PDA

View Full Version : exhaust wrap OR spilt oil?!? HELP!!

Bumblebee67
07-14-2012, 10:38 PM
OK, Guru's this is for ya'll... changd my oil (MAYBE spilt a LITTLE) and wrapped my exhaust pipes yesterday. Took her for a test run today and noticed smoke comming out of my left side panel. :yikes: Pulled over and QUICKLY pulled off my side panel and it appeared the smoke was comming off the front exhaust pipe :shocked:. It didn't smell like burning oil, it smelled like the wrap itself, a VERY hot wrap smell. Drove home (about 5 miles back) and immediatly checked it again, and was still smoking only not quite as much, still smelt though. Is this a normal "break-in" for the wrap? I got it from Oreilly's, the only kind they had. :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

BajaRon
07-14-2012, 11:05 PM
OK, Guru's this is for ya'll... changd my oil (MAYBE spilt a LITTLE) and wrapped my exhaust pipes yesterday. Took her for a test run today and noticed smoke comming out of my left side panel. :yikes: Pulled over and QUICKLY pulled off my side panel and it appeared the smoke was comming off the front exhaust pipe :shocked:. It didn't smell like burning oil, it smelled like the wrap itself, a VERY hot wrap smell. Drove home (about 5 miles back) and immediatly checked it again, and was still smoking only not quite as much, still smelt though. Is this a normal "break-in" for the wrap? I got it from Oreilly's, the only kind they had. :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

If you read the instructions for the exhaust wrap it says that you need to 'Cure' your wrap. You do this by incrementally heating the wrap.

You start up the bike and let it idle for a bit until you start to get a bit of smell (or smoke from near the head). The exhaust closest to the head will get hot first. Then you let it cool for a bit, then you repeat a few times. This gives the wrap a chance to cure and it will last a lot longer.

Then you run down the road taking it easy on the throttle. Try to keep moving, no stop and go. Do this for several miles.

If you just run new wrap it will smoke and stink a lot, it won't have the chance to cure and it won't last nearly as long.

MikeinGA
07-15-2012, 01:15 AM

I used Titanium wrap there is no smell or smoke. I got it from:
http://www.motorsports247.com/product/dei/titanium-exhaust-wrap-2x50 You can get on Amazon. com too.

Mike

Bumblebee67
07-15-2012, 07:37 AM
If you read the instructions for the exhaust wrap it says that you need to 'Cure' your wrap. You do this by incrementally heating the wrap.

You start up the bike and let it idle for a bit until you start to get a bit of smell (or smoke from near the head). The exhaust closest to the head will get hot first. Then you let it cool for a bit, then you repeat a few times. This gives the wrap a chance to cure and it will last a lot longer.

Then you run down the road taking it easy on the throttle. Try to keep moving, no stop and go. Do this for several miles.

If you just run new wrap it will smoke and stink a lot, it won't have the chance to cure and it won't last nearly as long.

Thanks Ron. The instructions didn't say anything about "curing" (i'm female, we ALWAYS read instructions first). I only drove 10 miles total, so I guess that would qualify for the first curing, I just didn't repeat the process. Will do that today. Thanks :thumbup:

flybuddy
07-15-2012, 07:43 AM
I've done several exhaust wraps ( mostly on air cooled aircraft engines which the pipes will be hotter ) and smoke is not that uncommon. If you spilled even a few drops of oil onto the wrap you'll get quite a bit of smoke. Take a longer ride and let it cook off.

oldgoat
07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I used Titanium wrap there is no smell or smoke. I got it from:
http://www.motorsports247.com/product/dei/titanium-exhaust-wrap-2x50 You can get on Amazon. com too.

Mike

Did you use the 1" wide or the 2" Titanium wrap ? On Amazon they sell both.

Did you use a hose clamp at each end to secure it?

Warlock
07-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Did you use the 1" wide or the 2" Titanium wrap ? On Amazon they sell both.

Did you use a hose clamp at each end to secure it?
I used 1" on my wife's and hose clamps to secure it. I wrapped her's still on the bike. If I ever do another the pipes will come off for the wrap job. 1" is easier to work with.
David

oldgoat
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I used 1" on my wife's and hose clamps to secure it. I wrapped her's still on the bike. If I ever do another the pipes will come off for the wrap job. 1" is easier to work with.
David

Thanks

dliszews
07-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I used the 2 inch titanium wrap and a good hour ride got rid of
the smoking and smell. I was not real happy with the heat reduction though. I've since cut it off and replaced it with the half inch thick heat shield product. It's great and the outside foil layer can be wiped clean of any spills.

Since I got a PM on what I used, here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/HeatShield-176005-Heatshield-Exhaust-Stainless/dp/B0051UPJIC/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1342392062&sr=1-8&keywords=exhaust+heat+shield

You may be able to use the 1/4 inch thick if you want to save some change.

Bumblebee67
07-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I used a 1" wrap and after Ron's advice I "cured " the wrap this morning. just got back from a 150ish mile or so ride and the smoke and smell is gone. I am not so impressed with the heat reduction either, right now, I don't think it was worth the time, effort and money, but I'll give it a little more time..... :sour:

BajaRon
07-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks Ron. The instructions didn't say anything about "curing" (i'm female, we ALWAYS read instructions first). I only drove 10 miles total, so I guess that would qualify for the first curing, I just didn't repeat the process. Will do that today. Thanks :thumbup:

I am glad to hear it. Females tend to be much smarter than males in this respect. Lamont, being a real man, takes the instructions out of the box and BURNS them before he goes any farther in the install process. :yikes:

And yes, a 10 mile run is a bit severe for the 1st cure cycle but it's not fatal.

It may be you expected too much from the wrap. It reduces the heat noticably but there is still going to be more than you would like. It's a step in the right direction but not a cure. Because the engine is inclosed and because heat is radiating from a number of other sources, the wrap can only do so much.

I guess each has to decide if it was worth the effort. For me it certainly was.

Also, the wrap needs to overlap 1/2 of it's width. So on 1" material you only travel 1/2" for every wrap, on 2" material you'll travel 1" for every wrap. This gives the same double thickness evenly over the length of the pipe.

Also, if you still have the restrictive, stock exhaust it holds the exhaust gases in the exhaust pipe longer and the wrap will be less effective than with a free flowing exhaust that allows the hot gas to exit more readily.