PDA

View Full Version : BumpSkid and hydro-planing

hrbeta
07-15-2012, 02:31 PM
I badly abused my RS's original skid plate while in Colorado, so I ordered a BumpSkid from Spyderpops.com as a replacement. It looks like a great product, however, should I be concerned its sleek, ample form and vast undercarriage coverage could promote hydro-planing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NancysToy
07-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Not unless you are riding fast into foot deep water. The tires would hydroplane long before the bumpskid would ever become submerged. The Spyder isn't a submarine. ;)

BajaRon
07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Not unless you are riding fast into foot deep water. The tires would hydroplane long before the bumpskid would ever become submerged. The Spyder isn't a submarine. ;)

Well Scottie, you beat me to this one! I think if you were trying to do this the Bump Skid would help though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGOO9ZHdp4&feature=player_detailpage

thehawk
07-15-2012, 04:55 PM
As the Flying Nun once said, "lift plus thrust greater than load plus drag."

thehawk

Bob Denman
07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Just in case you wanted to know...
One of the Maki brothers set the long distance record for waterskipping on a snowmobile... it was a bit over 50 miles...
he stopped when he ran out of fuel!!! :clap::firstplace:

NancysToy
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
As the Flying Nun once said, "lift plus thrust greater than load plus drag."

thehawk
I always wondered who was the first to say that... :roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I agree that you would have to be in some deep water before the bump skid would have any effect, and by that time you will already be in more trouble than hydroplaning. My mods include the bump skid and i am very pleased with it

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

Illinois Boy
07-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I imagine you meant would the bump-skid cause aero-dynamic lift on the Spyder (rather than hydro-planing).

If that IS your question; I imagine if you go fast enough you might get some "lift" out of the bump-skid, however, the design of the Spyder without one would likely have that problem also to some degree. But you would really have to be moving along pretty fast for that little of a surface to cause a 900 lb. vehicle to start to "take-off".

Unless you are breaking world-record speeds with your Spyder... I cannot see where there would be a concern of "lifting-off".:rolleyes:

hrbeta
07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks all for your replies, not worried about it anymore :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FutureRyder
07-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Unless you are breaking world-record speeds with your Spyder... I cannot see where there would be a concern of "lifting-off".:rolleyes:

Does Doc have the bump skid? ;)

SPYDERPOPS
07-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes, Doc has the BumpSkid! I'm sure he has already tested it at speed!