, no gas gauge, etc.), and no power steering. My imagination was going wild. In the middle of the night I had an eureka moment and thought of the relay. First thing in the morning I checked the relay. WOW - now everything worked. The result is my odometer is off by an additional 130 miles.

I took that damn relay out four times and swapped it around with the other ones to make sure it was functioning.....and I kept putting them all back in the wrong slot ...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghe ad:......you would think I would get it right one out of four but Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not Me :roflblack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I think anybody that wrenches on anything has done something like this. I know I have. Did a few of these when I was building my Spyder. In this case at least you didn't listen to the welder. You might have really been chasing bad computers. :gaah: After all that how did the fix work?

Getting the relay in the slot it belonged in fixed all the problems....because now I had electrical continuity ( I think ? ).....As far as the bracket welding, it's never gonna break now....it has a 3/16" metal rod plus two 1/8" x 1/2" wide metal strips top and bottom welded to the tube and bottom connection that bolts to the wheel hub......My feeling is ...it's not a question of wether it will break....it's a question of when ????....the stress exzerted by the shaking fender is hugh....and the weakest area is wear the tube is welded to the bottom piece.....the tube is not flimsy buy any means...it appears to be slightly thicker than 1/8 wall....that's pretty hefty....and it still broke.....if I get a few days of bad weather I plan to do the other Bracket because it's just a matter of time......THINK ABOUT IT Mike.....and if you don't fix the bracket now, you better have a 1/2 inch deep socket or small ext. and a rachet with you because the tool kit in the Spyder ain't gonna do it.,when you try and un-bolt the fender...trust me I KNOW...and wire cutters because you will never find the plug......:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Here's one for you, from my experience...the brackets are warranted if your Spyder is not over 2 years old.

Mine is an 08, and I don't think it was defective....absolutely no rust....Vermont roads are brutal on suspensions.....Mike.....:thumbup:

GA-SPYDER
07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Same thing happened to me when I installed the E.S.I risers on a friends :spyder2: (third set of risers that I had done). It was really embarassing. He had to ride mine home. I woke up at 3 the next morning and fixed it, when the light bulb came on, in my head!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Same thing happened to me when I installed the E.S.I risers on a friends :spyder2: (third set of risers that I had done). It was really embarassing. He had to ride mine home. I woke up at 3 the next morning and fixed it, when the light bulb came on, in my head!

What was the same thing that happened to you ??????.......and what did you fix at 3 AM ?????.....You must think we have crystal balls here :roflblack::roflblack:

GA-SPYDER
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
What was the same thing that happened to you ??????.......and what did you fix at 3 AM ?????.....You must think we have crystal balls here :roflblack::roflblack:
Sooo, your going to make me tell the whole story.......
When we wre re-routing the cables for the risers, pulled the dash display, found the "cable tie" that you have to cut to get more wire length, reached in real careful-like, cut the tie, and finished the job. was all done by 21:30. Told him to "go ahead and fire it up". turned the key, waited for the safety message, and hit the starter button. Nothing, no start. CRAP. My buddy pulls out all of the relays and reseats them. Turned on the key and no dash! So now we have two problems. So he rides mine home, I get up at 3 in the morning, find the cut wire from the starter button, and then figure out that he had put the main relay in the wrong place. He calls me at 8 A.M. to say that he thinks that the key is the problem. Said nope, it is all fixed. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I promise to learn from my mistakes!!!:banghead:

Some Guy
07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
STUPID STUPID STUPID.....Mike

You don't know how many times I've said that to myself!!! :yikes:

Yep...my name is Mike, and I do stupid shi...stuff!

Kinda reminds me of The Possum Lodge Man Prayer!

I'm a man,
but I can change,
if I have to,
I guess.

:)

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Sooo, your going to make me tell the whole story.......
When we wre re-routing the cables for the risers, pulled the dash display, found the "cable tie" that you have to cut to get more wire length, reached in real careful-like, cut the tie, and finished the job. was all done by 21:30. Told him to "go ahead and fire it up". turned the key, waited for the safety message, and hit the starter button. Nothing, no start. CRAP. My buddy pulls out all of the relays and reseats them. Turned on the key and no dash! So now we have two problems. So he rides mine home, I get up at 3 in the morning, find the cut wire from the starter button, and then figure out that he had put the main relay in the wrong place. He calls me at 8 A.M. to say that he thinks that the key is the problem. Said nope, it is all fixed. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I promise to learn from my mistakes!!!:banghead:

thanks for sharing, and that wasn't so hard was it ????????:roflblack:...Mike