PDA

View Full Version : "Budget" Garmin (or other) GPS recommendations?

daveinva
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Tapping the wisdom of the crowd... anyone have any recommendations for cheap-but-effective GPS solutions?

My situation:
-- Had an old Garmin Nuvi 7-series that after four years finally figured out a new way of crapping out for good.
-- Looking at sub $200 range ( Would love a Zumo, but don't want to pay for a Zumo right now, so no Zumo for now)
-- Don't have a smart phone so Navigon or similar app is out
-- Happy to stick with a Garmin Nuvi, see via Amazon there are more than a few options in my price range

No need to worry about waterproofing-- I just ziploc bag it. I've already got a RAM and Powerlet mount, can easily get any adapters I need.

Really, about the only thing I need to know is whether any of these cheaper GPS units will be bright enough and be usable with a glove on. My old Nuvi was barely bright enough at 100% and was middling/okay with gloves on; happy to suck it up for the price again, but certainly would love to improve on it if that's an option.

Thanks!

arntufun
07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
They all suck in the sun............... even with a GPS sun shade.

If you don't have any blue tooth technology for your helmet, make sure you purchase an older model GPS with a headphone port. Since you won't be able to see the screen vary well, you will have to rely on voice commands that run through ear buds since you won't be able to hear it with your new pipe you have. This is the method I use, so I hope this helps you. :thumbup:

daveinva
07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
They all suck in the sun............... even with a GPS sun shade.

Heh. Figured that, just wondering if there are any variations, i.e. some suck less than others. :sour:

If you don't have any blue tooth technology for your helmet, make sure you purchase an older model GPS with a headphone port. Since you won't be able to see the screen vary well, you will have to rely on voice commands that run through ear buds since you won't be able to hear it with your new pipe you have. This is the method I use, so I hope this helps you. :thumbup:

I've got a Sena SMH10 headset, so BT is covered at least on the new models (my old Nuvi didn't have that, so at a minimum that should be an upgrade).

SpyderRyder
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Tapping the wisdom of the crowd... anyone have any recommendations for cheap-but-effective GPS solutions?

My situation:
-- Had an old Garmin Nuvi 7-series that after four years finally figured out a new way of crapping out for good.
-- Looking at sub $200 range ( Would love a Zumo, but don't want to pay for a Zumo right now, so no Zumo for now)
-- Don't have a smart phone so Navigon or similar app is out
-- Happy to stick with a Garmin Nuvi, see via Amazon there are more than a few options in my price range

No need to worry about waterproofing-- I just ziploc bag it. I've already got a RAM and Powerlet mount, can easily get any adapters I need.

Really, about the only thing I need to know is whether any of these cheaper GPS units will be bright enough and be usable with a glove on. My old Nuvi was barely bright enough at 100% and was middling/okay with gloves on; happy to suck it up for the price again, but certainly would love to improve on it if that's an option.

Thanks!

If you opt for a Garmin Nuvi, just make sure it includes the letters LMT in the model number. This allows you lifetime map and traffic updates. A costly upgrade if it's not included. The price is usually not significantly higher for these models.

Ivorspyder
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I am selling a 2 year old Zumo with all the attachments at a good price.Just posted it in the classified section.

DrewNJ
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I recently picked up a Nuvi 40lm that has lifetime maps. Don't care about traffic updates as I have that on my nuvi in the car and they are pretty worthless IMHO.

The screen does look a bit washed out in the sun but it is still 100% readable...I have it mounted in front of the right side vent on my RS with the power going under the steering and into the front 12v plug. Works fine with gloves.

staysafeonline
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I just bought a Nuvi 1450LMT that uses the "old" traffic system (not HD Radio which I hear is horrible) which includes the lifetime maps and traffic, has bluetooth and paid like $130 bucsk for it. it is the older model but it works fine and since I can get new maps, not really missing out on the key items. Can't see the screen in directly sunlight but has pretty good visibility if you can even get just a little bit of shade. Not perfect but worth the $$$ - haven't used it on the Spyder but does a good job in the cage.

zrc
07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I just bought a Nuvi 1450LMT that uses the "old" traffic system (not HD Radio which I hear is horrible) which includes the lifetime maps and traffic, has bluetooth and paid like $130 bucsk for it. it is the older model but it works fine and since I can get new maps, not really missing out on the key items. Can't see the screen in directly sunlight but has pretty good visibility if you can even get just a little bit of shade. Not perfect but worth the $$$ - haven't used it on the Spyder but does a good job in the cage.

WHYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

By the way, is it wrong that during the week I had my spyder broke down to fix the back tire do various other things that I was wondering why I never put RAM mounts in my car for stuff?

daveinva
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the first-hand report, that was one of the models I was looking at.

bcoulter19
07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
I just use the maps app on my android phone. My phone blutooths to my helmet and it is free. It also gives great directions.

staysafeonline
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the first-hand report, that was one of the models I was looking at.

No problem! By from Amazon - try it and if you hate it - send it back. I was looking at the more expensive models and in the end I just couldn't justify it (especially when so many reviews mentioned how spotty the HD radio traffic is at this point). One thing to know - the first time you boot the GPS it may take several minutes to finally find where you are - just power it up and let it be for 10 minutes or so.

staysafeonline
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
WHYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

By the way, is it wrong that during the week I had my spyder broke down to fix the back tire do various other things that I was wondering why I never put RAM mounts in my car for stuff?

I make a payment on that stupid car - I have to drive it every once in a while! And I have to admit - 100+ degrees is too hot for me. Rode about 90 miles on Saturday and it was 96 and I was completely exhausted by time I got back home.

flybuddy
07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
I use motion x on iPhone with a BT headset, works great.

Robertsepolen
07-16-2012, 11:43 PM
We use a Nuvi 50. It has stood up to several rainstorms including to very heavy downpours. It is not officially weather OK'd but it doesnt seem to know that. Sub $150 @ best buy. Also it has loud enough volume that We can hear the voice prompts even with ear plugs in. Was able to hear it in Seattle freeway traffic in a heavy downpour. Not the best in the sun for visibility though, so, glad the volume is loud.

JOESPY
07-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I am using a Garmin nuvi 550 waterproof multi-mode GPS was instaled and tested in rain when i went to the Spyderfest in Cuba for the price i payed i am very satisfied, you can buy this garmin GPS under 250$ i think its a deal.

daveinva
07-17-2012, 06:00 AM
I ordered a Nuvi 1490LMT (the BT version otherwise identical to the 1450LMT) last night for $145. Thanks again to everyone for their advice!

vtspyder
07-17-2012, 06:10 AM
If you opt for a Garmin Nuvi, just make sure it includes the letters LMT in the model number. This allows you lifetime map and traffic updates. A costly upgrade if it's not included. The price is usually not significantly higher for these models.

:thumbup:
:agree: I picked up a Nuvi 1490 a year ago and works great. Still able to see it pretty good in direct sun. I wanted the largest screen I could get. I paid around $130. Love it!
http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-nuvi-1490-1490t-portable-gps-system-5-touchscreen-text-to/214112794.html

daveinva
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I could get. I paid around $130.

SHEESH, rub it in, why don't ya? :p:joke:

HedonismBot
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
So, I'm a noob with RAM mounts. If I bought the 1490 Nuvi, could someone give me an idea of the part numbers of what I'd need to maybe u-bolt it to the handlebars? I've got a Scala headset so with BT, I'm good to go.

EDIT:

Ah, I see they have a wizard on their site. Which base would I need for an RT-S? Two are listed as options. One up to 1.25" or one up to 1" diameter.

daveinva
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
So, I'm a noob with RAM mounts. If I bought the 1490 Nuvi, could someone give me an idea of the part numbers of what I'd need to maybe u-bolt it to the handlebars? I've got a Scala headset so with BT, I'm good to go.

EDIT:

Ah, I see they have a wizard on their site. Which base would I need for an RT-S? Two are listed as options. One up to 1.25" or one up to 1" diameter.

I couldn't figure out a good fit for my RS, so I actually went the "Ez Strap" route and was very happy with that-- it's adjustable, so I didn't even have to worry about right sizing it. Not certain it'll work with the RT, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

http://www.amazon.com/RAP-SB-187GLU-EZ-Strap-RAM-Garmin-Compatible/dp/B005Q0RGKQ

HedonismBot
07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I couldn't figure out a good fit for my RS, so I actually went the "Ez Strap" route and was very happy with that-- it's adjustable, so I didn't even have to worry about right sizing it. Not certain it'll work with the RT, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

http://www.amazon.com/RAP-SB-187GLU-EZ-Strap-RAM-Garmin-Compatible/dp/B005Q0RGKQ

Wow. Awesome.

Will the 1450 give directions over Bluetooth? From Garmin's site, it doesn't look like it does. Under Specifications, it just says "internal speaker".

daveinva
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow. Awesome. So, that jut operates as the base then I buy the rest of the RAM stuff in between like the mounting bracket and arm part? Or perhaps just http://www.amazon.com/GA35-RPH-Garmin-custom-Adapter/dp/B003Y8B068/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342549785&sr=1-7&keywords=Garmin+17mm+ball+joint+bracket?

Yup, that should work fine.

HedonismBot
07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Yup, that should work fine.

Gracias!

WackyDan
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I've been using a Garmin 1300t ( I actually own two of these) on the Spyder with the Zip Lock approach like you. Prior to that I was using a Magellan.

Note - Magellan is no longer the same company having been sold a few times... While I used to like their user interface best, the last two Magellan's I had died within a month of getting them and calling Magellan support for a warranty replacement or repair was incredibly painful...So I switched to Garmin... My first 1300 is still going strong with 15k of Spydering on it... I have more issues with the powerlet cables than I do with the GPS.

That said, I am switching to the RAM Aquabox for my August trip... When it starts to rain, I don't want to be focused on getting the zip locks over the devices (phone and GPS) PLUS getting my rain gear on.

Bottom line... You can get a decent GPS for $100 to $150... and even if you have to replace it yearly, it beats the upfront cost of a ZUMO.